Belles on Their Toes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Belles on Their Toes Reviews

½ February 3, 2008
It's as delightful as it's prequel Cheaper By The Dozen. It makes a great film for the whole family.
June 27, 2007
Once again, not a good movie. A better movie, however, than the sequel to the remake of [i]Cheaper by the Dozen[/i]. (Which we'll get to soonish; we're almost there.) At least this vaguely approximately resembles the real actions of the real Gilbreth family. And yes, these books really are the autobiographies of two of the children from the family.

This second movie, however, actually has more in common with the [i]first[/i] book than the second one. The newsreel story, for example, happens while the children's father is still alive. The tormenting of boyfriends is from that time, too. (Imagine being a teenage girl with five younger brothers and nearly as many younger sisters and trying to have any kind of social life!)

The movie leaves out the important piece of information imparted in the book, that the second daughter (Mary) died of diphtheria when she was six. This is one of the diseases children get immunized against now, [i]because[/i] children died of it pretty regularly 100 years ago. As it stands, the movie refers to the dozen children, but you only see eleven.

Actually, I've read the first book often enough so that I remember all the girls' names pretty easily. Ann, Mary, Martha, Ernestine, Lily, and Jane. The boys, who I usually forget two or three of, are Frank Jr., Bob, Jack, William, Fred, and Dan. Most of them are family names; Bob was named after Robert Frost. It helps, of course, that Dr. Lillian Gilbreth came from a big family herself; more names to steal.

Also, Dr. Mrs. Gilbreth invented the pedal-top trashcan, the kind where you step on the little lever and the lid flips open. The advantages of efficiency experts, huh?
May 19, 2014
Cheaper by the Dozen sequel
July 20, 2011
Here's a great family film that I know all of you guys will enjoy...Belles on their Toes...
July 3, 2011
Pretty ho hum sequel to Cheaper By the Dozen, but Myrna Loy is great, as always.
January 20, 2011
Awww, tears!!!! Just as heartwarming as the first movie!!!!
½ January 5, 2011
a continuation of life with father. just a sweet Victorian era movie
June 19, 2010
Not a timeless classic in my eyes
January 27, 2010
The books are wonderful!
May 31, 2009
July 20, 2008
The follow-up to the first "cheaper by the dozen" book and movie. Very nicely done.
April 10, 2008
I actually really enjoyed this sequal to the original 'Cheaper By the Dozen" I love Myrna Loy which is what drew me to it. :)
Delightful and entertaining :) A good family film too!
April 7, 2008
Definitely not near as good as the first. Lacks everything that makes family entertainment, except the family.
March 7, 2008
I think I wanted to see this out of curiosity, to see what Cheaper By the Dozen would be like without that annoying man. Answer: the same, but without that annoying man. Doesn't change much.
½ February 3, 2008
January 30, 2008
The sequel to the original 'Cheaper by the Dozen' is just as nicey nice as the first and feels overly frolicy at the start. It definately suffers without Clifton Webb's dominant presence and the plot is non too apparent either.
January 22, 2008
Not quite as good as the first, but still pretty true to life. We keep the remote nearby...
October 18, 2007
Brilliant - more true and strong family values. Lots of fun!
September 15, 2007
The Cheaper by the Dozen sequel is still as cute as the first one!