The Big Country (1958)
Average Rating: 6.7/10
Reviews Counted: 10
Fresh: 10 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Release Date: Jan 1, 1958 Wide
Average Rating: 3.9/5
User Ratings: 5,288
In The Big Country Gregory Peck plays a seafaring man who heads west to marry Carroll Baker, the daughter of rancher Charles Bickford. Bickford is currently embroiled in a water-rights feud with covetous Burl Ives, so both he and his daughter are hoping that Peck can take care of himself. But Peck, who doesn't belief in fisticuffs, appears to be a coward, especially when challenged by Bickford's cocksure foreman Charlton Heston. The far-from-cowardly Peck decides to distance himself from the
Jan 1, 1958 Wide
Mar 20, 2001
Maj. Henry Terrill
John R. McKee
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Burl Ives won the Supporting Actor Oscar for playing a patriarch in William Wyler's sprawling, overlong Western, though the award also might have been given to him for similar part in Cat on Hot Tin Roof.
Wide open-spaced mega western, full of stars, color, and a great Jerome Moross score.
Audience Reviews for The Big Country
- Pat Terrill: Hello, throw something off a chair and sit down. Would you like to try a cigarette?
- Julie Maragon: Where'd you get those?
- Pat Terrill: In the east. Don't look so shocked. I saw a woman smoking one. Very elegant. Oh well, I don't care about anything anyway.
- James McKay: Now tell me Leech, what did we prove?
- Steve Leech: All I can say, McKay, is you take a hell of a long time to say goodbye.
- Maj. Henry Terrill: What makes you think he wont?
- Pat Terrill: Well, speak up.
- Ramon: He say, not worry. He says he coming back. And by the way, you know, he's got a funny watch!
- Rufus Hannassey: That would be something, boy, if you were to marry Julie Maragon. That'd be a miracle, sure enough. Keep after her. Be nice. Stop womaning around San Rafael! Treat her right. Take a bath sometime.
- Pat Terrill: Don't you care what people think?
- James McKay: No, you're not responsible for what other people think, only what you are.
Discuss The Big Country on our Movie forum!
Featured on RT
- Weites Land (DE)
- The Big Country (UK)