Blue in the Face Reviews

blkbomb
½ March 29, 2014
Bob: Coffee and cigarettes. That's like the breakfast of champions.

"Welcome to the planet Brooklyn."

Blue in the Face is a fun enough movie especially if you like the style of Smoke. This isn't really much like Smoke though, when it comes to story. There's really no story here. There's a lot of individual improvised scenes and interviews telling random facts about Brooklyn. It's a very loose film, that has  a sort of documentary feel to it at times and a standard feature film feel to it at other times. The cast is huge in this film, with Harvey Keitel being the only big name that was left over from smoke. Michael J. Fox, Jim Jarmusch, Lou Reed, Roseanne,and Madonna all make appearances throughout.

In the end, Blue in the Face is pretty much just Wayne Wang pulling scraps from Smoke, but it has it's appeal. I like the conversations, which all have the improve feel to them. This isn't a movie that really needs to be seen, but it's one that is a good amount of fun for fans of Smoke. If you didn't like Smoke though, there's absolutely no reason to waste your time with this film.
September 7, 2009
Considering its made from outtakes and unused script from the first film, this 'sequel' stands up very well on its own. Its far more philosophical and irrelevant than the first, and is equally laid back, its only diminishing feature are the constant and unnecessary cameos, although half of them are rather good. Definitely worth checking out after watching Smoke.
April 8, 2008
Unjustly criticized film made from outtakes from the superior Smoke. I think too many critics compared it to that film rather than on it's own merits, but I absolutely loved the slice of life feeling of this film. Really good stuff.
March 22, 2008
Parts are fun, but unscripted actors can only take things so far.
½ November 17, 2007
The humor in the movie was mostly subtle which worked really well. I honestly just bought the movie because Madonna makes a 2-minute appearance, but I actually liked it a lot!
½ July 4, 2006
This is a long lost gem that I have never found until I got Netflicks. I enjoyed the performances of Harvey Keitel, Mira Sirvano, Rosanne, and Madonna.
June 4, 2013
While I enjoyed this way more than Wayne Wang's Smoke, the parts do not equal the whole. Michael J Fox was good but overall the movie was lacking.
May 1, 2006
its good movie, the best part i like was at the start of the movie, some kid robs a woman,s bag {Mira Sorvino, loved her in Romy & Mrchelle's H.S. Reunion} Auggie catches the kid and asks if she wants to press charges, she sahs "no, he'll be good" then Auggie takes her purse fromher and hands it to the kid and tells him to run! haa haaa!
½ May 4, 2014
The other must-see for fans of Smoke. Double bonus: Ms. Tomlin's character, Jim Jarmusch in the flesh.
½ January 11, 2012
A great Brooklyn movie. This one brought back a lot of memories of my childhood in the 90's, as well as the sense of community of working at a local Brooklyn video store in my teenage years. The only problem is it's pretty uneven. Some of the vignettes work exceptionally well, others are really annoying. In particular, Mel Gorham is absolutely grating as Violet. But don't let that steer you away. Stick this one out until the end. The final scene is absolutely beautiful.
½ November 8, 2010
It's a hilarious, all-star, human film. Harvey Keitel is excellent in the leading role, while the supporting cast is also notable (particularly Madonna, in her most memorable role). Nostalgic, sweet, funny, "Blue In The Face" is simply great.