44% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Barrymore Reviews

John B

October 10, 2012
I was a little slow off the mark otherwise I would have been in the audience when they filmed Christopher Plummer doing his John Barrymore. Thank goodness HBO decided to pick it up and air it. A great theatrical performance is captured and kudos to Director Erik Canuel who offers appropriate off-stage moments that don't detract from the piece.
Matt H.
April 14, 2014
Barrymore is an unusual, yet entertaining, film. It is a "one man" movie, with Christopher Plummer stealing the show, accompanied by only one other man part of the time, Frank. However, the true meaning of Barrymore surpasses Plummer's excellent performance of the man, but instead is about Plummer himself. Plummer is an aging actor who wants to be taken seriously for one last role before he gets too old, just like John Barrymore. Well, he has succeeded.
January 26, 2014
Superb performance by Christopher Plummer. Having seen many films with John, Ethyl and Lionel Barrymore makes one even more aware of what it takes to give such a great virtuoso performance, which I saw on Great Performances. When you live in the country and don't get out much any more, you can only say, thank God for PBS!
December 17, 2013
brilliant performance, probably would be better to see it live.
September 12, 2013
Christopher Plummer spectacularly does his Tony Award-winning role as famed stage and film actor John Barrymore, attempting to make a late-career comeback. It is almost literally a filmed stage play, which feels odd at first, but Plummer's work keeps viewer interest. Some may be put off by the at-times salty language, but it is worth sticking with to view a master actor in an acclaimed performance.
bill s.
June 15, 2013
A one man show brought to cinema is hard.....with an lesser actor than Plummer it be brutal.
March 7, 2013
Christopher Plummer is fabulous as John Barrymore ... someone he's clearly too old to play, but then again, given Barrymore's lifestyle, perhaps he isn't. If you want to see Plummer strut his stuff, it's certainly worth a view. It's not really a play that begged to be put on the screen, and it's not particularly well-suited to be a movie. Outside of Plummer's performance, it's really not very compelling.
December 9, 2012
outstanding performance! and an interestingly played out bio. worth seeing if
you like theatre.
November 17, 2012
Plummer gives an acting master class and it's a role for the ages. How any reviewer who is serious about film could not give it a positive review shows just what little it takes to be called a film critic these days.
November 16, 2012
I saw Christopher Plummer perform Barrymore on Broadway and am looking forward to the movie.
Nunya B.
November 13, 2012
Christopher Plummer is an amazing actor. I'm looking forward to seeing this.
September 22, 2012
Fantastic acting, wonderful script.
August 26, 2012
This is an absolutely marvellous film rendition of Christopher Plummer's near one man play about an attempted career revival by John Barrymore.
It is so brilliant I don't think I can actually describe it other than to suggest you see it as soon as possible. Anything I say will give away something I don't want to give.
;-)