The Blue Max Reviews

September 11, 2010
This classic film portrays Peppard as a German foot soldier who finds his way into the German airforce where he interacts with upper class officers. He is determined to prove he is as good as any of them, no, better than them, by earning the coveted medal, The Blue Max.
½ June 6, 2010
One of the strongest obscure Hollywood classics out there. Unique in the fact the storyline is told from the point of view of the Germans during WWI. Interesting in that George Peppard plays his lead role brilliantly. Almost too good a movie for it's time, worth a viewing if you're a history buff or just like old-school filmmaking.
February 24, 2009
George Peppard was a bit ridiculous as a German officer, but he played a good antihero. Overall the acting was very good, the war scenes excellent, and the air cinematography superb.
February 16, 2009
Truly fantastic film, and such an unusual one: a Hollywood produced drama entirely about German pilots during WWI. It's essentially a story about ambition, jealousy, rivalry and arrogance, set in the skies of Europe in the golden age of dogfighting and aerial adventure, and with a love triangle featuring a sultry Ursula Andress thrown in for good measure! Do not pass up the opportunity to see this film. One important point: must-see in widescreen DVD due to its magnificent photography.
½ November 21, 2008
SUMMARY: this is about a german solider that stops at literally nothing to recieve a Bllue Max, a high honored metal recieved after u kill 20 people. This is his story through all the circumstances he goes through gettin the Blue Max.

POSITIVES: this has one of the best plots ive seen in a while. Its a really really good storyline and the acting was absolutely great.

IMPROVEMENTS: super fake for a movie from the '60s.

OVERALL: this is a really good movie, but its super fake.
July 11, 2007
The most underrated War flick I've ever seen, probably. Great aerial dogfights with bi-planes, some amazingly epic shots that put you right in the war, and some pretty good characterization. Don't bother with Flyboys - Blue Max is where it's at. 8)
½ February 13, 2015
Awesome world war 1 movie. Really enjoyed it.
December 25, 2013
World War I flight combat movies are fairly rare which poses a bit of a problem for us since my son is all into aviation and his favorite period is World War I. This year my wife stumbled onto this movie while looking for Christmas presents.

I have watched this movie a long time ago but I did not remember much about it except that I did not like the ending. Well I am older now and can appreciate more aspects of a movie than I could then but I have to say that I still find the ending somewhat depressing. Actually, the hole movie is rather depressing I would say.

Having said that, as a movie it is a very well done piece of cinematic art. The story, as depressing as it might be, holds together. The acting is good. The flight scenes are very good even by today's standards. Actually if you consider that the movie was done almost 50 years ago they are quite fantastic.

It is a shame that the story is so depressing. It is still a must watch movie if you are into war and historical flight movies though.
½ November 4, 2013
Monday, November 4, 2013

(1966) The Blue Max
WAR

Based on a novel written by Jack Hunter "The Blue Max" as it's called is a little medal that is given to German fighter pilots who have managed to stay alive long enough to shoot down as many as 20 planes or more all together during their duration. Takes place during the first World War, focusing on Lieutenant Bruno Stachel played by George Peppard for it's his first time becoming a fighter pilot. And he makes it his obsession to achieve this goal of obtaining this medal, even if meant disobeying orders and lying about it.

Because the movie is more than 2 hours long, it felt just a little too long even though it does use a cast of hundreds and sometimes thousands of extras, it's still uninteresting since actor Peppard does not make a convincing German fighter pilot at all for he may have got the role as a result of doing "Breakfast At Tiffany's" after studio executives couldn't get anyone else. James Mason also stars as General Count von Klugermann odes have a knack for playing German characters since he's done this before on such movies as "The Desert Fox" as well as it's sequel.

2 out of 4 stars
½ March 16, 2013
They don't make movies like this anymore. If you love aircraft, a love story, betrayal, good script, great actors and well filmed at a time when they made classics, then you don't want to miss this...one of the great movies of all time.
March 19, 2013
Stays remarkably fresh today, with much more modern paced story telling than earlier WW1 films like "Hells Angels" and some great stunt work, all very much real. The acting is good too, even if the cocky characters may not be to everybody's taste. The movie still does what it's supposed to do.
½ December 24, 2012
Still the best World War 1 fighter pilots movie ever made. Doesn't seem to be very dated yet either, which can happen alot to these earlier films.
March 2, 2012
This was a great film of a foot soilder who eventually becomes a pilot and one of the best there is this movie has a great plot and has pretty decent action scenes and can get pretty suspensful at times overall this was a great movie and i also like how it was shown from the Germans side which is not too common in movies
August 23, 2011
As I taxi my aircraft onto the runway, its engine throbbing with delight, I glance at my instructor and he smiles then gives me a thumbs up pointing to the cyan sky and shouts "solo with the birds!".

I pushed my throttle forward and my aluminum wings accelerate down the runway. My wheels leaped from the asphalt and my nose points towards the cotton balled cumulus clouds. The engine and propeller pull me from the soft green earth and that's when I hear over the wind noise the prelude music to the Blue Max by Jerry Goldsmith. Chills go down my spine as the Blue Max theme plays in my head. As I execute a climbing turn to dance among the clouds, my aircraft becomes a Fokker DR VII and I become Lieutenant von Fichthorn of Jasta 11.

I saw the Blue Max with my father. I was eight at the time and that film made me want to be a pilot. Twelve years later Im the top of my flight class as pilot in command and have flown for thirty. The Blue Max is a beautiful film reflection of a time when wood and canvas took to the skies and change the rules of war. Perfect casting and solid story line makes this film an icon in the history of film. Putting together a film with this many antique airplanes could never be perfect, but it comes so close to perfection. No pregnant computer generated dog fights in this film.

When I slide the Blue Max CD soundtrack in my cars stereo system, the Blue Max prelude still sends chills down my spine and I start to scan for English SE-5's on my six. The Blue Max is a must see.
May 12, 2011
George Peppard, now 39 years old, (of Breakfast at Tiffeny's) does a great job as a rookie pilot striving for Germany's coveted Blue Cross, among "other" things. His German superior, Karl Michael Vogler, played Rommel in the great WWII flick "Patton". James Mason plays the German superior to Vogler.

The Blue Max is perhaps an overly long and emotionless, 2 hour plus 1966 American film about an ambitious German fighter pilot on the Western Front during World War I. But its also about a dangerous romance between an airman and a fellow flyer's wife. Ursela Andreus is the playful wife. The action takes place BEFORE the entry of America into the conflict but later involves her entry.

RT writes: "The Blue Max is highly unusual among Hollywood films, not just for being a large-scale drama set during the generally overlooked World War I, but in concentrating on air combat as seen entirely from the German point of view."

I have to agree. This is a well done WWI flick, not too many of those in great Panavision color. Some of his German co-stars are British speaking, but I guess that doesn't matter too much. After all, Peppard is an American with no attempt at a fake German accent, much to the credit of the movie.

Very well done, acted and photographed, I found this one realistic. A number of combat flying scenes, the pecurliar thing that marks this one is the film as scene entirely from the German perspective. There is a code of honor that is pointed out by Peppard's superior and apparently that is to not kill defenseless men. The code was a relic of chivalry where air combatants appeciated each other, even in combat.

But that relic of war history is dismissed by James Mason as a thing of the past. This is the modern era he proclaims. Well, it was refreshing to see officers willing to stand for more than machine like efficiency. Includes biplanes and tri-planes in vintage condition. The future of the war includes a mono-winged plane as well.

Just a very good, color film about ambition, standards and aerial history. The cinematography and acting by all is really first rate. Whether from the German perspective or otherwise, it really doesn't matter to the quality of this movie.

My only real critcism is the length, 2 and half hours long.
It may be considered "boring" to some. I found it slow, but in the end (and really DO wait for the end), the best WWI film I ever saw made in color. Can be watched more than once too. Still, that passion filled story was a bit absent.

Cast

Language English
Budget $6,000,000
Gross revenue $16,151,612

NOTES about the film:

1 Peppard wanted to create an "authentic" performance and learned to fly, earned a private pilot's license and did some of his own flying in the film, although stunt pilot Derek Pigott was at the controls for the under-the-bridge scene.

2 The casting of George Peppard in the mainly international ensemble cast was considered a "safe" choice, as he was establishing a reputation for leading roles in action films. Although youthful looking, at 39 years of age, he was much older than the Stachel depicted in the novel.

3 Although the flying scenes were considered the film's redemption, aviation observers cringed at Peppard's wooden, hackneyed characterization of a combat pilot.

4 Music and now famous composer Jerry Goldsmith was introduced to the project with scenes incorporating a "temp track" from Richard Strauss's Also sprach Zarathustra. Goldsmith said of this experience "I admit it worked fairly well but my first reaction was to get up and walk away from the job. Once you've heard music like that with the picture, it makes your own scoring more difficult to arrive at."

5 The majority of the aircraft used in the film were converted Tiger Moths and Stampe SV.4s. Two Pfalz D.IIIs were produced (by two separate companies) for the film, along with three Fokker D.VIIs and two Fokker Dr.I triplanes. Other German machines were represented by repainted Tiger Moths and Stampes. The British aircraft were similarly mocked-up trainers.

Running time 156 min.
May 22, 2010
Excellant Movie about ww1 and from the German point of view, great flying scenes...when I see the Triplanes and SE5A's dogfighting I get a chill like someone is watusi'ing on my grave...ignore that piece of crap Flyboys and the new Red Baron...both get it all wrong...
½ February 6, 2010
Blue Max is a refreshing movie to watch. This movie might have some historical inaccuracies but still fun to watch. The cast is excellent especially George Peppard and James Mason. The script is great and it kept me interested. John Guillermin did a good job directing this movie. I recommend this movie if you like war films.