67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

La Novia Ensangrentada (The Blood Spattered Bride) (Blood Castle) Reviews

Adam M

July 10, 2010
Was excited about this Tarantino pick. Stylish enough, good use of color and shadows; and the beginning has sympathy for the wife (Maribel Martin, beautiful and sexy with only mid-level cheek bones ) and a queasy fear about the husband, a macho aristocrat with a Bluebeard-like psychology. Around the middle, the movie's POV coldly drifts away from both newlyweds, as though whoever bleeds is not important, only that the spilled blood is fate. Finally, the movie loses sympathy with the woman's powerlessness in the marriage, treats female solidarity as some kind of mass psychosis, and with Polanski-like devil's humor, leaves us a thrill ending that is also a metaphysical explanation for perennial misogyny against woman. It's not an artistically brave conclusion; not creative or nuanced, it's the hack's way out.
Dr Blood

August 19, 2007
This is the weakest version of "Carmilla" ever filmed. It's very slow and lacks any real similarity to Sheridan Le Fanu's story (which only seems to have inspired the names of the characters).
There isn't much in the way of gore and, although there is as much nudity as you would expect in an early 70s Euro-horror, it's all quite listless and uninvolving.
Supposedly it is a very feminist film but the subtext appears to be extremely well hidden. It's all too boring for anyone to care anyway.
divinetrash
divinetrash

February 4, 2011
The pacing is so slow that any tension, suspense or intrigue you build up is quickly forgotten. There are interesting ideas and themes present throughout, but little attention is given to them and mostly it's just a confusing movie.
Grifty G

June 21, 2009
I only knew this film by name only. I guess I always thought it was a revenge exploitation flick, like I spit on Your Grave meets Kill Bill. It turns out to be a ghost story/mystery/vampire film which plods along so slow that after about an hour I went from watching the film to watching it over my shoulder while surfing the net, Renke style. In the end, just not as exploitationy as I was wanting.
January 7, 2012
This one is very dreamy and surreal, which kind of shoots it to the top of my favorite Euro-sleaze titles, as the Gothic mood and gorgeous visuals make for a great viewing experience for yours truly.

If you're a fan of Jean Rollin, this might be a film for you.

Worth a rental.
Umelbumel
December 12, 2011
Strange, unique and beautiful horror movie.
3,5/5