Arang - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Arang Reviews

½ January 17, 2012
What if a horror/thriller/fan/film student had the chance to make his own film? Imagine the shower scene from Psycho with that spooky weird girl from The Grudge in there with you, got that? ... Arang is that film, with familiar elements from all those genres woven into the story of the investigation of an series of bizarre deaths mysteriously tied to a still older unsolved case. Count the twists, turns and loving tips of the hat to Hitchcock ...
½ January 25, 2009
An inept ghost story that tries far too hard to be Ringu or Ju-on.
May 21, 2013
A rather ho-hum and derivative Korean horror thriller that unsuccessfully attempts to blend police procedural together with Asian ghost-story stereotypes. The result is tedious at best....
November 17, 2009
An excellent horror film. I was expecting a typical Asian horror film, like Ringu or Dark Water -- I'm not suggesting that's bad -- but what I saw was more and better. This hybrid of ghost story and detective story is also quite an interesting character study of its two main characters. The stars in nthose roles give excellent performances and the supporting cast are all very good. It is very well photographed and edited. The pacing is slow enough to build atmosphere and suspense but never drags. Even the music is good without being obtrusive. Highly recommended.
½ August 3, 2008
the email in the ending got me. i liked how the scares keep coming. sad ending. i liked it.
So-young: Who becomes a cop to find a first love?
Hyun-ki: Me! *raises his hand*
So-young slaps him on the back of the head.
½ April 8, 2013
I saw this movie again today it is on one of my top ten Asian horror lists. I think that if you like Asian Horror like The Ring or Ju-on this is for you. It starts out with the scares right away but often like much of Asian Horror draws out its horror scenes with the ghost. But I think it manages to work as the ghost is quite frightening to look at. And the story is pretty good as it is involving two detective partners tracking down a murderer except later on they discover at the end it is a vengeful spirit doing the killing. There is also a big twist at the end which I think a lot of people will find pretty dam good although maybe slightly stretched.
December 17, 2011
What a shape shifter this movie is. Arang opens as a ghost story, morphs into a police procedural, then takes brief turns as an emotive chick flick and an art-house film before a final finish as once again a ghost story. There seems to be a plot tying it all together, but damn if I could follow it.

A big part of the problem was the decision to cast notably attractive and distinctly young actors into every role (there's just one middle-aged actor in the entire cast) and to coif them all in the same hair styles. When every character is young, comely, has dark brown eyes and straight black hair, i.e., looks like every other character in the movie, it's hard for the undiscerning Western eye to follow who's who. And when you can't keep track of the characters, it's real hard to follow the plot.
July 26, 2010
What's with asians and ghost girls seeking revenge? That aside this one a is far above par.
April 29, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

This is another good South Korean horror film.
November 27, 2009
This was a pretty decent movie. It is the typical Asian Horror type though. Ghost girl with long hair kills people with a twisted ending. There are a lot of movies out there like that. They have to bring a good story to the table to make the movie work though, plus a really good ending. This movie had a pretty good story and a nice twisted ending. The acting was pretty good too. Yun-ah Song and Dong-Wook Lee did a pretty good job acting in the film. Kim Hae-in did a great job as the ghost Min-jeong. There was actually two parts that really freaked me out that she was in. The only really bad thing about the movie was that it was slow at parts. Also I wish they made Min-jeong look just a bit more creepy. It would of really added to the scare factor.