The Big One Reviews

Spencer S
½ August 3, 2010
The politics of filmmaker Michael Moore are very in your face, brash and uninvited. Still, his almost ridiculous obnoxious mannerisms and quirks usually make for a great watch, his grandstanding on public property and plights to meet with big business leaders legendary. His points are usually valid, his demeanor that of a figure with sound mind and researched facts, but I think we can all agree that he chops around what is true to make his documentaries. Instead of the usual narration, statistics, and actual message to bring to the American people, he lets us look at the behind the scenes action on his book tour, crossing America in a haphazard manner. You would think it would be a standard tour, just bringing out the actions of the book, but oh no, that isn't quite dramatic enough for Michael Moore's tastes. Instead he takes on every downsizing corporation in the towns he travels to, including my native capitol, Madison, Wisconsin. The reason I'm perturbed by this film over his other documentaries, is the laissez faire approach, the unknowing to where he's going next, what he's trying to get across, and who is responsible. He has a target, but for every argument he makes against something in his documentaries, there's hardly ever any suggestions to fix it. Here he wants corporations to stop moving jobs overseas, so the alternative is pretty simple. He even meets with unionized bookstores along the way. I enjoyed the comedic aspects, the belaboring care for the people he meets, and the protests of what is moral in this country. It just wasn't a part of the grandiose masterpieces I am used to.
bbcfloridabound bbcfloridabound
October 3, 2009
From the 1997 Toronto Film Festival. As much as I dislike Michael Moore, I have to admit this film produced by him is pretty good. Shows How Corporate America, is here for one thing and that?s to line there pockets with poor and middle class folks money. Movie jobs to Mexico and South America and US Prisons. Why did you leave out India Michael, have you ever had a computer that needed customer service, oh no that?s right you've gotten rich by writing books and making movies that also deface America. Ok I am off my Soap Box. Buy before I step down, Michael why don't you come to Ft Benning Georgia for a tour some day. 3 Stars. A rental Only I doubt that you will watch it more then once or Lend it put.
John B
½ September 9, 2007
In retrospect, one of Michael Moore's weaker efforts. I liked mainly because I wanted to see something from Moore other than Roger and Me...but the best was yet to come.
Christopher B
January 30, 2008
A lot of fun for Moore fans, more like his TV show than his more recent documentaries. A lot of fun poking fun at the rich and powerful while following his book tour.
Sarah P
September 9, 2007
One of Moore's earlier films, focused on Michigan but could be almost anywhere in the U.S. Great doc from him as always.
rodjeckrich rodjeckrich July 11, 2013
Michael Moore might be a little too obvious and narcissistic at times but often crafts interesting ideas and makes decent and entertaining documentaries. Except Fahrenheit 9/11.
jmillerdp jmillerdp May 22, 2011
I believe this is easily the best Michael Moore movie. He did this as a lark, having his camera crew follow him on a book tour. So, when he spontaneously meets people discussing their battles against Corporate America, it feels real. Plus, Moore's self-deprecating humor goes a long way to making this an ingratiating documentary!
tashagirl113 tashagirl113 August 9, 2008
Michael Moore has the uncanny ability to make me cry and this film was no different. He really is a breath of fresh air and only says aloud what we all are thinking. Its nice to have someone willing to stand up for the people in this country, becaues are government sure isn't.
stargirlsk8r stargirlsk8r March 9, 2007
It is really sad how people are losing their jobs left and right due to downsizing. Michael Moore does and excellent job capturing what is known to most corporations as "little guys" and the realities of how much dependency they have upon thier jobs.
asktom asktom January 23, 2007
Moore is a funny and poignant man if you believe he's full of propoganda or not, it's movies like this that remind me he's trying to help!
chris288 chris288 ½ October 12, 2006
haaa...sequel to "Roger and ME" Keep roll'n...Watch his documentaries people..eh' YThis one's different from alot of his others though...no kidding!
Eric L August 29, 2006
A straightforward and humorous commentary that challenges the corporate establishment and the B.S. that surrounds it. Unlike his later political agenda spewing deceptions under the guise of documentaries such as Bowling For Columbine and Farenheit 9/11, Moore doesn't use his talent behind a camera to paint a completely one sided picture.
brioche74 brioche74 ½ June 3, 2006
They came to my home town in this one...the funniest part of the film. The part when he was exposing the lies the people were telling him and he ended up at Rick Neilson's house!
Robin Brown Robin Brown May 23, 2014
Entertaining, though not very informative for most people in 2014. I already knew what the message of this movie would be before it began, but there are excellent examples of the humans affected by corporate greed which makes it worth watching. It felt a bit gimmicky and self-promoting at times, focusing too much on the fact that this was a book tour. That should not have been Michael Moore's focus when making this movie, unless he just wanted to sell even more books.
Dylan P. Dylan P. May 16, 2013
Well my quest to watch every Michael Moore movie ever continues with "The Big One". I really was unsure what the plot of this one was going in all I knew was that it mocked corporate America. It mainly revolves around Michael's book tour for his book "Downsize This!" and the stories he hears about capitalisms plague on America. The film was funny and factual like all of Moore's films. He relentlessly mocks CEO's and the American bourgeois and it is just so hilarious. If you are a Moore fan, this is a forgotten film of his and I would really reccommend watching this one. I might have to buy this one on DVD.
Luc L. Luc L. January 12, 2013
A fair documentary about corporation. It has good points but the film dragged of unnecessary footages of touring, speeches and his book promotion.
Jason M ½ January 19, 2011
Entertaining Moore film, but not one of his best.
eamonn286 eamonn286 ½ September 4, 2007
Its sad to watch and see the reality of Downsizing and Outsourcing looming over the heads of many working Americans, "The Big One" serves as an interesting Documentary. The film tries to see why companies are recording record profits but so many of our fellow Americans are losing their jobs. It focuses on oursourcing jobs and the mistreatment of workers. Powered only with a camera and sarcasm, Michael Moore makes a very compelling arguement.
jazza923 jazza923 July 23, 2007
Mild Michael Moore documentary, but typical of his early style and often very funny. You have to be a fan of his to appreciate it. It doesn't dig as deep as his later efforts. Diverting fun.