Blue State Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ May 17, 2012
I didn't expect much with this film, I thought it was going to be a bad film, however I was pleasantly surprised. I thought that this film was a different, refreshing take on romantic comedies. The cast here do a fine job, and it's what makes this film so special, and better than most. I felt that the film had a great story, and there were more good things going for this film, than bad. The cast are perfect in their roles, and the story itself is well done. I was surprised that this film really was better than what I'd think it is. I very much enjoyed the film, and thought it was a terrific romantic comedy, much different than every other film that came before it or after it. Blue State is a good film, and it has terrific directing. The film is a must see for people looking for a different type of rom-com. Blue State is a fine little film that if you come across, you should check it out. I found something refreshing here, something that doesn't follow the trend of so many other films in this genre. If you want something different, then give this one a viewing. I felt it was a very good film, one that elevated the rom-coms standards a bit more. I felt that this was one of the better films in the genre. The cast and directing make this one work well, and Blue State may surprise you, especially if you're not one to indulge in romantic comedies.
½ September 25, 2009
A little too much politics, but the love story was cute. : ) It was an alright movie.
Harlequin68
½ December 11, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]In "Blue State," Democratic Party activist and blogger John Logue(Breckin Meyer) not only has to suffer through John Kerry losing the 2004 election, but also being unceremoniously dumped and finding out his job as a graphic designer is not there when he gets back from sabbatical. Even worse, is his drunken promise that if Kerry did lose, he would move to Canada, made to a television news crew, no less. Luckily, Gloria(Adriana O'Neil) saw that and invites him up to Winnipeg where she runs a website that encourages marriages between Canadians and American expatriates, so the Americans can get their citizenship. Disgusted at his country and with nothing else on his plate, John packs up everything he owns, advertising for somebody to share the drive which nets him Chloe(Anna Paquin). Along the way, John has one stop planned, to see his parents(Joyce Krenz & Richard Blackburn).[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]"Blue State" is an unoriginal, predictable and broad road movie with an unappealing lead character, a fanatic(The problem with democracy is that people are always upset when the electorate does not do exactly what is expected of them) who is pretty much motivated by sex in his going to Canada and his choice of companion. Instead of intelligent conversation(especially in the general give and take between two people have just met), there is just shouting down between between two sets of people of opposite viewpoints totally convinced they are each right. Not faring any better are the Canadian characters in the film but at least the Naked News is referenced. While I have no problem with anyone relocating to another country, why leave San Francisco, one of the most liberal cities with an NHL franchise less than an hour away. And how can you bring up Winnipeg without mentioning Guy Maddin? [/font]
iLeo
½ April 2, 2008
Hilarious movie! Breckin Meyer definitely surprises with this one. The story plot details around the 2004 Election, and one man's bet goes awry. Very bad, so he decides to honor his end of the bet and moves to Canada. Great comedic moments, and very intriguing story plot. Anna Paquin co-stars. Worth-seeing!
June 23, 2008
Not such a bad movie. It could have been better, but it had its fair share of moments. Definitely not a movie for Bush supporters, obviously. It got some laughs out of me though, plus Anna Paquin's still one of my favorites.
½ April 19, 2015
just fair-kind of dorky.nothing to rave about.couple of funny parts,but overall it was blah and goofy.
November 27, 2009
This could be my life if sara palin won the election a must see for democrats who wish they fled the bush years
June 25, 2013
Since I didn't turn it off and watched it in its entirety, I'll take that as being a good sign. BLUE STATE was a little film that ended up being moderately entertaining. This was a unique story that flowed pretty well and ended with a satisfying conclusion. There's not much more to it than that. This film wasn't overly complex, interesting or compelling. But overall, it was a bit of harmless fun that came as quick as it left. I must warn you that if you're not into political movies or are right wing, this may not be the film for you. A very generous -- 6/10.
January 1, 2013
It seemed like a typical road trip romance film from its synopsis but the plot actually offered some surprises I did not expect. Blue State is definitely worth a watch if it fits into your type of movie.
February 15, 2011
I didn't expect much. This movie has excellent acting and in an unpretentious way does manage to be funny and speak to us depressed American Liberals about not giving up and running away.
November 24, 2010
It had potential but just did not perform to what it was capable of
½ November 20, 2009
Plot

John Logue is determined to get John Kerry elected president. He takes a leave of absence from his job to help with the campaign. He is so convinced that Kerry will win the election that when he is drunk one night, he makes a promise to move to Canada if George Bush is elected for a second term as president. Bush ends up winning the election and John Logue decides to move to Canada. He looks for someone else to join him on his trip and finds Chloe. The movie follows their journey to Canada.

Review (SPOILER MAY BE PRESENT)

I hated this movie. It was boring and had so many scenes that seemed like they were added just to add length to the film and develop the characters. Now I know that developing the characters is necessary, but some of these scenes didn?t even make sense because it doesn?t seem like something the character would do. The perfect example of this was John stopping by his parent?s house on the way to Canada. He knew they were going to get in a fight and even warned Chloe before they got there, so why did he even go? Then again, I wasn?t really sure why John even wanted someone else to go with him. Why does he need someone else to move and even better why would he take someone that didn?t meet any of the standards he wanted for the trip? Well?.he had to bring her because otherwise the movie couldn?t be a terrible romantic comedy.

Blue State is predictable, but tries to throw in some twists. You should know as soon as he chooses Chloe to go with him that there will be some kind of romance that will develop in this movie. However, who would have guessed that she was in the army? I sure as hell wouldn?t have with the purple/blue hair and nose ring. I originally thought this was a good idea because it adds a struggle for the characters to overcome because she can?t just leave the country because she is supposed to ship off to Iraq for the second time. How do they solve this problem though? They just don?t check her passport when they cross the border. LAME!!!

My biggest problem with this movie was the ending. The movie ends with a John picking up Chloe as she is released from prison. The last shot is of a sticker on John?s car stating that he is running for the senate. This just seems really unbelievable to me. We all suffer through a president we don?t like, whether you are republican or democrat, but leaving the country seems like an overreaction. I would hope no one was stupid enough to elect someone who was willing to run away from his country over something so stupid. Maybe that?s just my opinion though?..

Final Words

I thought Blue State was going to just preach about how bad of a president Bush was. The movie does take its stabs at
Bush, but overall the movie is just another romantic comedy. If it was meant to be a political message, I think it failed horribly, but more importantly it failed at being a good movie.
½ October 14, 2009
Missed it in general release. Just saw it on mgm cable, with no commercials. Alright, I confess, I just watched most of it for the second time. It's not like I don't have better things to do. And it's certainly not a great movie. Though it has its charms. Chief of which is the very talented Ms. Pacquin. Though I'd seen her in other films, I hadn't seen anything of hers recently. Don't really know that many woman soldiers, but she struck me that she could be one. In a very real way. And real is what makes her performance compelling. For me she made a small, slightly quirky indie type movie much more than it would have been otherwise. Beyond her performance, I don't know why I liked this movie so much. But I definitely did. Perhaps it's because after the '04 election I went through my own consideration of moving to Canada. Not to make a statement. But just to move to good place that appears to be a little further along on the civilization index. I can see how Canadians would not find this movie very appealing. It put them in a not so favorable light--and mostly unfairly so. I've never been to Winipegg, but Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal are world class cities. Although neither of the main characters gave Canada a real shot, going back to the US made sense for both of them: she because she was an apolitical person who just didn't want to go back to a stupid war, but who basically liked the US; he because he realized that the constructive response to a lost election is to pick oneself up and get back in the game. Overall nice light touch, with good characters.
April 7, 2009
Actually better than looks. I was expected some dumb road comedy, but it isn't.
Harlequin68
½ December 11, 2008

½ April 3, 2008
A feel-good movie about nationalism.
February 3, 2008
Anna Paquin and Breckin Meyer are very good. Intelligently written and interesting throughout. It does have a few slow stretches but overall it is quite watchable.