64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

April 26, 2007
uneven - uninteresting - unessential
Anthony L

September 24, 2012
Birthday Girl is a strange fish. It screams 'This is a Film4 production' for the first half an hour, then gets good then turns into a semi-comedy/semi-violent thriller. I like Ben Chaplin but I don't think he's ever reached his full potential. Nicole Kidman was a bit of a coup as far as casting goes but the inclusion of Vincent Cassel and Mathieu Kassovitz should have made this an awesome thriller, come to think of it on the other hand the inclusion of British TV comedy favourites such as Alexander Armstrong, Ben Miller, Stephen Mangan, Mark Gatiss and Reece Shearsmith should have made it an awesome comedy caper but neither transpired. The ending was slow, silly and uninspired. *Spoilers* He left England as a Bank Robber (even though he didn't really rob it) and left with 90,000. A lot of money sure but he left a 30,000 a year job and a three bedroom house in St Albans which would easily be worth 300,000, not to mention his classic MG that, even though it broke down, could fetch 2-3,000. Daft.
Red L

February 16, 2010
What to say about this movie. On the plus side - it stars Nicole Kidman with very few clothes. It is pretty strange - an Australian playing a Russian who speaks English, but pretends not to. On the negative side - I don't think it is one of Nicole's best movies.
A nerdy guy orders a Russian non-English-speaking mail order bride. He finds out she is not quite what he was expecting.
TheGame90
TheGame90

October 6, 2011
It's not a good movie but it was okay to watch. Ben Chaplin is good...Vincent Cassel is good. And Nicole Kidman's russian sound like an asian speaking russian. I wouldn't recomend it. But it's not bad or boring.
Cynthia S

April 5, 2011
A fun, off beat sleeper of a movie. Nicole Kidman is good in this one, and Ben Chaplin does his usual great job. It was not what I was expecting, and I was actually surprised that I liked it as much as I did (especially since there are many people that gave it 1 or 2 stars..??). Good for laughs, and has that darker side to keep it interesting! Good Movie, in my opinion, and I am NOT a Nicole Kidman fan for the most part.
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

November 12, 2010
For the first forty-five minutes of this film, I liked it better when it was called Derailed. At least that had Clive Owen in it. The second forty-five minutes did little to further develop the characters, and there weren't any compelling suspense/action sequence that adequately held my attention. Throughout, the film had a few chuckle-worthy moments that made me wonder whether the filmmakers wanted to make a thriller or a comedy. Either way, it failed to engage, and I think it would've benefited from a decision to move the story in one of those directions.
Lady D

September 4, 2006
Obviously a low budget British film, that wouldn?t usually attract the likes of Vincent Cassel and Nicole Kidman.

Slow moving and very dry humoured, ?Birthday Girl? is probably not quite the film you?d expect it to turn out to be.

Bizarrely, there were claims that Cassel learned Russian for the film ?Extreme Measures? but it would appear that Cassel was already familiar to some of the language before hand.

Watchable, not brilliant.
Dean !

January 2, 2007
A quirky English film a mix of black comedy and drama. It has a few funny moments, a bit more action and twists towards the end. Nicole kidman sheds hers clothes again as a Russian mail order bride who doesn't speak English. However all is not as it appears. Far from a classic but it's ok to pass the time and will raise a few smiles.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 13, 2009
Horrible.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

July 22, 2008
it wasnt bad, and had a great twist at the end really so it is worth a watch
Nani V

November 2, 2008
I thought this film was sort of romantic in a dysfunctional way...It was a different role for Nicole Kidman, I wasn't used to seeing her with dark hair and a little messed up.

It's about this loney guy who works a lot and decides to order a Russian bride, which happens to be Nicole Kidman...and it all starts with her.
vieras e

January 18, 2009
I liked it, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a comedy. Thriller, sure. Drama, definitely.
puffchunk
puffchunk

March 10, 2008
Poopy in a half shell. Poopy power!
Ross C

March 11, 2007
Ben Chaplin (Matt from "Game On") orders a Russian wife from the internet and gets more than he bargained for in this enjoyable thriller.
deano
deano

October 30, 2006
Smart, little thriller and funny love story between Nicole Kidman and her co-star Ben Chaplin.
Joseph E

May 31, 2010
This is sick!
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

July 18, 2011
Well, they tried to make a dark comedy thriller here but the ingredients don't blend properly and takes a left turn too many. Chaplin is a little too naive, but Kidman's delicious Russian accent helps.
Sunil J

October 21, 2007
A bit out there but still well done.
Marcus W

November 2, 2007
A twisted romantic thriller type thing. And it's extremely British too. This is also probably the first time I've enjoyed watching Nicole Kidman. The story keeps chucking up surprises, it doesn't hang around and its only slip is when it tries to be funny by chucking in a who's who of English TV comedians. Great to see Matthieu Kassovitz doing decent work too before Hollywood starting chucking rubbish scripts at him to direct.

Worth seeing.
Robert F

December 23, 2007
Not bad, but not unforgettable either. Kudos to Nicole Kidman for her fine acting, and particularly for mastering Russian for her role. The tone shifted unexpectedly throughout the film - it was hard to tell the difference between what was thriller and what was black comedy/romantic comedy. Short, simple, and compact little story though, which was a nice change.