• Unrated, 1 hr. 34 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Beware the Gonzo Reviews

Cynthia S

September 17, 2013
I found this movie very enjoyable, clever, and well done...even though I seem to be in the minority. I think that Ezra Miller is a very fine young actor, and I absolutely love the quirky roles that he takes on. This one included...
Todd S

July 16, 2012
It's the first week of Senior year and already, Gonzo Gilman has been kicked off the school paper and his friends are being bullied. Gonzo is a smart kid and he knows better than anyone that the pen is mightier than the sword. With the help of his loser buddies, Gonzo comes up with a plan to create the anti-newspaper of his High School, a publication that focuses on the negatives of the school and it's students. Most of these High School themed movies are about the popular kids drama or the unknown student who becomes a legend, but how often do you see the losers rise up against the popular kids, in a non-violent way? This story was written by Bryan Goluboff, who also wrote the screen play for one of my favorite movies, The Basketball Diaries. Much like that film, this one is as clever as it is funny. Ezra Miller stars as Gonzo, and gives the best performance I've seen him give. Yes, he was great in Perks of Being a Wallflower, but he has a whole different energy here, and I think it might have something to do with Miller's personal life. Miller is openly gay and has often talked about how difficult it's been for him. The character he's playing here, Gonzo Gilman, is a cult hero for every kid that's ever been bullied and didn't know what to do about it, and in a way I think this role was Miller's way of fighting back against what happened to him. He's opposed by Jesse McCartney, the most popular kid in school. I think McCartney is a tremendous talent and he's a good looking kid. For that reason, he's always portrayed as this sweet, loveable guy, and it was really great to see him in a different type of role. Sometimes the best way to rejuvenate your career is by trying something new and it works here. Beware The Gonzo is a refreshingly unique, independent film, with a great young cast, and an amazing writer, who is very particular about what he does. Everything comes together to create something terrific that we really haven't seen before. I can honestly say I loved every minute of this film and for that it's receives the label of must see movie!
Jason R

December 28, 2012
The premise is quite intriguing and Ezra Miller is really good. BEWARE THE GONZO, wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. But, it is still worth a look.
December 21, 2013
A little exaggerated and cliche at times.....but some very funny moments in between. Ezra Miller plays Gonzo Gilman, an ambitious writer on a mission to save the land of toy misfits in his high school. A dark comedy, I found it entertaining, but I tend to like films of this nature.
December 16, 2012
Starts off strong (four star quality) but looses its way about halfway through. Not particularly original to begin with it becomes really trite in the two star second half and seems along the way to have forgotten any message the filmmakers had in mind to begin with. Much of the acting is quite well done. Writer/Director Bryan Goluboff has written better work. Hopefully, he will improve as a director and turn out future films as good as the first half of this one.
bradkellerda
July 19, 2012
This movie was absolutely terrible! I can't honestly say I don't know how I sat threw this whole piece of **** film. The acting was terrible and the main character was even more terrible than the acting! I really recommend you don't waste your time watching this crap!
July 20, 2014
LOVED this flick. Standing up to man!
February 24, 2013
i think this is one of those movies that you have to be in the age group to enjoy
Jason R

December 28, 2012
December 15, 2012
I just kind of enjoyed it, and although it did seem a bit amateurish, I managed to get through it gleefully. I t was an innocent film that felt like a good episode of GLEE>
December 7, 2012
Funny and different...not the usual Hollywood schlock.
October 15, 2012
Kinda like Mean Girls, but more...unisex.
October 14, 2012
has heart, weak third act.
martinw
October 12, 2012
Total fizzle.
I've never seen a plot die such a horrible death.
Unless the writer just ran out of time, the film amounts to a sunday school lesson against rocking the boat.
"Be a wimp, kids."
August 4, 2012
This was a great tale of a young man finding his voice without it being all faggy.
Brad K.
July 19, 2012
April 13, 2012
This movie is a fantasic work that really seems to know what it is talking about.
September 1, 2011
I looove Jesse Mccartney! been waiting to see this movie forever!