Ask the Dust Reviews

arashxak
½ November 26, 2007
"I looked for Camilla everywhere,and everywhere I looked,all the faces seemed like mine.Tight. Worried. Lost.
Faces with the blood drained away.Faces like flowers torn from their roots,the colors fading fast."
sanjurosamurai
½ January 25, 2007
this film wanted to be great, and could have been so, but it missed the mark. at least average, it failed with oddities of the story and uncomfortable moments that were unneccesary to the plot. the premise was great but it missed on most everything else.
Harlequin68
March 25, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]In "Ask the Dust", it is the 1930's when Arturo Bandini(Colin Farrell) has had a story published in H.L. Mencken's magazine, American Mercury. With the $150 he receives, he moves from Colorado to Los Angeles where he seeks to pursue a career as a writer. Only one problem: he is an inexperienced young man and has nothing to write about despite the rich palette happening just outside of his window. He is soon down to his last nickel and decides to spend it on a coffee at a local bar. However, the coffee is downright awful and he gets into a running argument with a beautiful waitress, Camilla(Salma Hayek).[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]In "Ask the Dust", 1930's Los Angeles is a place for people to get a new start but too many of them just recreate their old lives and even worse, bring their old prejudices along for the ride. And even Arturo and Camilla cannot escape this. [/font]

[font=Century Gothic]"Ask the Dust" is an adequate movie that starts well but slows down to a crawl and becomes predictable. But it is evocative in recreating 1930's Los Angeles and Colin Farrell gives his best performance to date. [/font]
½ July 17, 2006
Robert Towne's uneven character study has sparse great moments, but there were enough strong ideas to keep me engaged. This is a flawed piece that requires a lot of patience, especially considering the fact that its first act is its weakest. However, the unorthodox protagonist and sexual energy keep it afloat enough for its positive elements to shine through. Colin Farrell, who is a consistently impressive actor, is not given enough credit for his talent. He does quite a good job in this, and Salma Hayek turns in a respectable performance too. If you're willing to overlook its faults, it's an engaging watch.
½ July 6, 2009
I hate to sound like a chauvinist here, but aside from the Salma Hayek nude scenes here nothing else more to see.
April 29, 2010
Enjoyable romance wherein Colin Farrell acts like a total jerk for no reason and Salma Hayek just accepts it because she's Mexican(?) It comes across better than it sounds in a single-sentence summary.
½ November 21, 2011
"You call me beautiful at home, then you are ashamed to be seen with me in public. You are ashamed of beauty you recognize that no one else does. You are ashamed to love me!"
September 12, 2011
Interesting, but mostly forgettable. Hayek and Farrell both do an admirable job portraying a pained courtship of mutual affection but open hostility. Neither one wants to be the "nice guy", but they also feel frustrated with why they treat each other so poorly considering their obvious affections.

Los Angeles during the Great Depression is fascinating and well done. I find the economics also enjoyable, where a nickel buys a cup of coffee, and rent is $10 a month. If nothing else, the movie gives us a clear glimpse of what things might have been like in that era.

I don't think the chemistry between the two was quite right... the sparring sure fit, but it never felt like a smoldering going on behind those mean words. Perhaps Hayek has too strong of a sex appeal and simply outmatches Colin.... dunno, that's one for the ladies to answer.

This should have some appeal to writers and romantics, but it's a slow starter and nothing earth shattering. Quaking, yes... but not shattering. (Inside movie joke)
½ June 24, 2009
I'm going to come off as a pervert, but I don't care. Had Hayek's glorious nudity not been present, the movie would have been an utter waste of time.
February 14, 2009
DUMB MOVIE! "in pursuit of happiness means loving whoever you wants without being afraid"?
STUPID DUMB IDEA! -by cocomango

*uh, haha. dude, it actually makes me cry. boohoo. this is one movie we don't agree with the review, but i agree with your stars. you probably got reasons why.

love salma hayek. i wished she was younger
½ March 3, 2008
A great film with romance born of hatred. The chemistry between Hayak and Farell is magnetic- even if the ocean scene seemed a bit awkward to me. But despite the great soundtrack, acting, and filming, i was disappointed in the end.
*****SPOLERS! *****
*****
why can't tortured characters ever have some bit of happiness? They still would have had more to overcome but to outright kill the lead actress to TB... bleh.
August 5, 2008
Some parts between the main man and love interest is sort of a harsh representation of love, and passion, however, through the intensity of the conflict, in the end, brings great passion, love and forgiveness.
June 25, 2008
Witty and entertaining. Successful in lacking a dull moment. Colin is cruel and endearing, while Selma is difficult and intriguing.
May 31, 2008
I had to watch this becasue of Colin Farrell. I only remember that it was extremely quiet and very slow. But I got to watch Farrell so it was all good.
½ February 28, 2008
This isn't exactly something I would normally see, but Salma Hayek gets nekkid in it....'nuff said. But seriously I thought it was pretty good.
½ February 16, 2008
If you can wade through the opening hour, are patient enough through a few cliches and forgive its predictability, the film is oddly affecting in the end, especially if you have an affinity for old Los Angeles and know what it means to escape the city.
½ February 4, 2008
I my, I had actually pretty low ecpectations from this, but it turned out very well. I love Salma, she's so amazing, wasn't sure about Collin though, but he did great. This was such a different kinda love story, i loved it.
½ May 29, 2007
Chick Flick but didn't play like one. Not my type of movie but it kept my attention and my word I actually liked it!
May 31, 2007
I liked this one, esp. the time period that it takes place in. Made you feel for the characters and what happened to them.
½ May 3, 2007