Baby It's You Reviews

Harlequin68
½ August 6, 2009
Written and directed by John Sayles, "Baby It's You" is on the surface a genuinely heartfelt romance. Like a lot of Sayles' other movies(this is his only studio movie to date), it also works on a political level as it relates to perceptions and class.

It is 1967 and Jill Rosen(Rosanna Arquette) is a high school senior in Trenton, New Jersey who is interested in becoming an actress and has auditioned for the lead in the school play. Sheik(Vincent Spano), a new student, asks her out for a date which she at first declines but eventually succumbs to his charm.(I thought Sheik was originally a Rudolph Valentino reference and no doubt he is handsome. I was shocked at the real reason for the nickname which is revealed late in the movie.) He is going in the opposite direction as Jill, rarely attending his own classes and occasionally attending hers.

Inside of the cocoon of their high school lives and routines, Jill and Sheik come together but things change as they move out into the wider world and encounter different attitudes and people that have an effect on them. "Baby It's You" starts in a world that still resembles the 1950's in many ways set to a Frank Sinatra soundtrack but ends up in the conflicted 1960's, minus any reference to Vietnam. And to its credit, the movie does end on a truly lovely note.
September 5, 2009
So, I'm on kind of a weird "stalker" quest...to watch all of Robert Downey Jr's movies (not just because he's gorgeous, but I want to see his progression as an actor). Well, I blinked and missed his part...after a very slow fast forward through the movie again, I saw a brief flash of his face on the dance floor in the high school prom scene. So, that was a bit of a disappointment!

I had expected to hate this movie based mostly on the Netflix rating and the fact that it was from 1983 and I'd never even heard of it. What a surprise! It was really quite good.The plot was intelligent and definitely kept me hooked. Vincent Spano was excellent in the sexy bad boy role and I really like Rosanna Arquette. Definitely worth renting...
Harlequin68