Big Ass Spider! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Big Ass Spider! Reviews

January 6, 2014
Amusing B movie horror comedy that is surprisingly well made film considering its budget. This genre is lots of fun when it's done right, and with this film, we get just that. The film had a few weak parts, but overall it does succeed as an entertaining comedy horror film. The cast do good work here, and I thought that it was a return to form for these types of movies. If you enjoy sheer ridiculousness in films, then this is a film for you. There are times where I felt that the films potential didn't reach its fullest, but for what we get, this is still a good, entertaining ride. If you enjoy low budget horror flicks, then give this one a shot. The film has plenty of elements to make it worth seeing, but at times, the script could have been polished a bit. However that's to be expected from films like this, and you really can't expect anything great here. Big Ass Spider has its flaws, but the idea is quite good, and it is a fun, and highly entertaining return to films like Arachnophobia and Eight Legged Freaks, which are better, but this film manages to have that essence of what made those movies appealing. For a low budget affair, this film is very creative in terms of special effects and story. The film also has plenty of funny bits throughout and manages to join the genre as a fun, and silly movie that is exactly what you need to see with a group of friends. Don't expect a great film; just expect a good film, one that manages to entertain you with its ridiculous premise and fun humor.
October 30, 2013
three stars!!
½ March 16, 2013
'Big Ass Spider!'. As absurd and fun as the name suggests! B-grade goodness meant for a midnight screening with an audience.
May 16, 2014
So, I'm not a huge fan of spiders, as those who know me can attest. Oddly enough, I like to watch spider movies that make me want to shit myself repeatedly. I was expecting a low budget piece of crap, but this one had a good bit of humor, decent effects and a good script. They were right too, that was one big ass spider. They alluded to a possible sequel at the end by showing a giant roach. It was probably just for added comedy, but I hope they make it. Looking very much forward to Big Ass Roach! (I'm sure hillbilly Iowa will be the 50th state to legalize, but I can dream.) See what I did there?
½ September 24, 2015
Well, it's a big alien spider rampaging through the city, so not much more to say there. Only as a background playing through dinner or a party.
August 28, 2015
Imagine a 50s Style big bug movie with modern special effects & writers that can get away with jokes frowned on in the 50s. Excellent Director & Cast put it over the top for Must See!!!!!
July 23, 2015
This was pretty funny!
½ May 23, 2015
Within the first 10 mins you have the worst green screen tracking of a human ever seen, horrid directing of anyone onscreen, and then the most overacted sad cgi spider death that didnt need to be a cgi spider in a morgue. After that i was out- no reason to waste 1.25 hrs of my life.
April 2, 2015
I was flipping through the channels and landed on this movie. I thought at first it would be another stupid syfy channel home made movie, but this was actually pretty entertaining. This movie knows that it's crap and doesn't pretend to be anything else therefore no confusion exists about its intent.
½ March 29, 2015
Bajo ningún concepto Big Ass Spider es una buena película...pero es una muy digna mala película.

Tiene un presupuesto realmente ajustado y con ello consigue hacer una cinta lo suficientemente bien rodada y con el cariño justo para que entiendas sus pretensiones y te dejes llevar por su tontería.

Es una película para disfrutar con los colegas, echarte unas risas y poco más.
March 3, 2015
Yet another self aware modern-day spin on 1950's giant creature horror movies that thanks to much cheaper visual effects are constantly being churned out these days. This it must be said is one of the better examples. The cast is likeable, there's very little in terms of filler, and you get the feeling that they at least tried to make an enjoyable product here and not just a quick money spinner that only offers its fun/silly title and nothing really more besides. It's a short sit at just under 1 hour 20 mins which is plenty, there's lots of spider based carnage, a fun cameo, and really if you expected more from this than what you actually get then you're a fool.
January 16, 2015
[A gang of baby spiders attacking a women and dragging her away and the main character says this...] Alex Mathis: "Oh no, oh dam she dead, okay guys let get out of here." That right there is some of the worst acting and the worst sentence since the masterpiece of shit that was The Room.

I don't really need to go into full detail about this movie. You can tell by the title of this movie that it's not even going to try to be good and would you know it this movie is awful, but it's so bad that it's actually pretty funny, I mean good god.

The acting is dreadful, the directing is just playing bad and effects are just terrible. This movie is so bad it's actually pretty funny, I won't lie that I laughed more then once during this movie. It's on the same level of funny and bad like The Room.
½ January 9, 2015
Well, if there's anything to be said about 'Big Ass Spider!' is that it at least delivers what it promises. Much better than you'd except with good special effects in spite of the budget. The script doesn't break any new ground with plot and characterisation, but it's fun and any shortcomings are forgiven in way of the likeable, though altogether unexceptional, performances. Destined to be a cult classic, if it isn't already.
December 30, 2014
The film is very B-Grade but I must admit it was very entertaining
December 6, 2014
Fun throwback comedy to the big insect movies of the 50s.
December 2, 2014
Big Ass Spider Movie Review!

So, story-line. A spider is found on the dead body of some person who just so happens to grow extremely in a matter of hours. Hi-jinks ensue.

Now obviously. It can get a bit convoluted, it can be silly, the graphics sometimes are obviously an eye-sore, but you know what? In the end? That's just part of the charm. I found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would.

It's obviously a B-Movie. It's not meant to be taken so seriously, it's just a movie for fun. And quite honestly, it just doesn't go above and beyond to convince you it's real or try to lure you with sub-realistic things. I mean, it involves aliens at one point. Need I say more?

Bottom line? It's silly fun that you'd like if you wanna take a break from the serious movies.

I give this an 8 out of 10 (4 stars)
½ September 24, 2013
Completely ridiculous and it knows it!
November 26, 2014
Over-the-top male lead that thinks he's funnier than he is?
Female side character that is a damsel-in-distress even though it makes no sense whatsoever that she can't fend for herself in a situation as simple as getting stuck to a tree branch?
Annoying ethnic buddy that spouts really hard-to-understand quips?
Implausible plot with extremely gag-worth ending?

Soooooo... why did people like this movie?
November 8, 2014
An incredibly endearing lead duo paired with a terrific opening make this a fun little bit of spider-goodness.
½ November 11, 2014
Big bleep Spider! is an entertaining B movie that doesn't take itself seriously. It has laughs in it, although not as funny as the jokes were, and the acting sounds like they are having fun with this, especially Greg Grunberg. There was some parts that don't make any sense, but with a premise about a giant spider roaming around killing people, it makes that flaw pointless. There are some effective scares in it, and the effects fit in with B movie thrills. I felt like it could've been more fun and make the plot more absurd in an entertaining way, but it is your usual B movie that viewers would enjoy.