Baraka

44% Working the Engels: Season 1

Baraka Reviews

John M

August 25, 2010
Over 90 minutes of the most visually stunning filming ive ever seen. A must see on blu ray due to the amazing restoration of the original film to a high def transfer that will put any movie to shame. You will feel like your there. You feel like you can reach into the screen and touch it. This is something else.
Mark W

February 10, 2013
Released in 1992, it's took me a while to get around to this one. It's director, Ron Fricke, had previously contributed writing, editing and cinematography duties on the similarly themed and outstandingly powerful "Koyaanisqatsi" by Godfrey Reggio before embarking on this (his own) journey ten years later.
I wouldn't even call this a film. I'd call it more a series of moving images. But what stunning beauty there is to behold here. It was filmed by a five person crew over a period of 14 months in 24 countries across 6 continents and there are a plethora of images that will instil a myriad of emotional responses; they will enlighten and disturb, they will force you to ponder and wonder. In short, they are images of evolution and life and they will leave you in absolute awe of our natural world and the direct involvement we have in it. It explores different cultures and tribal rituals, it marvels at cloud formations and stunning sunsets. This is the flora and fauna of our environment in all it's most natural beauty. If you can imagine Terrence Malick directing a dialogue free, documentary then you have a idea of what to expect here. It does contain a certain, loose, narrative structure and like the sublime, BBC, David Atteborough nature programs it is stunningly captured and assembled. As mentioned, it contains no dialogue whatsoever, relying solely on sounds and an ethereal music score, featuring the haunting and angelic vocal talents of Lisa Gerrard.
Anyone familiar with the aforementioned and absolutely amazing, visual documentary "Koyaanisqatsi" or it's follow up "Powaqqatsi" will know how much of treat they are in for here. If you haven't seen any of these, then I urge you to do so.
There isn't much else I can say to describe this other than... the meaning of the word 'Baraka' is an ancient Sufi word that translates to "a blessing, or the breath, or the essence of life from which the evolutionary process unfolds"
It simply has to be seen to be believed.
Raymond W

May 18, 2012
Baraka is a one-of-a-kind film that deserves to be seen. Director Ron Fricke has created a film that is stunning, and meditative, and at times even shocking. The camera work and editing has allowed for the visuals to do all the talking; there is not one word of dialogue in Baraka. I found his message clear and precise, his visuals absolutely breathtaking, the music fantastic, and the film as a whole mesmerizing. The only complaint I have is it's length. It's about 10 minutes too long in my opinion, but Baraka is not to be missed.
Nicki M

January 17, 2008
Beautiful, but not exactly thrilling entertainment for an hour and a half. Some of it is interesting, some upsetting, like the bit with the chickens getting thrown around and all the human skulls lined up. Some of it not so interesting. If you like photos you will probably like this as it is really nicely framed and shot, but if you're looking for entertainment, I would avoid.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

April 16, 2009
Absolutely stunning!
Completely captivating from start to finish.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

March 11, 2009
This film kind of lured me in on the previews, showed a monkey in a hot spring so I thought that it would be a nature film, it kind of was, as it showed many locations around the world, the thing that impressed me the most was the Monkey Chant that was done by a tribe in Thailand is my guess. The thing that was very disappointing was the Nazi Concentration camps, the skulls , the piles of bones and the piles of shoes. It was a good one time watch, best seen on a big screen (Wide) TV. not a little 27 inch ole school TV like mine. but 4 stars could have been 5..
Ken S

June 15, 2007
Very pretty, but not much else. It's the worlds best location scout video
Ross C

August 27, 2007
Evocative cinema. Emotive scenes of life on Earth, with an almost spiritual, chanting soundtrack. Samples were used in lots of New Age bands' albums, like Delerium.
Sophie B

December 26, 2007
Truely epic and astonishing and amazing! So calm and gentle but lively and interesting. Awesome.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

September 12, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=darkgreen]"Baraka" is a mesmerizing cinematic essay that takes the viewer on a tour of the world; one that is wordless but set to music. It shows the amazing diversity of cultures from rural to urban; primitive to sophisticated and everything in between. This amazing documentary is almost constantly in motion; it occasionally takes a moment to record something at rest. [/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#006400][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=navy]"With All Deliberate Speed" is a documentary made on the fiftieth anniversary of the landmark Supreme Court decision, Brown v. Board of Education which struck down the doctrine of separate but equal established in Plessy v. Ferguson(1896) and ordered the desegregation of schools 'with all deliberate speed.' It looks at the events leading up to the momentous decision and also afterwards focusing on two of the five school districts named in the suit, Clarendon County, SC and Prince Edward County, Va. Clarendon County has fared the worse of the two districts and continues to fight in the courts for suitable education.(One of the reasons a quality public education is important is possibly allowing some of its poorer citizens to escape a perpetual cycle of poverty.) I already knew most of the history involved, so I would have liked it if this documentary had focused on more of the events following the decision, especially on the battle over busing in Boston in the 1970's to show that segregated schools are not simply a phenomenon of the South.[/color][/font]
John B

August 26, 2007
Beautiful! Just images of the world in which we live in without commentary or bias. Every viewer will have his or her reaction to the images and will appreciate the experience.
Justin F

September 29, 2013
One of the most mesmeric films ive ever seen and yet, I dont really know exactly why? To describe it as a series of images with no narrative makes it sound naffer than a Celine Dion cover of Public Enemies Fight The Power. But once you start paying attention to it, it will suck you in and refuse to let go until it finishes. Many will say that it is trying to persuade the viewer of the damage we are doing to the environment and our planet and there is some truth in this but I dont think you have to share such views to enjoy this? It is particularly impressive in Hi Definition and ill admit that this was the sole reason why I bought it without even knowing what it is about? So if you have a spare 90 minutes one evening pop it on, pour a glass of Red and prepare to be amazed.
Chris B

May 18, 2011
Unique and different from any other. Baraka is an experience, period. This is, for some time to come I presume, my reference quality disk. Any time I want to convert people to HD, I pop in Baraka and sit back. The 8K transfer is the pinnacle of the blu-ray technology currently available. Highly Recommended!
lesleyanorton
lesleyanorton

June 21, 2009
Wow. Beautiful. Fascinating. Inspiring. And lots of other big words. .
meril l

December 30, 2007
Sometimes words are not needed to communicate.
Wu C

March 17, 2007
Pretty cool photographic montages from all over the world. Best timelapse shots I've ever seen.
shannylee38
shannylee38

December 19, 2006
Perfect cinematography! Just WOW!
December 13, 2013
More gorgeous, arty stuff from around the world, a great way to show off your home theater set-up, that's for sure, and it holds up well to numerous re-watches as there's always something new to take in, some new detail of which to take note.

Recommended!
GhostShadowX
April 3, 2011
I was highly disappointed with this movie! There was no Baraka, as a matter of fact...there were no Mortal Kombat characters whatsoever! Just a bunch of people in the rain forest..or something. Very bad! >=)