• R, 2 hr. 10 min.

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Baby Boy Reviews

Conner R

May 18, 2010
I can't really rate this accurately because I still have no idea if it was supposed to be an accurate depiction or mockery of the ghetto life. I'm going to say that it is because that's the best way to watch it. Saying that, it is by far one of the funniest and perfect satires to ever exist. John Singleton takes the stereotypes of the culture and throws them into the real world, making for a hilarious result. The characters are almost all crazy and devoid of any logic. The story is literally about a man juggling his two baby-momas with his home life. I think this was an odd yet bold move for John Singleton because it questions a lot about the stereotypical thug life.
kpn666
kpn666

March 10, 2009
Though not quite up to the standards of Boyz n the Hood, Baby Boy does take us back to the ghetto, but what Boyz n the Hood set out to define the ghetto life, Baby Boy goes further with an unusual theory... and come around to the point where it teaches young men to learn responsibility. Its a wake up call to the lazy, child-like losers of the world to get out and be a real man and make it on your own.

This is probably Tyrese's best performance, he fit the part perfectly. Watch Jody as his life revolve around his excesses and his irresponsibility, with his numerous babies and dealing with their mama's, other women and hustling stolen clothes to earna quick buck with his homie.

Things begin to fall apart when his mother brings home a new boyfriend, in the shape of ex-con turned straight Melvin, a giant who tries to keep his cool under Jody's constant criticisms and selfishness. Then after being cauht out numerous times cheating on his current pregnant girlfriend, she dumps him... and dealing with her ex-boyfriend who just got released from gaol and has unfinished business with Jody.

Toss in his tired mother, his young son Junior and the numerous other women in his life, Jody needs to learn quick about being a man before he doesn't get the chance and loses everything in his life.

Its defintley a John Singleton movie, meaning not another white person in sight. XD Plus its teeming with sexuality to point it does become hilarious but interesting enough... just gotta love it for the entire black style from pimping to hustling and to cursing and insults.

A nice flick, nothing really special, just a contemporary look into the life of a young black male in the new millenium.
Tim S

July 30, 2007
Singleton has officially lost it.
James A

March 20, 2006
Baby Boy is as if you got Boyz N Da Hood and decided that it should be more like Tales from the Hood and then throw in some diologue from Soul Plane. A horrible pale version of the masterpiece Boyz N the Hood.
Sean G

August 26, 2010
Ving Rames banging this guys mom hopping through the house...priceless.
Lee K

March 5, 2008
i thought snoop was hilarious in this, he can play an asshole with the best of them
November 26, 2012
It was just like watching a cartoon. There is no lesson to be learned here except how hilarious the word "nigga" can be.
July 2, 2012
Apart from all the 'baby mama drama', it's a decent enough John Singleton flick that's not Boyz N' the Hood. I thought Ving Rhames was by far the best thing about the movie, it's a shame there wasn't more of him in this(or maybe too much in a certain scene hah).
brandankurtis
December 29, 2010
Jody is a unemployed immature young man who isn't committed to anything or anyone but himself. He has two children out of wedlock he does not financially support. He leeches off his mother living at home. He tries to act like a gangster in the streets. That act does not fool anyone in his neighborhood. He's thought of as soft.

His mother takes up with a veteran gangster called Mel. Jody feels left out as Mel becomes the man of the house. Mel tries to school Jody on how to be a real man. Jody doesn't take the lesson. Mel and Jody have a fight. It's like when a older stronger lion chases a weaker younger out the pride to fend for themselves. Jody is out on his own.

He shacks up with one of his kids moms. She has some kind of relationship with a hard core gangster that beens in prison called Rodney. When Rodney comes home he causes problems for Jody. It's time for Jody to be a man and face this hard core gangster. Jody unable to kill him only wounds him, but it sends a strong enough message he will protect his own. Shook up and scared he turns to Mel who without words understands what Jody is going through. Mel uses his street mentality to put Jody back together and calm him. The two share a bond now. Jody leaves his mother's house to become a man on his own with one of his mother's children. The one he loves.

Tyrese Gibson was stellar as Jody. Great performance. As a viewer I got caught up in his story because I thought he was an immature punk at times and felt sorry for him other times when Mel and Rodney backed him down. Ving Rhames gave a powerful showing as Mel. When he has Jody in a headlock letting him know what he would do to a weak man in prison was real to the bone. Ving Rhames commands every part he is in. Snoop Dogg was low down dirty Rodney. Snoop Dogg's best acting I've seen. He owned that part. He played the bad guy to perfection.

John Singleton's best movie. Much better than Boyz n the Hood. More real and powerful with heart. I expected Mel was going to have to deal with Rodney. Singleton did not go that route and out smarted this viewer.
shag2469
May 20, 2009
oh great another sorry black man portrayed on film, living with mama having more than one woman and there are kids involved which he ain't taking care of.....thanks for perpetuating the negative black stereotypes John
QuitaL
April 27, 2007
I put off watching this movie cause I thought it would be awful. It wasn't all that bad, just not something I'm a big fan of.
ladyj061370
June 21, 2008
Melvin: You know what your problem is, baby boy? You got shit all twisted. You got an Oedipus complex. You want your mamma to be your woman, but this is my woman. *My* woman!
cadetblair200877
June 1, 2008
the first time I seen this movie it reminded me of my past and how I use to treat girls and how it was wrong and everything and so it helped me to treat weman better then I use to....
JaredsBaby
May 21, 2008
This part was made for Tyrese, and I thought Snoop character was so funny, even though he was not suppose to be.
October 23, 2007
Not as memorable as Boyz in the Hood, but there is some truth in it. Provides some insight into the mind of someone not quite a man, but not quite a boy either, and the stages of life. Worth a look.
supastar031
March 12, 2008
this is a really good movie and it teaches all dem boys out der that need to take care of their responsibilities
November 16, 2007
Not a cliche like i thought it would be at first but still it falls far from what i consider a good film. Maybe cause Tyresse had no emotion what so ever but yet he still find roles in Hollywood!!?? Serious, watching Omar Gooding was probably the only good thing about this aside from Ving Rhames. Another lead and this movie could have been something special.
DIRTEEEE30
July 2, 2007
A VERY FUNNY MOVIE......I'VE SEEN SOME OF MY RELATIONSHIPS IN THIS MOVIE AND I KNOW THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE..........
lisacupcakin2
December 3, 2007
This made me feel like men could really change bcause he was just a man who lived wit his mama to a man who wanted 2 support his family.
wmx7tx
September 16, 2007
Great story and direction by John Singleton and the best cast of the year with Raimes and Henson standing out.