• PG, 1 hr. 42 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Big Picture Reviews

Ken S

May 7, 2007
Kind of like the Player and The Scret Life of Walter Mitty, but not nearly as good as either.
Jason S

March 13, 2009
This was a good flick but there were elements introduced in the beginning of the movie that fell away.
All of the actors did fine jobs but the movie was a little predictable. It was fun for the person who is familiar with how Hollywood works.
One funny thing... it seemed that every character in the movie who smoke was played by someone who obviously didn't.
iLeo
iLeo

December 12, 2007
Hilarious!
February 12, 2010
A decent eighties movie, but it is also quite dated. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
August 9, 2012
Fun silly movie about being true to yourself and not selling yourself when true happiness is with your family and friends. Lots of cameos to boot.
GabrielKnight
July 6, 2011
Starts out quite hilarious and I loved the "sketches" in main character's imagination. Unfortunately it gets a bit too silly towards the end, and Martin Short is a major distraction. He acted like it was an SNL sketch rather than a movie role.
allefra25
February 7, 2010
It was unbelievably 80s (and obviously very dated). The music, the cinematography, the costumes...it seemed more like it was from 1986 than '89. It also was somewhat funny, but not "hilarious." It was good, though, it honestly was. I liked the plot and I liked Kevin Bacon. I thought his (re?) ascent to fame was a little unbelievable, especially since that music video was really kind of awful. It was very avant-garde, but I think they got its weirdness confused for great art. I still liked the ending though, that he got to make the movie that he wanted to make. Y'know, my reviews are quite rambling and fully of spoilers. I should work on that. Um, yeah, anyway, this movie was alright. Better than decent. EDIT: This was by Christopher Guest? I seriously could not tell. Nothing like his other movie's at ALL. And if it was a satire, it failed. But I still liked it, for some reason. I'd never want to watch it again, and I can't really explain why I liked it, but it wasn't the worst thing I've watched this week.
January 6, 2007
This surprisingly uninspired satire of the movie industry from Christopher Guest has less bite than I would expect from such a talented filmmaker and cast. Virtually everything Guest wants to say is said better in "The Player" and "Swimming with Sharks." A bit disappointing.
August 18, 2014
A flawed but charming comedy about the politics of Hollywood, Guest shows that he has a director's eye without losing his touch for what's funny. A decent way for a director to debut.
March 24, 2014
one of those things from the 80's that make you thing not everything was lost.
December 8, 2013
another movie that will only appeal to film nerds and people interested in Hollywood. This movie is solid but there are better examples of this exact type of film out there. Certain story elements are rushed and scenes contain awkward pauses. not a mockumentary like most guest films.
July 7, 2007
I wanted to see this when I was a kid because it was about filmmaking. It was pretty boring though.
Lyn S.
November 5, 2010
I forgot I saw this movie...
UOVEROPINIONATEDDOUCHES
August 4, 2010
THE Hollywood satire brought to the big screen - Debut directorial effort by Christopher Guest...no?...Nigel Tufnel? OK...how about the director of "Best In Show" - You may have heard the story before but the movie is entertaining
brendan n.
February 3, 2010
an eighties comedy that allows kevin bacon to shine in a role that was mostly given to michael j fox. clever take on the film industry and some memorable scenes.
a favourite of my since my first viewing and one film i have been awaiting in australian r4 for quite a while.
BarbiesLeftPump
October 15, 2009
My fave Kevin Bacon movie. It is so good.
SteveMiller
May 19, 2007
When film-student Nick Chapman (Bacon) wins a prestigeous award and is immediatey given a movie to direct by a studio executive (Walsh), he thinks his career is rocketing along. But, after selling out with lightning speed, he discovers how fickle and phony the business and people in the movie industry are.

Although the story of "The Big Picture" is one that's been told a hundred times over, it's retold here with great charm, humor, and a cast where every actor is excellent and at the top of his or her game. (Kevin Bacon, J.T. Walsh, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Micheal McKean are particularly good in this film. Leigh truly rocks as a kooky artist.)

Unfortunately, the first act of the movie really drags for me, partly because it consists almost entirely of scenes featuring people being akward or indfferent, but mostly Nick is such a dunderhead. Basically, in the first case, the director is trying to show us that Nick is aout of his element, and that he is feeling starstruck and awkward, but it's done too many times and it feels over done. (Maybe that's because I've been on both ends of that situation--the one feeling awkward and star-struck AND being the person who had to suffer through encounters with the awkward and star-struck that I feel this way. Plus it annoyed mee throws his friends and fiance overboard for [i]one[/i] film deal and a slutty B-actress? I felt like his film school nemesis deserved more success, because he was a self-absorbed prick who never seemed to be more than that, while Nick turns into one almost overnight.

Things get better as the film goes on--once Nick gets kicked in the teeth by the soulless and fickle Hollywood Movie Machine and then later inadvertently turns it to his advantage--but that first act was so hard to get through for me that I feel it really dragged the whole movie down.

Although I've had very few dealings with the real-life people being mocked in this film, I suspect there is much truth in what is portrayed. It certainly explains how some of the crap I watch and review gets made. It's a fun movie, but I would have enjoyed it more if the first act had been stronger. (Or maybe weaker? Perhaps the actors were TOO good during that part of the movie?)

In final analysis, "The Big Picture" is a movie I want to like more than I do.

The Big Picture
Starring: Kevin Bacon, Emily Longstreth, J.T. Walsh, Michael McKean, and Jennifer jason Leigh
Director: Christopher Guest
Neclord
April 29, 2005
[b]Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World [color=Red]***1/2[/color]
[/b][i]With Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany
Directed by Peter Weir[/i]
Excellent naval adventure, circa 1802, superbly filmed and acted. Weir is fast becoming one of my favorite directors.
[b]The Big Picture [color=Red]***[/color]
[/b][i]With Kevin Bacon and J.T. Walsh
Directed by Christopher Guest
[/i]Pleasantly told Hollywood satire of an aspiring director's corruption by various producers and agents, and his eventual redemption. Biting, but not without it's softness. The many cameos are fun to spot out.