—— Hercules Jul 25

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Big Gay Musical Reviews

Christian C

May 21, 2013
High production values for an indie gay film, but really -- not the excellent film the reviews might reflect. I found it emotionally esurient and shallow with acting on par with Missouri community theater. Weren't these guys featured players on "Off Pitch"?
Thomas J

December 18, 2010
This is a great Gay 101 movie!! lol It gives a newbie and education while following other gays through typical gay scenarios. Campy and fun... I think even somewhat open-minded straight people would laugh a few times. But at the heart, I think most gay people can relate to at least one character or a combination of several characters. Tongue-in-cheek fun!
Sylvester K

August 27, 2011
Touching plot, interesting songs and acting, however, some scenes are just plain silly
rayconteurcom1
January 2, 2012
I guess I was in a rather sappy movie, but this was my second time watching the film and it had me laughing at the layers of gay cultural references and tearing up over the more poignant scenes in the film. I really enjoyed Daniel Robinson (Paul/Adam) and Joey Dudding (Eddie/Steve), but the entire ensemble was really stellar. I wish they had done more to work through the subplot of the HIV+ character. And, though, the play clearly drew a line in the sand that was (a) there's a Christian God and He loves you, and (b) God loves homosexuality, (both I disagree with on varying levels of philosophical and logical premises) I came away feeling great that it wasn't just another gay film without a proper, progressive message and there was great casting, directing, production, and acting throughout. I'll definitely watch this again.
gpswenson
November 23, 2011
Dull and predictable story with cardboard cutout characters and offensive, negative stereotypes. Hard to believe I like other films from Casper so much. This one seems like the work of an entirely different person. Rated half a star for Corrigan's beauty.
cappieforpresident
July 13, 2011
OMG, hot guys! Somewhat lame production, but still a totally cute movie. Oh, and not to mention funny.
December 30, 2012
I was pleasantly surprised to find some very well written dialogue and great acting in this movie. The ending is very open and satisfying, especially the heartfelt song sung by Liz McCartney. It should be the theme anthem for the "It Gets Better Project". In the top 10% of the gay movie genre n my book.
October 15, 2012
I have probably seen this movie like twelve times and it's completely lovely in every way.
lasttimeisaw
September 10, 2012
An off-broadway musical-in-the-film vaudeville, the musical is calledâAdam and Steve, Just the Way God Made Themâ?, so the skeletal story, one could effortless divine is a blasphemous entertainment, after Adam and Eve failed to achieve what Godâ(TM)s expectancy to blossom in the Eden (thanks to the forbidden fruit), he instead dabs in moulding a gay couple, the new Adam and Steve, but the film has no consistence in promoting the musical, since its absolutely small-scale theatre and its episodic occurrences only methodically adjusts itself to be the perfect foil in mirroring two leading actorsâ(TM) mundane lives, nevertheless the musical parts are arguably the redeeming features with a patchwork of the angelic dancing routines (the angel Dorothy is horridly over-the-top), corrective therapy to cure gayness and the Catholic kitsch sermons, which are partly insanely funny, partly inanely tedious.

There are no single ugly boys in the film, eye-candies are permeating, but the two leaders are considerably capable of doing more than just meet the eyes, Daniel Robinson gives an edge in his both physical movements and emotional thrust, (after a sudden and completely unexplained disappearance of his 3-weeks boyfriend, the once-believed-in-love boy decides to go wild), his rendition of âI WANNA BE A SLUTâ? is the crest of the entire film. Joey Dudding, who is dealing with the virgin coming-out cliche (with a bluff of HIV-panic), has his own moment in some strip-dancing solo presentation, but compared with Robinsonâ(TM)s go-slutty transformation, his section has barely any praiseworthy flickering.

By and large the film is as kitschy as any of its peers, thinking it too much is plain pointless and it is a timely reminder of us to cherish the day.
January 19, 2012
So, let me just put this out there now, if you don't like theatre, are a homophobe, or a combination of the two DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE. However, if you are an open minded individual who loves everyone no matter what their orientation, then yes give this a shot. As promised, this is super campy, with 99.9% of the humor being musicals/showtunes/religion themed. The stage musical itself that is being put on is highly, highly, satirical, and enjoyable, with good music, and fantastic voices singing that music. Even though it is not rated, this is not a movie for the kids. Fuck is said a few times, and there is sex all over the place, but nothing too explicit. Most likely would have gotten an R rating. Campiness aside, there is a real heart behind this movie, especially at the end, which I won't ruin for you, but I was tearing up. Maybe this movie should be shown to homophobes, they could learn a thing or two.

7.5/10
August 31, 2011
I have to admit, I am not really into musicals, therefore for me there was a tad bit too much singing in this movie, but overall I liked it, it was entertaining, funny, yet had some depth to it.
Sylvester K

August 27, 2011
August 7, 2011
Campy, witty, and all-around fun. Can be a bit cheesy at times, but take that out and it's truly one of the best gay musicals around.
Andreas D.
June 13, 2011
The Big Gay Musical contains some good moments. The film (and especially the choreography) is often charming, entertaining and funny. However, all these things cannot obscure the film's flaws and shortcoming.

Considering that the actual story is already very short since half of the film is the story of the musical, the writers have packed quite a lot of themes into just one script: There's the search for Mr. Right, a coming out, homosexuality versus religion, being disappointed after a one night stand and the obligatory HIV tests. So we end up with a tremendously simplified coming out story and more abridged storylines.

If you have been following our reviews, you will know that we are not too fond of blasphemy. This film (or the musical within the film) is not only a "spoof of religious-right antigay bigotry" (as Albert Williams wrote for the Chicago Reader), but it is a spoof of the entire Genesis creation narrative. We believe that if you want to be confronted with tolerance and respect, you have to be tolerant and respectful yourself - and that includes being tolerant of religious people, too. You don't have to be religious yourself, but we don't think it is nice to make fun of other people's faith.

The Big Gay Musical is not exactly a bad film but it suffers from several shortcomings and the fact that another gay themed musical film, namely the far superior Were The World Mine, was released just one year earlier.
yourownfriend
July 14, 2010
"when a movie doesn't give you any reason to care about anything or anyone in it then there's, nothing to see here. Move along"
ichigoorlelouch k.
April 8, 2010
Funny and sensual. Fantastic. Heart-warming. Truth-speaking. Glorifying.
Mike C.
September 16, 2009
I really enjoyed it - great cast, some great songs. It was funny and moving... AND it had a great message. Too many gay movies are depressing - this was uplifting.
T.L.
September 16, 2009
Effort is fine and all. But. When are we gonna move beyond superficial nonsense more relevant to teens than to adults, or should I say fully functioning adults?