62% The Maze Runner Sep 19

The Battle of Shaker Heights Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 23, 2009
Cast: Shia LaBeouf, Elden Henson, Amy Smart, Billy Kay, Kathleen Quinlan, William Sadler, Shiri Appleby, Ray Wise, Anson Mount

Director: Efram Potelle, Kyle Rankin

Summary: Teenaged Kelly (Shia LaBeouf) loves reenacting battles. When he befriends Bart (Elden Henson), also a war enthusiast, they decide to take on a school bully by using time-tested strategies. But their friendship is tested when Kelly falls for Bart's sister. Directors Kyle Rankin and Efram Potelle and screenwriter Erica Beeney are winners of Project Greenlight, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon's moviemaking contest.

My Thoughts: "It was funny and entertaining. Shia plays a kid who's mother is a painter and kinda a hippie.. His father is a recovering drug addict trying to better himself by helping those who are still addicts.. Shia's character is funny, smart, and angry. I think others would enjoy this movie. It was made before Shia got big.. I think it kinda reminded me of his Even Stevens character with all the smart come backs.. Liked Elden Henson in this movie too. Haven't really seen him in a lot of films."
KJ P

July 9, 2011
The Battle of Shaker Heights may be a simple movie, but it does that in the best way possible. It brings together a great cast of characters in this low-budget, loveable movie. The story of Kelly (Shia Labeouf) as an actor in war films, decides to takes his acting skills into real life situations. When he mixes his war-life with romance, things get complicated and friendships are lost. This is a harmless movie that people of all ages can enjoy, with a heart-warming story and a great life lesson, The Battle of Shaker Heights just barely makes itself a great memory, but I will definitely be revisiting it in time. Very solid teen flick that not too many people know much about...
Conner R

January 18, 2010
For it being a very small indie with essentially no reason for people to go see it other than it won Project Greenlight, it is a great movie. Shia LaBeouf really did a great job and carried the movie with no trouble. The story was a little corny, but it still manages to be a fun coming-of-age movie.
Marion R

May 5, 2007
The only reason to watch this film is for LaBeouf, the only person in the film you will care about. It felt to me like Smart didn't know how to portray her character, she seemed lost.
Chosen 7

August 4, 2007
Good film, very original.
Haley A

February 14, 2007
Shia LaBeouf is amazing!
jscottcorley
September 5, 2009
Shia LeBoeuf (who should change his name) carries this Proj. Greenlight film. A good afternoon waster.
williamleonard
October 26, 2008
For someone who equally loves to reenact war battles I felt I enjoyed it more than most people. Shia LaBeouf does do a good job with the material. But it does raise the fact that he was playing a senior in this film and 4 or 5 years later is playing a senior in "Transformers".?.?.?.
October 18, 2007
Great little movie with Shia LaBeouf, who plays a teen with father-issues, piled upon all the other emotions and crushes that come with the age.

Kelly (LaBeouf) prefers the alternate reality of war reenactment, instead of facing his feelings and the truth that surrounds him. Really, in this world, who the hell can blame the kid?

Overall, good little Indie pic, that sums itself up nicely and leaves you with a good feeling.
Hamee
September 16, 2007
This was fun to watch. Shia LaBeouf has come a long way since this movie. And Anson Mount is always so yummy to watch :)
hollyg1982
September 13, 2007
It's no wonder that this really gave LaBeouf's career a jump! He is absolutely brilliant in this!!! No one anywhere could have done it better!!! In fact the casting director should have won something if they didn't. Shia did this writer proud!!! Watch this movie!!!
ElphabaDefyingGravity
March 27, 2007
I loved this movie. I think Shia LaBeouf is a very underrated actor, and he has such great potential! I think he has a successful career to look forward to. This movie was light-hearted, fun, and quirky. A highly enjoyable film!
November 19, 2006
An average film, but I still enjoyed it. Granted, it seems like it was made for tv...but this was that project greenlight thing and I don't think they had much money.
September 4, 2006
Having family from Shaker Heights, and my mother growing up there, and having visited in my child hood i was excited to see this movie. I see it and it's so clearly not Shaker Heights, and it's so clearly La that it annoys me. IT did start to show what a tallent Shia LaBeouf is though.
December 10, 2013
Nothing special in the directing or script; in fact, the film suffers a bit due to both. The acting, however, especially from LaBeouf, is heartfelt and honest, helping to keep the audience watching until the trite final scene.
September 14, 2012
Sure it had it's bad points, but I thought the ending to this movie made the 2 hours of it's existences worth it. It's no Cabin in The Woods, but it's definitely not Jack and Jill.
February 18, 2012
Cool I live in Shaker Heights!
Deke
July 3, 2009
This is a movie that isn't sure what it wants to be : a comedy, a thought-provoking, coming of age drama, both, or neither. It wasn't a bad movie, but it doesn't allow for much endearment to any of the characters. In turn, you don't care what happens to them.
M J.
February 13, 2009
After dodging this film for years (since I heard it was not filmed in my beloved city), I finally borrowed a copy from a fellow Ohioan. He was super-psyched that the location in the title was in Ohio- I am not that easily impressed.

The word for today, boys and girls, is VRAIMENT...there is none in this movie! Although Shaker Heights IS located in Ohio, a midwestern state, these characters do not bare even the most superficial resemblance to people from the area. Parents in Shaker are attempting to breed champions of society...the writers blew it when they had these children WORKING in a LOCAL SUPERMARKET. Dude, that would sooo never happen! Even if these kids were living in the Ludlow or Milverton neighborhoods of Shaker, they would not be working in service arenas, if ever at all! Please do not take me for an elitist...I simply want someone to write a film about the area, that speaks truthfully about the people from the area...that does not involve a duck.

These writers failed horribly at that. I got the same wave of nausea during the viewing of this film that I get everytime I view a film shot in SoCal, with people wearing tres SoCal bright ensembles...but they are supposed to be somewhere in NYC. As a present NYC transplant, I can assure you, future writers, that beachwear- no matter how dark the color- is not being worn at anytime in NYC. The next time anyone wants to write about Northeastern Ohioans or Ohioans in general try to research the area. Shaker- as popular cultural references go- is a country club sort of city. Think: pearls, khakis, polos and diamond studs. Rarely do people get harassed physically by bullies, because that is uncivilized. The majority of children in that area attend the private and preparatory schools in the region; some out of state.

This movie and the characters were just not Shaker Heights material. More like Strongsville, Ohio. Come on Damon and Affleck- you simply cannot just 'greenlight' anything!