—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Big Bounce Reviews

Conner R

December 2, 2010
This is a great movie that is always fun to watch. The plot is great, the characters are really fun to watch and the Hawaii backdrop is a nice touch. Owen Wilson, to me, is always funny and this was no exception. I really like the comedy approach to noir, for some reason it just really works.
BEACHBUNNI
BEACHBUNNI

September 19, 2010
Jack (Owen Wilson) is a low-key thief in Hawaii, looking for a scam after getting fired from a construction job. He winds up working for district judge Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), doing odd jobs and gazing at Nancy (Sara Foster), the hooker mistress of the construction magnate (Gary Sinise),from beginning to end, the leading female character, Nancy, is central to the plot of the story, Heists almost get pulled, fates almost intersect, but not quite....Apart from some beautiful shots of Hawaii and some kewl cliff diving footage, there was nothing that really grabbed me about this movie......
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

July 22, 2008
Its an ok light hearted funy film a bit pointless but its ok
really though this film just seems like everyones conning everyone and then gary sinines has the most smallest part that it was pointless having him in the movie which a was disappointed about!!
Aaron N

June 8, 2006
Frank: I'm desperate for this money and we're friend, right?
Jack Ryan: Yeah, we're friends. But, you know, it's the type of friendship where if you're in trouble, I probably won't be there for you. Just like I wouldn't expect you to be there for me. It's a more honest friendship. It's not this like phony thing. It's a genuine friendship. I can't trust you. You can't trust me. I'm not gonna take a bullet for you. I'm not gonna jump on a grenade for you.

A laid back con caper/comedy. I wanna use the phrase surfer noir (I should save it for a better movie, but when will I get another chance). And of course it's laid back, it takes place in Hawaii.

Lou Harris: You wanna piss with me?
Jack Ryan: I don't even understand what you're saying. Do I wanna piss with you?

Based off a book by Elmore Leonard, Owen Wilson stars as Jack Ryan, a small-time con artist living in Hawaii. After causing some trouble with a local boss, Gary Sinese, he is fired from a job and makes his way under the eyes of a judge/hotel manager, Morgan Freeman.

Jack also meets the local hottie/con artist Nancy, played by Sara Foster. The two form a relationship of sorts, with Jack showing her some conning. The movie drifts along developing a small caper plot involving some money and twists, before reaching the final ending twist.

Nancy Hayes: Jack, what do you think will happen if that money reaches those thugs.
Jack Ryan: I don't know. They'll probably have a hell of a luau.
Nancy Hayes: I mean to Walter!
Jack Ryan: We'll probably get invited.

The dialog is nice and sharp of course because it is from another book by Elmore Leonard. The Hawaii aspect is also effective because it doesn't just show the same old sights, it does a good job of going to different places. The cast is also in a laid back mode and it's just kind of nice.

It may not ever be seen as a great or memorable movie, but I have a good time watching it.

Bob Rogers, Jr.: You trying to be cute?
Walter Crewes: Now, Junior, who can be cute with you around?
Bob Rogers, Jr.: This is company business, Walter.
Walter Crewes: Does he work for you?
Bob Rogers, Jr.: No, but we paid him off and he agreed to leave.
Walter Crewes: You paid him off because you owed him. Now he doesn't work for you anymore. Right? Right. So if he doesn't want to go anywhere, he doesn't have to. Right? Right.
Jack Ryan: Right.
Bob Rogers, Jr.: You gonna let him fight your battles for you?
Jack Ryan: Yeah. He seems to be doing a good job.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

June 3, 2008
Actually, not that bad. The director can expose the beauty of Hawaii even just a little piece of that island. The story itself just ordinary, nothing special. The idea was pretty good, but the story didn't make well. A little weak I think... And choosing Owen Wilson as the main character just didn't work. I think he's too enjoyed with his role so he just thought that role same as another role he played in other movie. He just can't improve himself, he didn't realize that even his biggest fans can get bored by his act in comedy movie. Funny but too cliche, people can get bored if they got always the same comedy in other movie he starred...
James A

December 1, 2007
A huge cast and a huge chunk of shit. Very predictable.
Michael G

November 26, 2006
There was one line of dialogue I liked in this movie but otherwise it truly, truly sucked. It was a contrived piece of shit that few films can match.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

March 2, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=mediumturquoise]"The Big Bounce" stars Owen Wilson as Jack Ryan, a slacker in Hawaii who gets fired from a construction job for using a baseball bat on a foreman during a demonstration.(Maybe he was using steroids?) This movie is based on a book by Elmore Leonard, which lately has come to be synonymous with lots of offbeat criminal types trying to outjockey each other in a humorous manner but "The Big Bounce" never finds its rhythm and concentrates too much time between Wilson and an anonymous blonde. Basically, it just falls flat. Morgan Freeman steals every scene he's in but Vinnie Jones is wasted in a bit part. But this film does provide insight into why Gary Sinise took the lead role on "CSI: NY" and Bebe Neuwirth likewise in "Law and Order: Trial by Jury."[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#48d1cc][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#48d1cc](Note: Morgan Freeman also lends support in The Sum of All Fears to another character named Jack Ryan(Ben Affleck). The two characters are probably not related.)[/color][/font]
John B

January 30, 2013
Most memorable moment for those who have seen this film - the hotness of Sara Foster. It was an ideal that not even Foster could live up to in subsequent films. Other than that, the Big Bounce is big rubbish put on the screen by those who ought to have known better. The film thinks it is witty but really is a big pity.
Joseph E

June 25, 2009
Hated it!
Marcus W

December 22, 2007
One of those con-man films where everybody has a motive and you don't find out who was "actually" conning who till the very end - which comes quickly. This is a short film and the "reveal" at the end is very non-thrilling. Even with such a great cast the film can't rise above mediocre, though Sara Foster was really good and showed much more talent than her "blonde model" looks would have you believe. Elmore Leonard or not, this film was "okay"
DrLappos
DrLappos

July 9, 2007
I did laugh...but not a lot.
broadwaymo
broadwaymo

April 1, 2007
There are better ways to kill 90 minutes...
April 3, 2012
The all-star cast can't make up for a bland story and amateurish direction. George Armitage relies far too heavily on filler to compensate for the lack of a plot and Freeman, Wilson, and Foster seemed embarrassed to be involved in the mess. The Big Bounce never amounts to more than a lackluster heist film that is heavy on unrealistic circumstances and light on suspense. The Big Bounce is a waste of great actors and for that alone is worthy of being one of the worst big budget films I have seen.
January 25, 2009
In my quest to watch every single Owen Wilson film, I had to watch this even though I was warned it was going to be crappy. It's not that this film didn't have potential. First, it had a decent cast and story. The problem was execution and the feeling that everyone was just in it for the paid Hawaii vacation. Overall, it's one of Owen's worst but not worse (from very loose standards) than The Haunting.
cappieforpresident
January 10, 2009
I like this movie. It's kind of funny. And the fact that they have a Jet song featured make it even better!
bradwest
November 1, 2008
Y'know this looked like an excuse for everyone to have fun in Hawaii. It actually didn't bother me. It's a laid back crime comedy. I approached it the same way.
September 13, 2007
it had it's moments. some twists, but not the best movie that Owen Wison or Morgan Freeman has played in.
rabidwombat22
August 20, 2007
Decent plot, horribly directed, dumb dialogue. completely not worth it. If you like movies where people randomly walk around and say random things then youll like it. If you have a brain, you wont.
February 11, 2007
8-20-07 --Classic Owen Wilson. With Owen in your film how can you go wrong? You don't. This film is a remake of an older film. Don't know much about it. Need to see it. How does a con-man pull one over another con-man? Well, it's not easy, just ask Sara Foster's Character. Owen makes the film. It's nice to have Morgan Freeman in there giving the movie acting chops. Go Owen!!!