• Unrated, 1 hr. 39 min.

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Bedtime Story (King of the Mountain) Reviews

Mike T

August 11, 2010
Marlon Brando used to say that making Bedtime Story was one of the best times he ever had on a movie set. It shows. He delivers a joyful, energetic and fantastically entertaining performance. Watching him play off of David Niven (who is also very good) is so much fun to watch. This is a politically incorrect comedy that draws its laughs from dialogue.
January 19, 2009
In the morning, I found out Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was a remake. In the evening, I went to the video store and found the original, which I'd never even heard of before. Up until the very end of the movie, I was liking it significantly better than the remade version, but then . . . it ended and there was no big twist. Darn it, I liked the twist! It worked so well! So the movie lost coolness points for that. However, the rest of the time it was actually much funnier. (For example, the entire segment with Ruprecht was much funnier and much less . . . well, disgusting than the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels version.) Kudos the movie in general for being a blast to watch . . . I only wish that twist was still there. Ah, well.
shakercoola
January 18, 2014
It's lightweight fun with perfect casting with David Niven. An overindulged goofy turn from Brando in once sequence, but on the whole funny throughout, and occasionally hilarious, which makes it arguably better than the remake, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.
Guy Gomez
May 20, 2011
[85/B+] This is a whimsical comedy about a couple of confidence men scamming women, and squaring off against each other, on the French Riviera. It's hard not to like a film that is so bare-faced trashy and mean-spirited at heart, and with such a winning cast.

It's delightful to see Brando letting his guard down a little, playing the crude goofball flip-side to Niven's charming criminal aristocrat. He is a little hammy and sloppy at points, and obviously not as totally comfortable in his role as Niven is, but he does manage to be pretty hilarious through much of it.

Many will know this story from its reincarnation as the darn funny Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, from 1988, which was a better directed (and definitely better funded) movie. Bedtime Story is equally as humorous and fun, if a little less tight and a little more technically clunky. It wraps up somewhat too abruptly, and leaves some of the characters in the lurch, but overall works very well.