ATL

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

November 15, 2009
A New American Story

The movie was good and it had it's good moments. The story is not that great but decent enough. The acting was so-so from everyone, still entertaining and it pass really quickly. The attitudes, style and environment puts you right on the streets down south and that's why it was good.

A tightly knit group of working-class Atlanta teens spend their time bonding over hip-hop and roller skating while pondering life after high school in director Chris Robinson's coming-of-age comedy drama that draws inspirations from the real-life childhoods of Dallas Austin and Tionne Watkins. For a kid growing up on the south side of Atlanta, the Cascade roller-skating rink is the place to be seen, and it's the place where the orphaned high school senior Rashad (Tip Harris) and his little brother Ant (Evan Ross) go every weekend to forget their financial troubles, hang with their friends and get their groove on. But outside the rink, the brothers have problems they can't avoid: Ant is being recruited into the posse of charismatic drug dealer Marcus (Outkast's Antwan Andre Patton, aka Big Boi). Meanwhile, Rashad's three best friends -- including the ambitious Esquire (Jackie Long) -- are pulling him in different directions, and his new girlfriend New-New (Lauren London) may not be as "street" as she seems. As Rashad tries to hold on to his little brother, he also comes to the realization that if he's ever going to make something of himself, he's going to have to step out of his skates and into the real world.
Bobby H

April 29, 2008
The movie is okay, as it tells the story of life through the eyes of some ATL hood residents.
It's entertaining to see the differences between neighborhoods, and follow the life of the people in the movie - but the movie seemed to forget a moral? You can make up your own, but there really was just no major point in it.
It started strong, then kept going and going until an end where it ended up just the same as the beginning? Maybe, "Apperciate what you have, it could be all you ever will have".

Fun to watch, but obvious loss potential makes you wonder what it could of been.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 2, 2008
I didn't know rollerskating had such a big influence on Atlanta.
TI shows great potential, Big Boi puts on the best performance.
EightThirty .

August 31, 2007
Its All Good ^_^
Fascade F

December 16, 2007
A pretty good story about a guy trying to get his life and opriorities straight while his brother tried to get back int the life he is trying to get out of...
Erin C

April 25, 2006
I thought it was a decent movie that didn't strictly focus on the drug aspect. They had the roller skating, which was interesting, and the script didn't have a lot of cussing, which was a nice change.
June 25, 2012
It was good, kinda like Baby Boy. It's not as adult mite be same director tho, I'm not sure. I don't know why I get sucked into these VH1 movies. Not nearly as bad as half the movies that come out aimed at young teens. It was serious and funny which is a nice combination and T.I. did pretty well suprisingly. Easy movie to relate to even if you weren't raised in a "ghetto" and interesting. The setting was good.
January 27, 2009
An interesting side of Atlanta I didn't know about, roller skating. It was fun and easy going, but nothing groundbreaking other than it confronted certain stereotypes of race in a postive way.
February 17, 2012
Evan Ross is a rising star. The plot has been done before in multiple ways, in multiple films, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
November 8, 2010
T.I. in the wonderful African American drama proves his talent beyond the stage by putting on a brilliant performance in ATL. The story surrounds a group of kids desperately trying to maintain their street credit while at the same time becoming known as the top roller skate group in their social scene. But, this movie goes so much further than that... there is so much depth to this story that it would be a shame to miss this wonderful masterpiece. You must see it... it was excellent!
tmannamt
October 7, 2010
A very colorful movie with a great soundtrack and nice chemistry with all of the cast. Everything else the message has to offer like about the importance of school/education, drug dealing is bad and how friendships with your friends and family is important is nothing new, and it's all pretty common sense, don't get me wrong it's a great message but all of that will flow into your viewing of this, it is lighter than other coming of age hood movies, so don't be so hesitant to check this out!
imvucomnickcom
November 20, 2009
i dnt care wat nobodii say, i love dha movie, and for dha people dat said dey cant wait fo thiss rap trend 2 die; 1day yu gone wish yu didnt say it
sweettiny06
January 3, 2007
CAN NOT STOP WATCHIN THIS MOVE...SO REFINED!
AND GOT TO SAY, T.I IS SMOKIN HOTT!!!

can not stop watching this movie. honestly, ti is soo f***king HOTT!! whoo! smoking!!!!

OMG!! T.I is a fine guy in this movie! you havetah see this!! i'm tellin' you
mistere1703
March 29, 2006
it was an aight movie but it was for high school not grown folks but it stays tru to the south and keeps it G.
mondragon227
July 1, 2008
ATL is a great movie for those who are looking for a real-life drama. It takes place in a lower middle class neighborhood in Atlanta, Georgia (ATL). The film is about a group of high school students and the challenges and struggles that they go through during there last year of school. The movie revolves around the local skating rink Cascade, and is heavy based on relationships. The relationship between two brothers who have lost their parents unexpectedly and early in life and are then forced to live with their Uncle George played by Mykelti Williamson, who is not a very good role model for the boys. The only image that you get from him is that he could give two-shits about the brothers, and is only there for a place to rest his neck. It is about the relationship between four friends who have grown up together, and stuck together through good times and bad. And it is also about a new relationship that forms between TI's character Rashad; the older brother trying his hardest to help out with the family, stay in school, and keep is younger brother "Ant," who has worked his way into dealing for a local drug dealer, afloat and out of a life of drugs and crime, and Lauren London's character "New New"; the upper class, privileged daughter of a high society father John Garnett played by Keith Davis, who refuses to let his daughter hang out with her lower middle class friends and forbids her from going to the skating rink. Her father has made his way to the top, working his way out of the hood and into upper class white America by selling out and never looking back. His tight-pant-wearing, nose in the air, white, golfer friends are unaware of the lifestyle he lived as a child. He simply deleted his childhood of coming up in the hood from the pages of his life. The movie is basically a modern "Romeo and Juliet" with a southern hood twist. The soundtrack is unbelievable if you're into Hip-Hop music. I grew up in the South, even lived in Atlanta for a while, and can remember the weekends spent at the skating rink. Those times where some of the best of my life, and I can easily relate to this movie. It is true to the South, and true to real life. The movie has a great cast, some new to the big screen, but all wonderful actors. Tip "TI" Harris is great in the film. Who would have known he had it in him. And Lauren London...simply amazing. She made me feel like I was her in that old school El Camino kissing TI for the first time, nerves going crazy and imagination running wild. Director Chris Robinson pulled the movie together superbly. This was his first movie, he has produced and directed several music videos in his career, but I think he has found his new calling in film. This movie, along with its sound track is a definite buy!!!
edgeoftheocean
July 16, 2007
At first I didn't want to give this movie a chance but when I actually sat through the whole thing it turned out to be great.
brich051
July 22, 2008
Movie was kinda corny. They really tried to come up with something interesting and it just fell short.
BlackPrince64
July 8, 2008
I WOULD COMPARE THIS ONE TO SAY MAYBE A "BOYZ IN THE HOOD" BECAUSE YOU DO HAVE THE KID TRYING TO MAKE CHOICES BUT NOT BEING ABLE TO GET OUT OF THE MENTALITY OF THE STREET ALONG WITH THE BROTHER WHO'S BROUGHT INTO IT ACCIDENTALLY. THE ROLES WERE REVERSED LOL!!
expreshun2u
June 15, 2008
good movie. Lauren London is a very beautiful actress who actually did a great job in the movie. I wasn't totally convinced about TI character in the movie but the story was well writtten & well acted by a lot of people including Big Boi.
Wwwnekko
May 18, 2008
It teaches about how some people had to live but at the same time theres love. It's none stop music and movement.