• PG-13, 1 hr. 53 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Bad News Bears Reviews

Anthony L

March 20, 2013
I've not seen the original films so I can't comment on Richard Linklater's Bad news Bears in terms of remake but for what it's worth, I thought that for a cliched story, it was pretty cliche light. There is an element of 'seen it all before' but I think it was handled pretty well and even though this is nothing special It did keep me entertained throughout. I find Richard Linklater pretty dependable in this area.
cosmo313
cosmo313

April 23, 2012
This remake is better than I expected, and, even though it's Linklater, I really wasn't expecting much.

Morris Buttermaker is a washed-up boozy exterminator who once had a career as a minor league baseball player (with a very, very short stint in the majors) who agrees to coach a lousy team of misfits, if only because he needs the paycheck.

Yeah, it's the typical underdog sort of scenario, but with a twist. It's also pretty faithful to the original, even recreating some scenes almost note for note. It does enough to stand out on its own with some of the changes it makes, and that's good. Essentially it's a filtered version of Bad Santa to a degree, but even then it's surprisingly watchable and enjoyable.

Thornton delivers the sort of performance you'd expect given the character, and I liked him, even though he's not supposed to be likable. The team is a motley crew of typical misfits, but they deliver decent performances that rise above the ranks, making characters that stand out from the norm of this sort of scenario. Of the kids, my favorites include the late Sammi Kane Kraft as ace pitcher (and token girl) Amanda, Timmy Deters as the pint-sized foul mouth Tanner, and Troy Gentile as the wise-cracking wheelchair bound Matt Hooper. As for the other adults, Greg Kinnear is okay as the rival coach who personifies the parent that overvalues winning, and Marcia Gay Harden is giving the thankless role of the ACLU-minded hardworking mom who thinks all kids should be given a chance at everything, just because.

The film has some of the expected sports movie cliches, but ultimately avoids being a paint-by-numbers affair. I also liked that, while it is sort of aimed at a younger audience, it doesn't pull punches, and easily earns the PG-13 rating, with some of these kids being hilariously edgy right along with Thornton. One of my favorite examples of this is when he offers the kids non-alcoholic beer as a celebration, and Tanner comments, "Non-alcoholic beer? What's the damn point?" That's pretty funny.

Better than it has any right to be, this is a pretty decent film. Yeah, it has the smell of familiarity all over it, but Linklater is a smart filmmaker, and while he clearly has reverence for the original, he smartly does enough to set his remake apart and make it relatable to contemporary audiences. Give it a go.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 1, 2011
I enjoyed this remake of Bad News Bears, although not as memorable as the original, this film still has plenty of enjoyable crazy moments. The cast do a pretty good job and the film is pretty funny I very much enjoyed this film and it was lots of fun to watch. Billy Bob Thornton delivers a good comedic performance, and he is perfect for the part. The film is a must see for people who want something enjoyable, and Bad News Bears delivers memorable comedic moments. Sure the film has its downside, but it's far better than the remake to The Longest Yard. The film for the most part succeeds at making you laugh, and the jokes are very funny. This is a better remake than what most people would care to admit, and like I stated before, it's better than The Longest Yard remake, which was a total comedic failure. Of all the comedies starring Billy Bob Thorn, this film and Bad Santa are his best. This is in my opinion an underrated comedy, and it does deserve some credit as a film that has lots going for it. The film is much better than most comedies and remakes for that matter, and that says something. If you enjoy the sport, and want to watch something funny, then Bad News Bears is the perfect film to watch. The film is not as memorable as other baseball comedies such as Major League, The Sandlot or the original Bad News Bears, but it's still a worthy viewing nonetheless.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 19, 2011
It was a good try and Thorton did a really great job as coach, but in the end its not as good as the original.
Lady D

August 2, 2006
I love the naughty side of Billy Bob and that seems to come out in films with kids, Bad Santa, Mr Woodcock .... and this one is no different. Yes this is underneath, a typical American feel good kids film, but Thornton offers that not so subtle twist!
EightThirty .

March 27, 2010
27/03/2010 (TELEVISION)

Little kids with big mouths, a drunk for a mentor and a hopeless, 'oh my gosh' hopeless team.

Its just the usual, 'We suck' at first flicks that gradually leads to 'We don't suck after all' endings. Very predictable.

Otherwise not a bad watch, although its nothing new I still like these common story-lines, its comes with laughter too by the way.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

January 30, 2010
Child actors aren't cool like they were in the glory days. As Bruce Springsteen gets older, child actors get worse. This remake was plain awful, one of the worst remakes ever in my opinion.
KJ P

January 11, 2010
Alright... I enjoyed this movie, because the kids are hilarious, and Billy Bob Thornton plays a good drunk! If these aspects weren't there, this film would fail miserably!
Conner R

January 6, 2010
It takes the personality of Billy Bob Thorton's Bad Santa and mixes it with baseball. This was just an extremely obvious attempt at juicing more money from the latter film. It has almost no originality and does nothing for the viewer accept give you a few funny one-liners.
James A

June 8, 2006
Billy Bob really just wanted a check.
Michael G

June 14, 2007
Richard Linklater rehashes School of Rock and Billy Bob Thornton replays his Bad Santa role. This is THE EXACT SAME THING as the original, just with annoying updates that will badly date it on some unnecessary remake list that will get published at one point or another. Thornton has some amusing moments but otherwise you're just going to see a bunch of pre-teens swearing just for the sake of it.
Jose Z

May 19, 2007
A very entertaining movie, this remake I thing is way better than the original one made in 1976. Billy Bob Thornton is very funny
deano
deano

January 28, 2007
This wickedly remake of 1976 version comedy is much hilarious with the Little League team. They kids make plenty of bad coarse languages as well as the coach Billy Bob Thornton.
Al S

September 11, 2006
Outragiously hilarious. Non-stop fun. A home run of laughs and surprisingly heart. BillyBob Thorton is fantastic. Comedies this good barely come around.
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
Dillon L

March 17, 2011
It's sometimes funny, but most other times 'Bad News Bears' is infected with crude and utterly immature humour that throws the likeable Billy Bob Thorton overboard.
brandonklaus2
brandonklaus2

March 3, 2009
Not good, not bad. Without the blonde kid reminding me of all the blonde kids in the original, though, this movie would've been nothing.
shitfaced8
shitfaced8

May 14, 2011
Basically this is Billy Bob Thorton reprising his Bad Santa role, except this one is much more oriented to the kids, complete with a posi moral at the end for the kids. I did get a few chuckles here and there but easily passable.
Kevin M

July 7, 2007
Funny movie, great lines from Thornton. The kids' lines were slightly crude and sometimes funny. The fat kid (catcher) is hilarious.
Watch for the growing rivalry between Kinnear and Thornton.
June 28, 2012
Linklater's Bad News Bears remake is predictable and certainly nothing special. Yet, it still manages to be mildly entertaining throughout.