43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

July 30, 2010
Gah the ending -_-
Anthony L

January 8, 2013
For everything I liked about Astro Boy there were three things I didn't. I hated the choice of voice casting and the story was pretty horrible when you break it down, it's like Pinocchio but without the charm (and with Child death which never goes down well in cartoons). The animation was very nice though and you could still see its Manga roots - albeit only just. Not good enough to warrant a sequel though, not by a long shot.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

January 7, 2012
Like TMNT, Astro Boy lacks originality and falls short of it's source material. So fans of the anime may be dissapointed but for the rest of us it's actually great to look at. It's not a great movie. But its a fun watch. It's a good kid's movie.
Drake T

June 21, 2011
Astro Boy is a suitable first-entry into the SciFi genre, with all the charm, thrills and fun that its demographic needs in a classic premise of political morality straight from its source material.

However, somewhere along the line when it was thrown through the "Hollywood/Pixar/Dreamworks" blender it comes out the other side as a bit of an emotional derivative for the older audiences.

If anything? It could have (and should have) been hell of a lot darker. I guess the folks at marketing just couldn't bring themselves to making this cute little guy as mature and sophisticated as he was meant to be.

Still, for what it is it's entertaining and more than watchable.
michael e.
michael e.

January 2, 2011
A very fun and entertaining, cg retelling of the classic anime and manga
James A

September 8, 2010
An enjoyable kids movie.
Alexis N

July 8, 2010
"..just okay" seems to be what i hear and it's how i feel about it too. it's not really for kids. death, evil dads, war.. it's not like disney's robots (which is such a good movie). it's mostly depressing.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

October 21, 2009
CAST: Freddie Highmore, Nicolas Cage, Bill Nighy, Donald Sutherland, Eugene Levy, Kristen Bell, Ryan Stiles, Matt Lucas, Madeline Carroll

DIRECTED BY: David Bowers

SUMMARY: Astro Boy follows the adventures of a young-yet-powerful robot who, in the hopes of winning his inventor-father?s heart, sets off on a quest to rid the world of evil. However, he soon discovers that his home, Metro City, stands on the brink of destruction, and it is up to him to save the day as well as his friends and family.

MY THOUGHTS: "I should have passed on this one.. Waste of a rent for me. My niece although liked it, so maybe this is more for the kids. I on the other hand got quite bored and was dozing off. It just didn't keep me interested. But might be for others."
Nicki M

October 21, 2009
Didn't do a whole lot for me, but kids movies rarely do. Animation is attractive to look at. The pre teen boy in your life will probably love it.
EightThirty .

January 29, 2010
29/01/2010 (CINEMAS)

I enjoyed this movie today... quite a treat but I wish it was in 3D cause visually, its quite ordinary although the animation is more advance than the original TV series... I don't know? maybe they planned it that way!!

I liked how they harmonized the story from the 1960's version with the more recent version of the Astro Boy series. If you're interested in this film then try and find time to watch the first episode of the 1960's series and the first episode of the more recent version of the series. Doing this should enhance your enjoyment as you notice the nice blend of both the old and older storylines.

Another thing I enjoyed was the tweaks and smart adjustments in how Astro boy came to be where as the original was very fairy-tale and didn't quite cover that area, mind you kids would of never noticed anyway so I guess it doesn't matter anyway. However,. I did enjoy all the parts I was familiar with from the series like his first experience in flying and his beaming eyes which is nicely done in this movie... I really am pleased that nothing much was changed in the Astro Boy's Character and abilities... its the same Astro Boy but with better animation!!

[[..p.s.. stop watching the copied movies on the net. There's nothing quite like the Cinemas!!! ... Experience the real thing!!!! ^_^ !!!!!]]
Rico Z

October 30, 2009
Picture
If you're a fan of sleek computer animated fare the likes of which Pixar is known for: spot-on casting; impeccable animation; and a powerful, nearly perfect plot--then you've come to see the wrong movie. Astro Boy is nowhere near the level of a Pixar film, but you already knew that. Just look at the film's trailer and yuo will notice the more crude style of animation and the atypical voice cast including--Nic Cage?

But, then again, it's never Astro Boy's intention to compete with its upper crust superiors. It simply exists to appease the appetite of fanboys who have been following the Astro Boy saga for decades. It is a film tailor-made for people who appreciate nostalgia over substance--and even over style. That's not to say that this movie is bad, by any stretch.

After a brush with tragedy, Astro Boy is reconstructed and shaped to be a stronger, more agile version of a boy whose father is blindly seeking to replace. But soon, things take a turn into the fantastical realm of adventure as the boy finds out that he's capable of being much more than just a "good boy." He can fly, scale building and use his jet propulsion to ward off the enemy (in this case voiced by a malevolent version of Donal Sutherland.)

The movie is campy; not very well-animated and still a pleasure to watch. It's not really important in which medium the story is told--but that it's being told to begin with. And, although the story may be somewhat predictable and done a million times before, the film is evidently a labor of love by those who were dedicated to its creation. It's nothing to be ashamed of by any means.

So, while some fans may not appreciate its levels of execution, the die-hards will surely feel appeased and may even go as far as saying they enjoyed it. I have never really been a fan; but I found myself having a good time (once I got over any preconceived notions of what I was going to watch.) It's good family fun with a nod to the kids who grew up wondering what it would be like to be a boy with such power. To those who may still be wondering, all you have to do is step into the world of Astro Boy and find out for youself.
Apeneck F

September 2, 2009
nicky cage and donny sutherland endeavor mightily but cannot save this from tired mediocre writing...
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

October 21, 2009
what a fun movie. the flick contained a few logical flaws in the script and nicholas cage's voice didnt fit his character all that well, but i liked every other thing about this film quite a bit. the movie was fun, the script was concieved well, and the characters all fit into the story well. this is about as good as one can expect from an animated film.
Aaron N

September 22, 2009
Astro: [excited] I got machine guns...in my butt!

A poorly made CG film adaptation of the classic manga/anime Astro Boy. There are some nice looking action sequences, but for a premise which deals with a lot of dark material and complex themes, this film misses every single dramatic note that would be required to have an effective story.

Set in a future time, where the main part of society now exists on Metro City, a city floating in earth's sky, the story follows Toby, a brilliant little boy, who's father, Dr. Tenma (voiced by Nic Cage), is a top scientist working on some top secret stuff for military funding. During a demonstration, a freak accident ends in the death of Toby.

Faster than you can say emotional story beat, Dr. Tenma goes seemingly mad with grief and builds a robot replica of his son, with all the same memories and powered by powerful blue energy core that stands for good. However, Dr. Tenma doesn't feel anything for this robot copy and rejects Toby.

Toby is eventually chased by the military, hoping to harness his core power, eventually resulting in Toby's fleeing to the earth's surface, where he meets some new friends his age and seeks to find his true meaning in his new life as a powerful robot.

There is potential for so many different story arcs and themes to be explored deeper, but the movie does not want to take advantage of any of that. Instead, there are a lot fast-paced plot switches and action scenes, which may look nice but don't a good movie make. And it's not fair to say that as a kid's movie this shouldn't be a problem, because there are plenty of films geared towards children that do address story elements to enhance the the drama and characters, opposed to action.

So what's left to say...its colorful, there is action, some good voice work, but nothing handled well enough for a compelling story, save for very few elements.

Ham Egg: Wait, robots aren't aloud to harm humans. Its a 50 year old law.
Zog: I'm old school.
deano
deano

March 18, 2008
I was exciting to see this first Japanese's TV Manga series goes into the motion picture at finally with use CGI because I'm such a fan of the title hero when I was a kid in the early 1980s from watching it on ABC-TV (Australia's TV channel).
With Pixar-Disney and DreamWorks Animation dominating the CGI front, Astro Boy comes as something from left-field. Produced by Hong Kong-based Imagi Animation Studios and directed by David Bowers, it has the requisite big name voice cast and technical gee-wizardry, but it's also something truly different. Its rich atmospherics are strongly influenced by anime, which is fitting considering the original Astro Boy television show's pioneering place in that genre.
That's just the start of an adventure that's loaded with fantastic action and tremendous characters. But there are deeper themes amongst the stunning computer-generated visuals - such as alienation, destiny and discrimination. Like all great films, much care has been invested into the minor characters, and the voice cast is uniformly excellent (Bill Nighy's sympathetic Dr. Elefun and Donald Sutherland's power-hungry President Stone are stand-outs).
Dann M

July 28, 2012
Astro Boy is a fun and exciting animated film that explores some unusually deep topics. The story follows a scientist who builds a robot to replace his dead son; but when the son discovers that he's a robot, he goes out into the world to find his life's purpose. Freddie Highmore, Kristen Bell, Donald Sutherland, and Nicolas Cage do an excellent job at voicing the characters and giving them distinct personalities. Additionally, the animation is quite good and has a strong, crisp visual style that works for the futuristic look of the film. With some interesting messages about identity and plenty of exciting action, Astro Boy makes for a fun adventure.
PantaOz
PantaOz

December 16, 2011
Astro Boy, also called Atom (アトム, Atomu) in Japan, is a 2009 computer-animated film loosely based on the long-running Japanese series of the same name by Osamu Tezuka...

I am not a great fan of this type of movies but this animation which was adapted for a western audience was very watchable! Imagi had several discussions on how round and curvy Astro's body proportions should be and in the end they were made to be more lean. Also there were issues on Astro's rear end being too small, and that too was altered after talks with Tezuka. The by-product of these changes was Astro's Caucasian look, which I did not mind at all... it seems that Japanese did not like it and the film was not a big hit in Japan. But in China broke a box-office record for a CG animated film!

I can understand why... it was interesting story for the younger audience but I can not say that there was anything special. Just solid piece of work of experience crew members who did just enough for a positive review. I think it could be a nice Christmas present for your 8 year old!
Fascade F

July 25, 2011
Super-surreal cartoon about a little boy who's love for science took him further than he could ever use in his young imagination. His father serving as a current head of the "Ministry of Science" in the mystical island of Metro City is coerced into utilizing the spheres of energy for political gain. During the experiment the little boy gets caught in the experiment and winds up being an unfortunate casualty. Out of his grief, the father decides to re-create a replica of his lost son in the form of a robot with powers and ability way beyond the expectations of himself and the whims of the politician. This is an incredible journey that you would not want to miss! Please see this!
cobaein
cobaein

July 5, 2010
Surely like the Cartoon one, Yes kids Will like this Movie.
What happens if You told kids to read heavy book of science, da vinci, etc? will they read? :) Children type, they like to have fun. or They prefer a comics rather than that books. Astro is A robot that has an human heart, even sometimes more than human. Because he would safrifice his life for human. Well done Astro or Toby... :D