Back to the Future - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Back to the Future Reviews

Page 1 of 2039
½ March 20, 2007
Just watched this for the first time in over a decade. This time in remastered high def picture and sound. My daughter and I loved it. She even cheered when Marty made the trip back home!
October 27, 2007
I love Back to the Future. While having a typical 80s feel to it, which I like, I love how fun, irresistible and original the film is. The special effects are dazzling and the comedy is suitably sly and sophisticated. Helping along the way is a script that is pretty ingenious, the sort of script that has quotable lines and also pokes fun at 1950s icons and lifestyles during the frequent bouts of time travelling. The score by Alan Silvestri elevates the sense of fun to a greater level, the main theme is one of the most memorable themes ever in the history of film, or so I think anyway. Robert Zemekis's direction is very good, and the cinematography, scenery and costumes are also excellent. And I have to mention the acting, Michael J Fox is really appealing in the role of Marty McFly, the role that propelled him to stardom, and Christopher Lloyd is brilliant in one of his most memorable roles(and yes this includes Judge Doom from Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Professor Plum from Clue). Lea Thompson and Crispin Glover are also great. Overall, brilliant film that is good in so many ways. 4 stars 10-27-07 (Updated)
November 5, 2013
Oh yes, an 80's classic that still is the talk of the town whenever words like best blockbuster flicks of all time are thrown into a conversation. Quite honestly, I remember seeing snippets of "Back to the Future" when I was younger, but never did I sit through from the opening scene to the ending credits. Finally in the year 2013, after 28 memorable years of movies, I can proudly say that I have finally seen one of the greatest blockbusters of all time.

28 years... it's really been that long? Undoubtedly, "Back to the Future" shows some age: Michael J. Fox is extremely young, the special effects look dated, and the camerawork isn't on the same caliber as today's standards. But those are only just minor complaints for an otherwise impeccably well-made film. What holds it up after the test of time? It's the interesting premise involving the paradox of time travel that still continues to be mimicked by multiple other Sci-fi flicks. Premise alone is nothing, but with effective drama, real tension, and entertaining narrative dips and dives, "Back to the Future" manages to be a well-rounded blockbuster movie. "Back to the Future" was and still is a one-of-a-kind.

With a new generation of film lovers coming our way, I'm afraid that "Back to the Future"'s gonna be forgotten in a pile of other movies that were directly influenced by "Back to the Future" itself. Don't let its age scare you. It is worth your time and is one of those few rare flicks that is rewatchable time and time again.
½ July 24, 2013
Smart, innovating and classical in every way. Robert Zemeckis' sci-fi adventure is filled with historical references that's constructive and filled with joy and laughter. Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd provide a masterful form of chemistry that is a rarity in film. 4.5/5
Market Man
July 30, 2012
A highly entertaining time-travel film that perfectly balances comedy and drama. The characters are memorable and the story is suspenseful and hilarious. Also, great score by Alan Silvestri.
July 3, 2007
There's not enough words in the dictionary to truly justify this movie's greatness. It's like asking what Einstein is to science or Leonardo Da Vinci is to art. No matter how well you try to summarize, you're not gonna be able to encompass every facet of their brilliance.

The same thing goes for this impeccable masterpiece, which to this day (and probably until the day I depart from this world), ranks as the best sci-fi comedy I've ever seen. My love for it, after what I reckon to be about 12-15 viewings, is still as immense as to be called immeasurable. I know it may sound like I'm exaggerating, but that's how much it means to me.

Watching it for the first time, was one of the great cinematic highlights of my childhood, and also a significant contributor in what got me interested in movies in the first place. So to me, this is so much more than just two hours of pristine entertainment; it's one of the profounding sparks that ignited my imagination and innermost creativity (a gift for which I'll be forever grateful).

Director Robert Zemeckis, along with dream-team producers Spielberg-Kennedy-Marshall, has truly captured lightning in a bottle here. An amazing, stellar and captivating ride altogether, that ironically enough, remains a timeless piece of pure Hollywood magic.
February 7, 2012
Back to the Future is a hilarious, imaginative, and unforgettable time-travel adventure. It's well-acted, well directed and edited, and it's spirit is immense. The science is actually thoroughly explained so it makes perfect sense which makes it great fun for audiences of all ages. Back to the Future will keep people coming back again and again. The only reason I didn't give it perfect is because it does get a little hokey and cheesy in places. But they are minor details....
June 24, 2007
First movie of the Back to the Future triology, the original is always the best. Doc Brown makes a time machine out of a Deloran car. Marty gets sent back in time by accident to when his parents first met. Full of interesting characters. Imagine seeing your parents as they were young and not how they recall things. He gets caught up with his mum, dad, Doc and the class bully Biff. Can Marty make it back in time before his whole existence is eliminated?
December 11, 2011
One of the few films from my childhood that hold up as a classic when I rewatch them today. Bob Zemeckis injected the perfect amount of Frank Capra-esque goodhearted spirit into this masterpiece.
May 13, 2011
Dr. Emmett Brown: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.

"Mart McFly just broke the time barrier. Now he has one week to fix it."

Back to the Future is one of the quintessential films of the 80's. Not only is it the greatest time travel movie ever, but it is also one of the most fun movies ever. There is so much in the movie to like. From the quirky Doc Brown to the dance where Marty plays "Johnny B. Goode." The movie is the very definition of classic. It works as an action/adventure, a sci-fi and a comedy, all with extreme precision. This is one of those movies that you can watch over and over again, and never grow tired of it.

A crackpot scientist invents a time machine out of a car. When he is showing it off to Marty, a band of terrorists kill him because Doc ripped them off to get the plutonium. Marty then goes back in time to 1955 where he runs into his parents and seeks the help of a younger Doc Brown. Now Marty must make sure his parents get together and he must still manage to make it... Back to the Future.

The film features a pretty good 80's cast, with Michael J. Fox in the lead role. My favorite performance of the movie comes from Crispin Glover as George McFly. Christopher Lloyd as Doc Brown is also great. Robert Zemeckis really came up with something amazing with the story. If you don't have fun while watching this movie, more than likely there is something wrong with you.

The movie is a pure extravaganza of all the great things that went into a good 80's movie. It has the soundtrack, the story and feel that could only come from the 80's. This is the best film in the trilogy and I really like all three. I would have hated to have been alive when the first movie came out because it would have been hard to wait those 4 years for the second film. Thank God for television, there isn't a week where you don't see these movies on.
February 19, 2008
The best one out of the whole trilogy. The DeLorean, Marty's mom being in love with Marty & Marty's sucessful attempt of putting his parents back together with Doc's help. Another one of my all-time favorite movies! :) It's an absolute dream! :) :) :) :) :) :)
Directors Cat
November 2, 2011
A very witty and impressively done film which I expected to be more goofy and camp then quotable and funny. What makes Back to the Future what it is though is the stellar and charismatic performances by its hilarious lead cast.
September 5, 2011
Along with "Stand By Me", this was my favorite movie when I was a kid. In fact, if I remember correctly, it might have been the first movie my family owned on VHS. All sentimentality aside, this movie is still as charming today as it was in the 80's. The characters are great and the storytelling is very cohesive considering it's ambitious scope. I don't think I really have to recommend this movie, you've already seen it, and I'm sure you enjoyed it. If there's one flaw to point out, it would be the overexposure of Huey Lewis music. Of course, any Huey Lewis is too much Huey Lewis. Just saying.
July 31, 2011
Hadn't watched any of the BTTF's until a couple of months ago. Glad I found the hidden treasure, especially with this one in particular. It's a classic for a reason, and will never get old to me.
November 12, 2006
When an eccentric inventor makes a time machine out of a DeLorean, a high school kid is accidentally sent back to the year 1955 where his presence has unexpected consequences on the future. The film that made both Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd stars, Back To The Future is a perfect blend of action and comedy that takes the old sci-fi chestnut of the time paradox and runs with it making for an inventive and hugely enjoyable family friendly romp. It has loads of amusing pop culture references and pokes fun at society's obsession with gadgets (it's odd to think that 1985 is nearly as far back now as 1955 was then) and has a great sense of nostalgia for days gone by. Fox makes the most of his boyish charm and Lloyd was pretty much made for the part of the mad scientist and the whole tone is spot on. It's one of those films I grew up on and therefore never tire of; a classic wish fulfilment fantasy that was often copied but never bettered.
June 26, 2011
Classic Good Hollywood. Nominated in 4 categories won for best sound effects. Incredible soundtrack and story. Imagine your mom trying to kiss you!...jeez!... But putting the awkward situation aside, it's an incredible movie, well structured, funny as hell and original story. Back in the 80's featuring a dream car (now a classic) DeLorean. Zemeckis is a great director and this is probably one of his first movies and boy! What a way to start.
September 4, 2007
i dont like these movies very much i have no idea why but i always feel like their missing something and i just find it hard getting engrossed in these movies and watching them.
May 23, 2011
Robert Zemeckis masterpiece Back To The Future is one monumental film. Both in special effects, and in terms of delivering a solid, original story. The film surrounds a mad scientist by the name of Doctor Emmett Brown and a teenager by the name of Marty McFly. Doc Brown invents a time machine out of DMC Delorean. After a Lybian terroristtack on Doc Brown, Mart escapes in the Delorean back to the year 1955. What follows is a series of mishaps that can reshape the future in a very bad way for Marty. Back To The Future is a terrific film that is pure fun for everyone of all ages. A well produced and directed film, Back To The Future has terrific characters, comedy elements an good special effects. It's no wonder why this film is a classic, sure the film broke ground in special effects; but on the other hand, it's a film with a solid story and a great cast. Back To The Future can be easily reviewed with the simple line as this film is a wonderful piece of well crafted cinema thats highly imaginative with many comical bits. The reason the film works well is that everything is well conceived. The story is solid, the cast is great and Robert Zemeckis' directing is top notch. Back To The Future is a film that stimulates the mind and you'll be highly entertained for a magical time travelling 2 hours journey. It's one journey you're not likely going to forget. Simply a flawless well made film. One of favorites for sure.
March 16, 2011
One of my favorite films ever, this is a work of genius. Fox is great, but Lloyd steals the show, and the plot is so interesting. What a great film.
Movie Monster
March 28, 2011
Marty McFly is a regular, slick teen from the year 1985 who is the assistant of bumbling scientist, Emmet Brown. When Doc Brown asks Marty to test out his new DeLorean time machine that is run on a strange element known as Plutonium. After something awry happens with the DeLorean, Marty is sent thirty years into the past to the year 1955 where he falls in love with his mother's younger self. Marty's existence is now in danger and must make his parent fall in love again and he will fight until he sees the sunlight.

"Back to the Future" is an instant classic but I don't think that its 100% material. But the film has some of the most smart and witty scripting I have seen in a comedy film. The characters are so well portrayed by wonderful acting! Christopher Lloyd is definetly what makes up this movie for me! Michael J. Fox, Crispin Glover, the pretty Lea Thompson, and everyone else are great!

"Back to the Future" is a very funny film but actually needs focus when you watch it. The story can get a bit confusing. Great film that you should see if you haven't! Go ahead and shoot me but I enjoy the sequels more.

"What's a rerun?"