Blackbeard's Ghost - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blackbeard's Ghost Reviews

August 8, 2007
Another great pirate themed flick, again from Disney. I love the innocent effects n look compared to today, it's lovely, spookyish, charming and Ustinov is pretty funny too. The highlight is the athletics event and I loved the big spooky looking Inn which the old ladies ran and where Blackbeard haunted.
January 7, 2008
I remember liking this one as a kid and the casino scene still stands out for me. Funny.
FiLmCrAzY
November 21, 2007
ive seen this i thought it was funny but i watched it years ago so for its time i thought it was relli funny worth a watch
½ August 17, 2007
I have fond memories of this classic Disney live-action flick, which is now a classic.
July 25, 2006
This is really funny!
½ January 6, 2013
One of my favourite Disney live action films when I was growing up. Ustinov is brilliant as the title character and is obviously enjoying himself. He makes a good foil to Jones' straight man (although I found the latter's constant shouting a little irritating watching it now) and their Athletic scene is brilliant (Disney would pretty much recreate it a few years later in 'The Strongest Man in the World'). Jones is a great physical comedian (Disney always said that he was the best actor at acting with no-one) and him and Pleshette make a good couple. I reckon kids today would still enjoy this film.
½ March 29, 2010
A good-hearted and jolly romp that is great for kids and adults in case you fancy balming your achy soul with some old school Disney famly film love. A great mixture of spookiness, pirates and dear old ladies makes this great fun and a forgotten classics. Ustinov does a great job and you can tell that he has lots of fun playing the role. It is always a pleasure to see the eerie queen Elsa Lancaster talking about curses and ghosts, a true inside joke for film fans. Dean Jones is a tad colourless but then again, so many leading men in Disney films are. Good one.
DrLappos
June 22, 2007
Greta for the kids.
½ February 17, 2011
Ben Stahl's classic novel of supernatural suspense became a Walt Disney Pictures cult favorite, starring Dean Jones as Steve Walker, with Peter Ustinov as the mysterious Capt. Blackbeard.
August 19, 2008
Not a bad movie with pretty decent special effects considering the era. Dean Jones performs well and the movie is filled with humor and action.
March 28, 2008
This is the perfect ghost movie for children. Blackbeard is lovable and comical, nothing like the historical figure he was, but it works for the film and makes it a campy rewatchable film as only 60s Disney could do.
June 17, 2007
This is one of few movies I saw as a child that I still love to this day. Definately one of the best Disney films ever.
June 9, 2007
A completely under-rated movie. Far better than the more recent Pirates of the Caribbeans films. Unlike those movies, this one movies at a fast pace, is easy to follow and is filled with laughs, particularly the hilarious track sequence.
April 4, 2007
A classic Walt Disney film starring Dean Jones and Peter Ustinov. Love the story and the characters in this classic. A movie for all to see.
½ November 20, 2006
Though not as popular as other movies, it still puts a comical air to the once feared pirate.
"Let the man get his own rum, I say!"
½ May 1, 2014
A classic live-action Disney movie that is endearing, yet hilarious at the same time. It will put a smile on your face that won't leave until the movies over. It's inoffensive, light fare for the whole family.
November 2, 2013
It's very ridiculous, but very funny.
May 1, 2013
A feel-good Disney production, a priggish track-and-field coach (Jones) accidentally invokes the ghost of the centuries-old notorious pirate Blackbeard (Ustinov), who has been stuck in limbo eternally after death because of his 10th wife's vicious curse, while being only visible to the coach, Blackbeard needs to do something good to break the curse, so he decides to assist the coach's lame team to win the college competition (using his stunt of invisibility) in order to win the wager to pay back the bank mortgage and save the hereditary hotel which runs by Blackbeard's descendants (a gaggle of old ladies led by Lanchester).

Directed by Robert Stevenson after his post-MARY POPPINS (1964, 7/10) glory, the film fully taps into the jejune bickering and antics between the coach and Blackbeard, an anachronistic farce which hones up to a gratifying hilarity meanwhile tips the scales in hasty absurdity. The over-exploited shtick of Blackbeard's invisibility is as stock as fatiguable, it is a decent family treat after all.

Ustinov's eloquent oratory shines even under the circumstances of nothing stimulating needs to be uttered, whose mellifluous cadences alone can save the audience from the stodgy character' default setting, a tad annoying, a tad self-boasting, but nothing remotely hints Blackbeard's venomous nature. Dean Jones, with a Sean Connery-alike visage, contradictorily jibes with Ustinov's maverick image, has a holier-than-thou standard offering in his goodly appearance, completely sedated under Ustinov's grandstanding and so is Suzanne Pleshette, a professor of child psychology but more frisky and outward than her formal love-interest. Elsa Lanchester, owns a great gambit as an offbeat soothsayer, shamefully then steps off most of the time as a sightseer.

The embellished plot-line of the track events and casino gambling works well with the laughters, Stevenson and screenwriters surely had contrived a plan to let everything looks plausible no matter how illogical it seems, so as hard as they tried, it is a run-of-the-mill level of creation and self-aware of its demographical appeal.
July 16, 2012
A great family film to watch with the kids that has a lot of comedy and still has action and other things that will keep your attention. My family and I have watched this since me and my sister were little and we all still love it. I especially love the police scene and the relay scenes.
April 23, 2012
This movie is a must see for any Peter Ustinov fan. I've loved and watched this movie since I was little an I laugh every time I do.