Assassins Reviews

July 5, 2012
06/07/2012 (DVD)
December 21, 2011
An explosive and pulse-pounding edge of your seat action-packed thriller. It packs a full-clip of riveting suspense and fast-paced action from start to finish. It`s smart, tense, terrific and energetic. A wickedly cool and exhilerating assassin-thriller with well-drawn characters and swift execution. Director, Richard Donner crafts one of his best films ever. Slyvester Stallone and Antonio Banderas are just pure dynamite. Stallone gives a strong and effective performance. Banderas gives a sensational and electrifying performance that shows a side of himself we havent seen before.
CloudStrife84
April 27, 2007
Devoid of substance and plausibility, but for the better part a decent action flick. Altough the action bits are really good, there's too many flaws to get past for me to rate it any higher. One such defect is the absence of intelligent dialogue. Or perhaps I should say dialogue altogether, as the characters almost spend more time talking to themselves than to eachother. None of them are particularily relatable either, and I didn't care much for who made it out alive by the end. I suppose Stallone's characters is meant to be some kind of anti-hero, but he is too stiff and emotionless for me to feel prompted to root for him. As for Antonio Banderas, well, he overplays his character so much that he often became a mere annoyance. The only saving grace in the cast is Julianne More, who at least gives a little effort in her acting. Anyhow, I couldn't help but draw parallels to Bangkok Dangerous, which is like a modern equivalent to this film, that suffers from similar plot problems. Gratefully, however, this isn't as bad. In conclusion: Fairly exciting, but nothing beyond the average.
½ March 17, 2007
A cool fun film, great lead characters, never tire of watching it.
May 25, 2010
A really cool movie about assassins, there's really no way you can't find it entertaining on at least some level. Sylvester Stallone is great, as he always is, playing a very realistic and tragic character that regrets a lot of his past. Antonio Banderas and Julianne Moore play great supporting characters that only make this a more fun movie. The plot was really well done and has great direction from one of the greatest action directors of all time, Richard Donner.
October 8, 2009
I've never liked any Antonio Banderas film much
½ October 1, 2009
I remember seeing this in the cinema. It?s one of the worst films I?ve seen in a cinema!
movieguru12
August 9, 2009
Another great action flick. I enjoyed it alot & would love to watch it again. Sylvester Stallone again is completely & totally awesome in this movie!!!!! :) I love Sly so much!!! Lol. :)
DragonEyeMorrison
April 14, 2008
Jebus was Banderas annoying as hell.
deano
February 6, 2007
July 24, 2007
A hilarious action film with Sylvester Stallone and Antonio Banderas playing competing assassins. I loved the scene where Banderas is waiting and suffering inside a dumpy building, while Stallone is enjoying the luxuries of the hotel across the street. It's great-spirited and has explosive action scenes. It's a whole lot of fun which I chuckled at.
May 30, 2007
Dull action thriller. Not any interesting chaarcters or any likeable ones for that matter. Simplistic brain rot, but not even that entertaining.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 23, 2007
pretty good flick, but banderas got away about 10 times when youre like, "yea right"
garyX
January 2, 2007
Another ridiculous Stallone vehicle in which he lumbers through some reasonably well handled set pieces (directed by Richard Donner of Superman and Lethal Weapon fame) but it's increasingly ludicrous and Banderas is awful.
June 12, 2006
Lethal Weapon series director Richard Donner, a script about assassins from the Wachowski Brothers, John Rambo and El Mariachi all join forces to make one big shitty movie.
June 19, 2011
In order to really enjoy this movie, you have to put your brain in a freezer for 133 minutes and just refrain from trying analyze anything in here. There are more holes in this story.
the two assassins - "Robert Rath" (Sylvester Stallone) and "Miguel Bain" (Antonio Banderas) - enough to make it a fun ride. I might even have rated it another star higher had a few things weren't confusing and left unanswered, or Banderas spoke clearer English. Still, it's not bad .
February 2, 2008
This exciting action film hits hard and fast when Sylvester Stallone and Antonio Banderas square off as Assassins. Very well crafted story. A must watch action flick.
½ January 30, 2012
"Assassins" is another of my guilty pleasures thanks to it being a 90s action flick with my boy, Sylvester Stallone. This is a film that takes it's self too serious and the lack of balance makes it uneven. The script was written by many different talents including the Wachowski brothers but it fizzles out halfway through the film and meanders then on. Julianne Moore whom can do decent work, even if she isn't one of my favorite actresses, is given the role of the computer hacker and when she isn't screaming her head off she is screwing something up only to be saved from her overall cliched performance by a last minute bout of "girl power". If you are looking for a mindless action film with some pretty stylish scenes and a wild performance by Antonio Banderas then check it out. It must be said though that the script wanders on a good half hour past what it could deliver and there is no reason this shouldn't be a quick 90-100 minute action romp.
xxdebxx
March 1, 2010
Sylvester Stallone stars as Robert Rath an assassin who wants to retire and has principles. He ends up protecting Electra (Julianne Moore) from a rival psychopathic assassin (Antonio Banderas) who is an ambitious young rookie, wanting to be at the top and willing to take Stallone out of the picture. I love action movies but whereas the first sequence is clever and thrilling; the film just couldn't keep that up. Reminds me of "The Specialist" but without the steamy bathroom scene!
½ January 3, 2010
A great big-scale action thriller with one of Sylvester Stallone's best performances, he is cool and confident as a veteran hit-man on his last assignment who must deal with a cocky, hot-headed and deadly rival played brilliantly by Antonio Banderas who is extremely menacing here, and is so dangerous that he kills anyone who gets in his way. Banderas steals every scene he is in. And Julianne Moore in a wonderful performance as a beautiful electronics expert who is not what she seems to be. Excellent cinematography and action sequences and fine direction by Richard Donner. Highly Recommended.