Big

Big Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

March 28, 2013
Big is a pretty good film that I enjoyed, but I felt it wasn't as good as what everyone has said about. The film is good for what it is, but it leaves a lot of room for improvement. I enjoyed Tom Hanks in the film, but he has made far better films later on in his career. The film is pretty funny, but it could have been improved upon in some areas. The cast do a fine job and there is enough good humor to make this film worth watching. At times the film is cheesy, but overall it is a fun and entertaining film that has lots to offer. Although it is far from being the masterpiece that critics have claimed it to be. Tom Hanks is good in his role, but he has starred in better movies. Big has heart, and it's something that lacks in many of today's movies. Of course the film is not without its flaws, but it overcomes them by being an amusing film that viewers of all ages can enjoy. If you want to watch one of Tom Hanks earlier hits, then Big is the one to watch. Like I said, I found some parts to be a bit corny, but overall, the story and cast make it enjoyable and there are enough good gags to make it worthwhile. The film has enough memorable moments top make it a stand out comedy that will entertain you from start to finish. Although far from perfect, I really enjoyed the film for what it was and it is charming despite it being a bit silly, but in the end that's the point. After all it's a 12 year old trapped in a 30 year olds body, so you're going to watch an adult act like a kid, which I must admit is amusing. A must see film if you love Tom Hanks, and this film would showcase his early skills as an up and coming actor that would make an impact on film.
Albert K

January 19, 2012
After many years, this formula works wonders. Every turn it takes, it's entertaining. Not much more then that. Tom Hanks was fantastic.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

September 20, 2011
Big is unbelievably charming and the performance by Hanks is totally sweet and believable. The Oscar should have went to Hanks in this uniquely amazing comedy
Dean !

December 31, 2006
I finally got round to seeing it and I have to say, What is the Big deal? Considered a classic, nice idea done many times since and better in my opinion. Starring a young Tom Hanks, maybe if a saw it as a kid it would have been more fun, but now it just looks a bit dated. It was ok at times but I wouldn't call it a classic by any means.
michael e.
michael e.

November 7, 2011
The films humor is close to being safe and innocent family fun with a few winks to the adults and is a great film for the family ages 10+. Its not a straight up comedy, but it has some very funny moments and the film is almost the perfect family film. I say almost because they swear up a storm in this film, the most shocking is when 12 year old Billy says "DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE FUCK THIS IS?!!" angrily to Josh. But aside from that the film is very funny and full of charm and charisma from Tom Hanks and is a very sweet and fun film to watch. I say check it out if you want to see a sweet and fun film.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

March 3, 2009
Yesterday Josh Wanted Everything In Life - Girls...Money...Cars... Today, All His Wildest Dreams Have Come True!

Saw it again! Great Movie! This is Tom Hanks probably best 80's film. Excellent story!

A young boy named Josh Baskin, wish one day from an old machine to be big, despite the fact that he does not believe it is going to work. He is very surprised, therefore, to find himself in the next day- big. Now he looks like a 30 years old guy, but he still behave like a twelve years boy. He decide to go with his best friend to New York, to find the machine that can fix his wish. In New York he gets a job in a toy company, and develop a relationship. Currently, he must learn to get used to the adults world he always wanted to be part of. Would he still like to remain an adult?
Lady D

July 28, 2006
The late 80's Classic, that made every kid want a piano on the floor to play Chopsticks on. The film still hasn't lost any of it's magic, watching it this many years on.

Nostalgic and fun.
Alexander D

July 21, 2011
Good
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 19, 2008
A heartwarming tale about 13 year old Josh Baskin (Tom Hanks) who wants to be Big but in the end decides he misses his family and that he doesn't want to be big anymore. A great movie & Elizabeth Perkins also had a great role as Hanks girlfriend in the movie, Susan Lawerence as did Robert Loggia as MacMillian. I really enjoyed this movie and I know that you will too.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
A great comedy! A sad ending too.
Conner R

November 19, 2009
One of my all time favorite "real life" fantasy movies, as well as being one of my favorite movies period. The idea of an uncomfortable tween turning into a full grown Tom Hanks is all too beautiful to see unfold on screen. It takes a very realistic setting and issue and then turns into something truly original and incredibly bizarre (in a good way). However, it doesn't glorify the situation all that much, it makes the idea all too real and dramatic. Big Boy Tom Hanks has a lot of real issues that he has to sort out; including getting a job, having sex and evading suspiscion of kidnapping himself. Tom Hanks is always good when he does comedy and this is one of his absolute best performances in one. He manages to evoke the mannerisms and speech pattern of his twelve-year-old counterpart, while also passing as an adult. Big is such a large collection of genres, feeling so plausible as a real life situation for its duration.
Fernando Rafael Q

November 1, 2006
Before I watched BIG (which totally exceeded my expectations), I was a mild Tom Hanks hater. I'm happy to announce I'm finally cured.

Tom Hanks is incredible as Josh Baskin, a 13 year-old kid who, after making a wish on a machine at a carnival, wakes up as a thirtysomething guy. Hanks is so damn adorable. Impressive directorial work from Penny Marshall, as well as outstanding score and editing (Howard Shore and Barry Malkin, respectively).

The iconic keyboard scene is as great as I had imagined. Perfection.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
Going off of the fact that all kids wish they could grow up, the kid in this movie actually gets his wish. This movie is very funny and clever and enjoyable. I highly recommend it. It's my favourite Tom Hanks picture.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 24, 2007
one of those movie classics that everyone should see
Lewis C

March 3, 2008
"I wish I were big."

Like all kids do at some point, Josh is a thirteen year-old boy who wants to be grown up already. But unlike other kids, Josh gets his wish - thanks to a creepy looking machine at a fair. He wakes up the next morning in the body of a thirty year-old and the story continues in a familiar but pleasing direction, from there.

Tom Hanks has always been a very good actor, which this movie proves quite well. From his expressions to his mannerisms, he really seems like a kid in a grown man's body. His performance alone is enough to make this worth watching for fans of his. (And shouldn't that include everyone?) Beyond that, Big is an amusing, harmless, and predictable movie to spend a few hours with.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
It's corny and nutty, but it's still fun. It's a charming 80s comedy back before Tom Hanks got all serious. I don't remeber too much about this, or how well it's aged, but it's still rather entertaining and fun. I think everyone has had fantastical wishes like the one displayed here.
Jay H

August 9, 2010
Tom Hanks is pretty much perfect as a 13-year-old boy magically turned into a 30-year-old man after making a wish at a carnival fortune teller machine that he were "big". Both the writers and Hanks absolutely nail the essence and mannerisms of a pre-adolescent boy. Watching the seriousness of the adults around him as he just acts like an unassuming child reminds us of why being a kid was so great. This movie was great fun, with lots of laughs and lots of smiles.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
I re-watched this and I gotta say how freaking hilarious this film is. And how well acted! As a kid, I did not appreciate how hard it must be to be an adult and totally act as a carefree child, but Tom Hanks makes it look so easy. And it is SO much funnier as an adult. A plus I want his studio apartment SO badly. With the toys and all. Bad ass.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 9, 2007
ive always enjoyed this movie!
ive seen it like 10+ times now but i still very much enjoy this light hearted funny and well acted movie!!
its a movie that you have to love because i reckon its probably every kids dream to be an adult and work in a toy industry where you can just muck about for hours on end!!
tom hanks as usual is amazing this movie is well worth a watch!
Jason S

December 27, 2006
There are many movies out there that follow the same plot as this one but none that I can remember that have the same heart. We see a kid sitting in the place between childhood and his teen years trying to just get by without too much trouble when he makes the wish to be big. He then jumps ahead physically to his 30's and has to find his way around the adult world for a couple months while trying to keep his natural childhood innocence.
One of the best scenes in the movie is when Hanks has to play a 12 year old on his own for the first time without his mother and his fear of the world outside his seedy motel room. Hanks gets the character in his mannerisms and heart.
Very recommended.