• PG, 1 hr. 38 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Billy: The Early Years Reviews

Bengel W.
October 11, 2013
Considering the national importance of this mans ministry this film lacks the true depth and star studded cast to carry the story. The music is wimpy and lacks any true conveyance of the act upon the screen. The photography and the lighting are bland and fail to add any life to the actors, who are trying their best in an awful layout. This needs to be redone by a superior studio. Nibbles: Pancakes and Maple Syrup.
garfield2710
July 11, 2010
Could've been way better, but it suceeds in being an entertaining biopic about Billy Graham.
techtchr
October 13, 2008
Given the somewhat lame title, I expected to be bored by this movie. However, I found the film to be both surprisingly funny and deeply moving. The performances are great, the soundtrack keeps things moving along, and the conclusion is profound. It would be nice if the "critics" would give this movie a chance, and not get hung up on their predisposition to the message. "Billy the Early Years" is a well-made film and it will definitely join my DVD collection when it's available.
jschroter
October 13, 2008
I had very low expectations based on the trailers and pre-release scenes so I was completely surprised at how well the film was made. It stayed true to the characters portrayed for the most part, but didn't let the facts ruin a good story or scene. It was well-acted, beautifully shot and edited with great symbolism and foreshadowing. It honored the lives of those involved, had a decent score and soundtrack AND most importantly it clearly presented the Gospel. I have no complaints - I can't say I'd do anything differently. Of course they played up Templeton to build conflict (what's a good story without conflict?) but believe it or not his story is pretty factual as well. You just can't make this stuff up sometimes. The filmmakers still left his fate pretty open ended which I appreciate. Some events or dialogue happened earlier or later or not at all - but hey that's film. I give it an A-.
JoeZ
October 12, 2008
Powerful and Inspiring - I saw Billy: The Early years last night and really enjoyed it. The acting and cinematography was excellent and I found the story to be very moving. It?s rare to find such great Hollywood movie that doesn?t have all the usual garbage that goes with it. A must see for everyone.
MoonlightGraham
October 5, 2008
Billy: The Early Years is uneven but worth the trip. His Romance with Ruth and His Theological debate with Charles Templeton are the highlights of the film. Graham's initial conversion at a tent revival didn't carry enough cinematic firepower to satisfy me and there were a few instances during his initial days in Seminary and preaching that almost made me question the films intentions (parody or biography?) But, once Ruth turns up in the Wheaton, Illinois section of the film and when the tensions mount between Graham and Templeton, this film makes it's lasting impressions. If it were a hitter in the batter's box I'd score it a solid Double!!