Barbershop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Barbershop Reviews

May 20, 2007
Funny and exciting. Ice Cube is great. Solid ensemble class.
MANUGINO
February 1, 2010
Everyone's gettin' lined up.

Good Popcorn Movie! I thought Cedric the Entertainer did a great job, not only with comic lines but also in a couple of dramatic scenes. Of course some of what he said was offensive, but it was probably realistic. I say 'probably' since I'm white and don't really know the culture. Well, I wouldn't recommend it for kids or my mother-in-law, as the language is earthy (but real). But aside from this, it's an excellent film--whether you are black, white or green! Good acting, great characters and exceptional writing make this a good bet.

A day in the life of a barbershop on the south side of Chicago. Calvin, who inherited the struggling business from his deceased father, views the shop as nothing but a burden and waste of his time. After selling the shop to a local loan shark, Calvin slowly begins to see his father's vision and legacy and struggles with the notion that he just sold it out. The barbershop is filled with characters who share their stories, jokes, trials and tribulations. In the shop we find Eddie, an old barber with strong opinions and no customers. Jimmy is a highly educated barber with a superiority complex who can't stand Isaac, the new, white barber who just wants a shot at cutting some hair. Ricky is an ex-con with two strikes against him and is desperately trying to stay straight. Terri is a hard-edged woman who can't seem to leave her two-timing boyfriend. And lastly there's Dinka, a fellow barber who is madly in love with Terri but doesn't get the time of day.
½ July 24, 2013
Tim Story's Barbershop is more than just a haircut. The film is a comedic, dramatic and heart-felt experience. The cast (lead by Ice Cube) were pristine in regards to humor and a tight community feel. 4.5/5
Chiefilms
½ February 26, 2010
Pretty good joint, but was it good enough for a sequel and a spinoff? Don't curr just cut my hurr. My barber's Vietnamese so I would have liked to have seen some Asians in the shop. Cedric carried this, great performance by him.
February 6, 2010
Great Movie! It has tons of laughs and a great script to keep it going on all cylinders!
kpn666
March 3, 2007
One of the best comedies of he heart. In contrast to the hilarious Friday series, Barbershop brings to life the most politically incorrect movie which is hilarious! Cedric the Entertainer is the scene stealer as Eddie, the aged Barber with wisdom and wise cracks, mentoring the young crew on barber and life skills. The humor is great and the story is heart and soul.
½ August 28, 2007
Cool...Ice Cube is getting better with this whole Movie thang...Well done ^_^
½ May 31, 2007
Great movie but the second one is better.
½ January 27, 2007
Interesting flick about the goings on in the local barbershop.
March 25, 2007
An incredible funnny movie that is no holds barred in teh comedy division. Alot of laughs as well as alot of memories about the previous generation. (MLK and MX) A good movie to enjoy add a star if you brought popcorn! LOL
April 25, 2008
Kinda clever. I remember likeing it for the witty banter and the simpleness of the movie.
iLeo
June 1, 2008
Hilarious! Absolute favorite!
½ August 4, 2012
2/3/03 - Barbershop was a pretty entertaining movie, but it was not as funny as I thought it would be. It was a good "day in the life" type story with lots of interesting barbershop conversation. I don't see what all the controversy fuss was about though.
May 20, 2012
This movie is warm and funny to sit down and watch with good friends. So many laugh out loud moments inside such a small barbershop. A place like Calvin's Barbershop is a place that can hit home in many ways.
May 29, 2011
This ain't no goddamn school of the blind, Calvin! This is the barbershop! The place where a black man means something! Cornerstone of the neighborhood! Our own country club!
December 7, 2009
A good natured film, pleasantly presented. Funny as well as touching. The cast really does a terrific job. Good writing and score, very enjoyable and entertaining.
August 19, 2009
wonderful inside look at a world that many don't usually see. great variety of characters, story within a story, and it fends off many stereotypes.
July 11, 2008
This off color comedy of a black American barbershop is actually pretty funny, but if any white boys are caught telling these jokes, look out. This story is mocking subculture and stereotypes, so it should be taken as a straight up comedy, and probably one of the most brilliant black American comedies of the time. It was said that it was so true to life, the black community actually didn?t like it, well some of them didn?t.
July 8, 2008
CEDRIC WAS THAT GUY WHO YOU WOULD GO TO THE BARBER SHOP JUST TO GET IN ON WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT LOL!!
March 25, 2007
Eddie: There are three things that Black people need to tell the truth about. Number one: Rodney King should've gotten his ass beat for being drunk in a Honda a white part of Los Angeles. Number two: O.J. did it! And number three: Rosa Parks didn't do nuthin' but sit her Black ass down!