Auschwitz - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Auschwitz Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ February 9, 2014
Auschwitz is an awful docudrama that tries to recount the atrocities of the Nazis during the Second World War. The film might have been a good documentary, but the level of inaccuracies presented here is far too many to mention. We are given a film that is a poorly thought out, poorly researched documentary on what happened in Auschwitz. The level of inaccuracy here is insulting to the victims and survivors because I feel that if you are to tackle a subject about something as tragic as the Holocaust, you ought to do it right. This is a poorly made effort, with no sense of trying to capture the real events on film, and the methods recreated on film, are not accurate and questionable. This should have been far better, and it's a shame that the film had this level of inaccurate content within the film in order to recreate what happened. However, Auschwitz is a pointless, awful film that doesn't do the subject justice. The most stunning work on the Holocaust is Claude Lanzmann nine hour documentary Shoah, which is the finest work on the subject. That film goes in depth about the crimes committed by the Nazis and it's told in a brilliant, subtle way that it stays with you long after you've seen it. But this film on the other is a film to avoid and it not worth seeing because you'll never get the full story of the Holocaust out of such a thinly layered movie. This film doesn't go in depth, and you are left wanting to know a lot more on the Holocaust. Give Shoah a viewing instead, you'll be glad you did.
½ December 19, 2013
Uwe Boll was never much of a director, I will grant you that. And the bookend interviews here are not focused. But what you witness in this movie, in all it's stomach turning brutality, and "banality of evil" understatement, is without question the most honest and thoughtful movie ever made about the Holocaust. There is no salvation, no redemption, just immeasurable horror. You can almost smell the crematory fires, and I panicked a bit when I coughed during the gas chamber scene. It is unrelentingly visceral and it will disturb you. And that is the point. It outrages the conscience to witness the precise depiction Boll put on film; but using that as an objection against this film, misses the point by miles. Even Adolph Eichmann was reduced to silence after witnessing what happened at Birkenau; even the architect couldn't stomach the slaughterhouse he built. And if we are to say "never again" and mean it, we must allow our consciences to be shocked. Because if we don't, we're living in a fantasy land where some sliver of good can always be salvaged from limitless evil.
½ June 15, 2012
severely devoid of laughs. disappointed.
February 25, 2012
Considering Rampage I'm interested to see if Boll has made any further improvements
November 17, 2011
Uwe Boll... That is all.
October 8, 2011
i hope to god that this will somehow turn out to be a good movie, because if it is anything like uwe bolls past attempts at directing, a lot of people will be offended.
½ August 14, 2011
Keep well away. I expected something with a story. It is a poorly made documentary that interviews German students about Auzchwitz with a few poorly acted scenes of Jews in trains and then naked in gas chambers. I think the most poorly made film I haveever seen.
If anyone wants to be educated about the horrendous holocaust by the medium of film, they should watch the wonderfully made Schindlers List.
July 12, 2011
Not recommended. No plot just part bad documentary (German teenagers saying they don't remember the Holocaust) and part bad drama (extras standing about naked in a room looking bewildered)