Bastard out of Carolina - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bastard out of Carolina Reviews

½ August 27, 2009
This was a hard movie to watch. It sickened me. Jena Malone, was insanely good in this movie. It had to be hard for her to portray certain parts in this movie at such a young age. She was just amazing in this movie.
It is a heart wrenching movie about a young girl who is sexually abused by her mothers boyfriend. Her mother is an awful piece of work. I wanted to go through the screen and physically harm her. I was just so disgusted with her and the way she treated her daughter.
All of the actors all acted their parts well. Its just an awfully good movie that will have you going through a lot of emotions. I know I went through a lot watching it.
It's not a film you can watch over and over again, but it is one that you would watch every once in a great while just on the story and the powerful acting. It is a movie that should be seen by all. A must see.
½ November 2, 2008
Haven't read the book but I feel that this is not a good adaptation & the film feels rushed, If you're planning to see this be prepared for its difficult subject matter & some really disturbing scenes
½ December 19, 2007
A brilliant film!
June 16, 2011
This Story Hurt me to watch, & now whenever I see Ron Eldard, I remember him this Role.The Scene with her on his Lap in the Car broke my Heart.I guess a Movie is really Good when you cannot forget it, & never Forgive the Actor because you still see him as the Bad Guy.
February 26, 2007
This movie made me wanna kill that son-of-a-bitch who hurt that little girl. I would never allow anyone to hurt my child that way. Ever. I praise Jena Malone for playing that difficult character.
½ June 17, 2008
Every time I think about the climactic event near the end of the movie, coupled with the mother's ultimate reaction, it burns me the hell up. But I suppose eliciting an emotional response is what a film like this sets out to do in the first place, and in that, it succeeds.
December 19, 2006
A very good movie..I even have the book. Its really sad the fact that this girl went through so much pain and the mom rarely did anything about it. At the end that dirty guy got what he deserved.
May 11, 2008
Anjelica Huston is the director and this is her first attempt at directing a feature length movie. The results are stunning. It is altogether a flawless movie, with an excellent script based on the Dorothy Allison novel. Ron Eldard is excellent in his depiction Glen, expertly capturing the character's pathetic childishness behind those icy blue eyes. Eldard often seems to play characters with a dark side and this role plays to his strengths, even if his southern accent slips from time to time. His scenes of violence with Bone are harrowing to watch and you can't help but feel uncomfortable, given the age of Jena Malone at the time. Special mention must go to Jena Malone for her sophisticated, passionate portrayal of Anney's young daughter, 'Bone'. Bone carries the weight of her mother's world on her shoulders. This is her first major role to speak of and she carries the movie effortlessly.
½ April 12, 2008
I watched this one time and can't watch it again....just because it was so heartbreaking it is a good's about a little girl who's mother takes in an a busive man for a boyfriend...and he end ups abusing her older daughter.
September 10, 2007
August 28, 2007
I love this movie. I wish Dermot Mulroney's character had a longer life! LOL

Jenna Malone will go down in history as one of the great actresses.
August 14, 2007
this is a Excellant movie ! its about this womans boyfriend, Molesting her child behind her back. he gets the Crap beat out of him at the end, by family members , who see the bruising on the little girls legs and body. She is so badly abusedn from this man, it is Very sad. this is a must see movie for everyone.
July 20, 2007
this movie made me curse out loud...throwing things at the t.v., i started crying when the girl couldn't walk...i forget whether she dies/leaves...or what..i need to watch it again...this is a MUST SEE
June 8, 2007
i love this movie. i hate the man that beats the child but i just cant believe the mom still going to stay with him. so it is like she is chosing the man over her on daughter
May 28, 2007
Very Very Very Good Movie! I love the Actress Jena Malone she puts so much feelings into her acting!!!!
½ October 23, 2006
this movies was so sad and so deep, but wow it was powerful who ever that little girl is she should get in oscar for even have the courage to do a scene like that.
August 18, 2006
The rape scene in here is absolutely unbelievable. It goes on for about five minutes, and it feels like five hours.
½ March 23, 2015
I was hoping for a more light-hearted film with themes of child abuse but instead, it just wallows in sentimentalism. The girl and her curious sister both undergo adversities. But I also didn't like the violence this film depicts.

Also, I think that the actress that played Bones is a little too young to play a 12-year-old as she was about 10 at the time. But I do think she did good in the role.

There's not much memorable characters here, the father keeps remanding his daughters to call him daddy. Though, I can relate to him and his desire to beat little girls. The mother is doting of her husband. Bone is a clichéd and not very compelling character, letting her father hit her instead of running away in the bathroom!!! Not even anybody else does much to help.

There were some rushed scenes and the characters, I don't think were very convincing. It was just too unnecessarily violent and sick. I know that it was trying to send out a message that children are getting treated like this, but still, for the director to show these type of scenes and have the film be so sick that it makes me go "What the frack?" several times, I couldn't get into it.
February 24, 2014
The performances are outstanding.
December 8, 2013