20% The Identical Sep 05

Blood Diamond Reviews

Page 1 of 1942
John M

March 20, 2007
DiCaprio, Hounsou and Connelly all shine in one of the best films ive seen in a long time. Just kept me glued to my set the whole time i watched this. This was a great film.
Wildaly M

May 12, 2007
It's a bit formulaic but the performances of the lead actors (Hounsou and DiCaprio) are great enough to make this film worthy.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 6, 2007
Leo plays Danny, a diamond smuggler who meets Solomon who has hidden the rarest diamond. Great accent and best performance to date from Leo. My fave scenes are dancing at the night bar and the last phone call. Great cast.
garyX
garyX

March 17, 2007
A fisherman caught up in the civil war of Sierra Leone reluctanctly teams up with an amoral smuggler to retrieve a precious stone in the hope that it will secure freedom for his family. Edward Zwick has made a career of making worthy adventure-with-a-message movies which have tended to be a cut above the usual Hollwood action blockbuster fodder, and Blood Diamond is very much in this tradition. Rather than a deeply insightful analysis of the political situation, it is more of a straight action adventure that uses the conflict as a colourful backdrop to the story. Not that it doesn't have any points to make; it highlights the cynical complicity of the West in the conflict diamond trade, and the "politics" of the warring factions whose ideologies extend no further than greedy and corrupt self interest. Zwick's penchant for dewy eyed sentimentality does rear its head towards the end of the film, but no more so than most other films of its type; personally my favourite moment was when Hounsou wordlessly eyed the absurdly ostentatious bauble that has been the cause of all his woes, destined for the necks of the idle rich in a jewelry store window. If you want film-making with conscience that's more by the way of rousing adventure than emotionally harrowing, this is a fine choice.
Sophie B

March 19, 2007
Very good story which despite a few bumps had me interested all the way through. It was slightly too long but the performances were good enough to watch it.
Eric A

July 31, 2011
A movie with a huge message that needs to be watched.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 10, 2011
I believe that Edward Zwick is a severely underrated director. What he has crafted with Blood Diamond is an important film on the topic of conflict diamonds. The film is brilliantly acted by its actors, Leonardo DiDiCaprio, Jennifer Connelly and Djimon Hounsou.Blood Diamond exposes an important issue, one issue that people seem to ignore. I love how Edward Zwick was able to blend drama and action into this story. Blood Diamond is an underrated film that shouldn't be passed up. Zwick has a good eye for a good story, and he delivers it yet again with Blood Diamond. The film follows Diamond smuggler Danny Archer and Fisherman Solomon Vandy as they search for a diamond thats very rare and highly valuable. In The Process, Danny and Solomon try to rescue Solomons son Dia from RUF forces. Blood Diamond is an incredible film that deserves more praise. Leonardo DiCaprio delivers one of his strongest performances here and theres plenty of action and drama to keep the film going. Edward Zwick has always been able to tell a profound story, and Blood Diamond continues that tradition. This is a well crafted film that though fictional, is close to the truth. The questions raised in the film are important, and though entertaining, Blood Diamond is a necessary film that brings to light events that people choose to ignore.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 28, 2011
The movie was unbelievable, and what a cast
Nadira I

December 30, 2010
Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Connelly, and Djimon Hounsou plays the movie beautifully, but what makes the movie really good is their story that is (I believe) inspired by the true event. The situation in Sierra Leone might be better today, but we could probably still found the conflict like that illustrated in this movie in Africa as a whole. War over money is the hardest problem that is happening there. This action movie is really good in any way: looking at the special effects and the moral side. A must watch, especially those who are interested in international relations.
Albert K

September 18, 2010
hits up on some sensitive topics... with blockbuster-explosive action which ruins the movie in my opinion. Good movie with great performances.
Richard C

July 21, 2010
A-
KJ P

June 19, 2010
Brilliant filmmaking! Edward Zwick is at his finest, and the cast could not act any better for the audience. The performance are completely believable and unforgettable. The movie holds a twist that nobody would expect, and I loved this movie from it's interesting start, to is action packed suspenseful finish!
Jeremy S

November 1, 2006
Blood Diamond, as the title sugests, is a rare violent action-packed thriller with a conscious that works on both the thrills and the tears in equal measure. Leonardo continues to prove his worth beyond Titanic with a grippingly real performance and supported by the heart wrenching Dijimon Hounsou. The romantic natural timeless beauty of a conflict diamond is contrasted with the human modern disaster that surrounds it. This contrast multiplies the contradictions of Africa between wealth and poverty, freedom and slavery, white and black, life and death and becomes the perfect metaphor for Africa a 'god forsaken' land of extreems. Summed up by the coloquial expression T.I.A, 'This is Africa'
Al S

January 31, 2007
A powerful, outstanding and extraordinary movie. A spectacular triumph. Director, Edward Zwick never fails to deliver a film with such impact with characters and story. It's heart-pounding and adrenaline-pumping. It's stunning, thrilling and breathtaking. An unmissable and unforgettable film. An explosive and exhilarating action-packed adventure. A gripping, emotionally effective and deeply moving film. Leonardo Dicaprio and Djimon Hounsou both Shine. Dicaprio is remarkable, he gives the performance of his career. As Leo gets older he gets deeper and more intense and does not seem to fail at showing us something great. Hounsou is astonishing, he's never been better. A film with a serious message that hits us with such a fierce impact. A great gem of a film. Incredible, pulse-pounding and electrifying. It's brilliant, riveting and well-crafted. Great story, great action, great drama, great performances and just a great movie all together.
Conner R

November 19, 2009
It is one of Leonardo DiCaprio's biggest leaps in acting and a landmark in his career. While I didn't actually find the story all that moving, this is a very well shot film and captures the look they were trying to achieve 100%.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
I was rather impressed with this film. DiCaprio was very good, as usual and Djimon Hounsou was also fabulous. Beautifully shot.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 4, 2007
i love this movie i cried at the end this is a powerful true movie that you cant help but enjoy, Decaprio is brilliant and does accent brilliantly really powerful entertaining movie that shouldnt be missed!
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
A good film that highlights important issues that many have forgotten or never even knew about. It?s a shame then when a contrived Hollywood varnish is coated on what could have been a five star film! Still, worth watching though!
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 2, 2009
i'm a huge fan of leo. he's a great actor, so versatile. this story is so moving, one guy trying to get back to his family. and that scene with the arms getting chopped off will stay with me forever.
Page 1 of 1942