• R, 1 hr. 50 min.

Beautiful Girls Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 9, 2009
"Beautiful Girls is my kind of movie. It has a great cast, a smart script, and it's funny. I love Rosie O'Donnell. I think she's really funny in this. Her rambling about the perfect woman compared to a real woman was something to be watched. I thought it was really honest and funny. Many guys have these pictures on their walls and under their beds thinking that they may one day be able to have it. The thing is, women too have a picture of a perfect chisled man in mind. But this is how we differ, we know the difference between a fantasy and reallity. Michael Rapaport's character, Paul, is a perfect example of the men I described. Rosie O'Donnell says it best in her rant.

The best performances for me was from O'Donnell, Hutton, and Portman. Although Huttons' character creeped me out a bit. If you've seen the movie or plan to, you will understand why.

Not an amazing movie, but it was good enough for my tastes. I would watch it again. "
Alice S

August 18, 2011
The first time I saw this movie, I LOVED IT. The second time, I thought it was just okay, maybe even a little below okay. Perhaps, due to the lack of subtitles on this particular disc I now own, I couldn't READ the movie while viewing it, so I noticed that a few performances didn't capture the gravitas of the screenplay.

I remember loving Paul's slam poetry ode to supermodels (how "they're bottled promise...hope dancing in stiletto heels" and how that's as good as love), but something in Michael Rapaport's faux-gangsta posture and gait seems stilted, as if he wasn't completely sold on his character's near sociopathic rant of genius. I also remember loving Willie's meditation on thirteen-year-old Marty (how she will blossom into awesomeness in ten years and that he'd wait for her), but the cinematography is too staid and the effect of the moving monologue whispers pedophilia before it whispers, say...imprinting (ala Twilight werewolves). I also also remember loving Mo's raving, nonsensical battle cry, "YOU FUCK WITH ME, YOU FUCK WITH YOU! YOU GO TO THE FOUNTAIN, YOU DRINK? YOU DON'T DRINK!" but the loud audio makes it difficult to hear actual words.

All in all, a damn shame cuz the coming-of-middle-age story is quite beautiful, and the young Natalie Portman as Marty is indeed precocious and magnetic.
Red L

May 3, 2012
This would qualify for my teen angst movies, except it is 20's angst. Six small-town guys are in town for a school reunion, and all are in various crossroads. Do I get married? Do I continue my affair? What about my job? The only thing wrong with the movie is that in one short weekend, they mostly figure out what they want to do with their lives. If only life was so easy.
Jennifer X

April 28, 2011
Natalie Portman is the only person that would make a quasi-romance with a 40-year-old seem somewhat appealing.
movieguru12
movieguru12

January 3, 2011
Fairly decent but kind of odd.
deano
deano

February 8, 2007
Another rueful comedy about commitment-shy twentysomething men and the women who are too good for them. Scott Rosenberg's script takes a condescending view of its own characters, and his dialogue is often pretentious and literary; some lines are almost literally unspeakable. Fortunately, the cast is packed with first-rate talent, and the film is much better acted than written.
Daniel P

August 13, 2008
Think of The Deer Hunter. Now remove the war, likeable characters and anything interesting ever happening. What you're left with is Beautiful Girls: a slice-of-life attempt at nostlagic/romantic comedy (or something) wherein, despite everyone being back in town to go to the high school reunion, the characters don't think or talk about it the whole way... then don't even get there in the end (I'll leave the reasons out of it, not to avoid spoiling it, but because they're notably lame).

This movie is barely watchable. The musical interludes between scenes are annoyingly long, the drama feels contrived (though not as much as the "heartwarming" moments including the gruelling full-cast sing-along to Sweet Caroline), and I didn't care about any of the characters. Rosie O'Donnell running her loud mouth? Imagine... I think she's playing herself. (There's a reason I don't watch The View...) Even Uma Thurman couldn't save this bland script filled out by a particularly lifeless Matt Dillon and Mira Sorvino, the untalented Lauren Holly, the more-one-dimensionally-annoying than ever Michael Rappaport and the very, very, very poor (think homeless) man's John Travolta, Timothy Hutton. (When you're a clone of someone who already sucks, it's bad, Tim.)

If Natalie Portman's performance can break away from the rest of the cast AT THE AGE OF 14, there's something wrong... Though it might sell itself as an "ensemble cast", it's little more than a support group excercise for B-list actors. They spent all their money on song rights, too many sets and one good actor (Thurman), and as a result, I don't think they could afford any writers.

While it wasn't without its moments, the most interesting thing about this film is that it wasn't a made-for-TV movie. Simply awful.
cancercapricorn2002
cancercapricorn2002

July 5, 2007
How long did it take you to grow up, and how did you know when you got there?

I find that as I get older, the less I appreciate films "aimed" at younger audiences. I'm 35 ( as of this writing) and for me, most "teen" comedies are insufferable, and those that are about twenty-somethings are gradually sliding into that category as well. I begin to wonder: Is it me? Do I just not get it? Is it just my age?

Then, I pull out my DVD of Beautiful Girls, which reminds me that when movies are good, it doesn't matter how old you -- or the characters -- are.

We come to know the characters, we come to care about what is happening, and we even forgive them some of their shortcomings. They seem like people we might know. It's not easy to do that in a movie. Director Ted Demme sets just the right pace, and lets the story unfold as a sequence of humanly unpredictable events.

The dialog is natural and easy. There are several scenes of enjoyable, realistic dialog that don't particularly forward the plot in any direction -- these scenes (like Timothy Hutton's scene with Uma Thurmann in the Ice Fishing shack) lend depth to the characters by letting them say what a person might actually say. And thus the story seems natural and unforced.

The film takes place over the course of, oh, I'd say about 2-3 weeks. How much growing up have you done over the last 2 -3 weeks?
This is a great movie and well worth checking out.
Michael G

October 31, 2006
Like watching The Deer Hunter minus the bonecrushing depression and Russian Roulette. I feel filthy every time I watch this because Natalie Portman's character is the one I'm most attracted to.
Leigh R

August 25, 2006
It was okay.
Mark A

November 7, 2008
Surprisingly good romantic comedy. Willie (Timothy Hutton), who plays in piano bars in NYC, returns home for a high school reunion and reconnects with his running buddies from high school who have remained in the town they grew up in. Each of them is dealing with relationship issues and it is the intersection of these various issues that provides the dramatic framework for the film. Great cast, terrific script and an oddly moving story that touches on our expectations and how life doesn't always turn out the way we pictured it. Michael Rapaport stood out as Paul, a real first class jerk who had perfected the art of being "teflon" before teflon was cool. In the end, he proves to be human after all. And a very young Natalie Portman turned in a carefully nuanced performance as the little girl next door, who catches the attention of Willie and causes him to inspect the consequences of his choices so far and to contemplate where his life is going. This viewer particularly enjoyed their playful, yet circumspect developing relationship. One feels they may become life-long friends. The film also looks at loyalty, fidelity, and the secrets we think we have hidden, but which are plain for all to see. One felt a part of this small town and this group of friends from the outest and for that I credit the acting. Laugh out loud funny at times. Don't miss Rosie's monologue about the ideal women on the pages of men's magazines. It is priceless! All in all the film was a wonderful surprise that this viewer enjoyed immensely.
zeravenyoej
zeravenyoej

November 24, 2007
Standard, enjoyable fair with some great touches that set it a part: First of all, the phenomenal talent that is Natialie Portman as a child star. She's 13 here (or at least she's playing it), but she sparkles. Rosie O'Donnell's dissection on God's fairness with, ahem, larger women and their proportionate assests stands out. It was enough to temporarily make me forget what a turn-off her carrer is now. Also, the "beautiful girls are fuel" speech by Michael Rapaport was nice, albeit off putting since it cut to a montage of fake super-models, but hey, whatareya gonna do?
Sunil J

August 7, 2010
This is a hard one because there's a lot of funny in this movie and some of the characters are great. However, Timothy Hutton's infatuation with 13 year-old Natalie Portman is just plain creepy - no matter how much he tried to justify their friendship. Also Lauren Holly is very over the top and annoying here. Michael Rapaport's character is by far the best and most interesting and Natalie is always wonderful.
Erin C

August 10, 2008
Lots of good actors in it, which I think is what saved it. It did have a story in which almost everyone could relate to in some way or another.
iLeo
iLeo

April 12, 2007
Love this movie!
rodjeckrich
January 7, 2013
Beautiful Girls is all right. Really nothing special in terms of story or acting but it delivers a certain kind of warmth that you could only see in paintings of the fall season. And aside from Rosie O'Donnell, the female cast is beautiful.
July 15, 2011
Mostly interesting for the number of stars, some fairly early in their careers, in both major and minor roles. There's a decent story, and a good mix of drama and humor, but mostly it comes across as slow and plodding.
May 22, 2011
This movie always reminds me of my post-college years, when my film-buff roommate brought it back one night. It's a great character drama with a fun and dynamic ensemble cast. While the dynamic between Timothy Hutton and Natalie Portman can be a little creepy at times, the film cast lights into the odd aspects of relationships between friends, lovers, and strangers. Especially interesting is how the two professional "big city girls" (Gish and Thurman) completely steal the hearts and minds of their small-town hosts. On any note, Beautiful Girls is a good one to watch.
ObsessiveOne
October 22, 2007
i thought this movie was quite good in fact and was glad that i stumbled upon it while flipping though the channels. it was funny at parts but insightful into the fact that we all have to eventually take up our responsibilites. i loved watching the different relationships between the characters, especially Will's (Hutton) and Marty's (Portman).
maiermanagement
December 29, 2008
one of my favorites, because it came out around my 10 year high school reunion and it's nearly dead on as where a 28 year old is at in his life... Natalie Portman's breakout movie