Bogus

November 9, 2006
HA HA HA!!! Loved it.
Sarah P

June 6, 2010
It was a cute movie. Probably not something I'd watch over and over, but I liked it!
constanzaboutter
constanzaboutter

September 20, 2009
Sentimental and whimsical modern metaphor but simple tale, heartfelt and sincere. Precious and fragile script with master craftsmanship sheen and rhythm, stunningly shot particularly in its fantastical circus illusions. Force of nature performance by Gerard Depardieu, operating brilliantly on an emotional level.
February 11, 2008
I finally got around to this one! I always like Depardieu. Haley Joel Osment was amazing as usual! (and so young in this one!) Nice movie.
StaisilD
July 15, 2007
I thought it was original and its casual self. It didn't need to be changed in any way. It was funny, bright, happy, and a crowd-pleaser. It can make anyone smile and there was never a chance I would say this movie is bad. It has imagination, reality, and everything mixed in. The ingredients are good and well done the actors were really good and had a sense-of-humnor. You can tell nobody forced them to be like that and you can actually see they are their own self. Oscar winner Whoopi Goldberg (Ghost) does a good preformance and Haley Joel Osment, future Oscar nominee (The Sixth Sense) was also really good. And whoever played Bogus, Gerand .... was also really good and I find him funny and would like to know more about him cause he's got talent and I bet he knows it! I like this movie and this is actually a very fresh and funny film for family movie night and it's a very good selection.
ramzamer
July 25, 2007
It's a very good movie. I remember seeing it when I was little, and it was very, very good! I love watching it!
Samantha801
May 25, 2007
This is really a cute movie of love and saddness. This cute little boy who losses his mother and then finds love in an imaginary friend.
January 28, 2007
THIS IS THE MOVIE THAT MADE ME FALL IN LOVE WITH HALEY JOEL OSMENT! I LOVE IT! LUMP IN MY THROAT EVERY TIME!
YourWorstNightmare07
December 21, 2006
Oh cmon! This movie is simply one great film. 3 unlikely characters, making...magic? on the screen! You add Depardieu and Goldberg and there are bound to be laughs.
December 6, 2009
Way to long and completely uninteresting
April 27, 2014
Albert Franklin (Haley Joel Osment) is the son of stage magician Lorraine Franklin, and has learned to do a few magic tricks of his own. However, when his mother dies and he is sent to live with his aunt Harriet (Whoopi Goldberg), it becomes clear that for him the boundary between stage magic and the real kind is just a bit fuzzy. This movie was strange but for some reason this movie was not terrible as I thought it will be.
August 26, 2012
watched because i was curious what whoopi could do in terms of acting. There was maybe 1-2 good lines and the rest was just a pain to sit through. Don't watch.
August 2, 2012
Don't be fooled by the title, Bogus is the real thing: a magical, enchanting tale about our need for love- both real or imagined. It's a rare treat for those who value the power of imagination.
Harriet Franklin- a humorless woman struggling to keep a hotel/restaurant supply company afloat in New Jersey- finds her life even more stressful when she learns that she has been named guardian to the young son of her recently deceased foster sister.
A woman "without a motherly bone in her body", Harriet reluctantly accepts the responsibility, but try as she might, is operating without any guidelines. It doesn't help that she hardly speaks the same language as her young charge, Albert.
His is a nine-year old's world of magicians, lounge entertainers and chorus girls. Raised backstage of Las Vegas' showrooms, Albert has little understanding or affection for the streets of Newark.
Bitter over his mother's death, disappointed by his inability to stay with his extended stage family, and alienated in his new surroundings, Albert seeks comfort in the companionship of his new found friend Bogus- a six foot plus, mop-topped, Frenchman who is invisible to all but the boy.
After an economical set-up, the story settles into a prolonged cycle of hit-and -miss attempts by both sides of this new "family" to reach a common ground. Albert compares all of Harriet's efforts against those of his devoted mother. At times, he deliberately goes out of his way to be defiant.
On the other side, Harriet struggles to sacrifice of herself, determined to spend her extra time expanding her business interests. More importantly, it soon becomes crystal clear that Harriet is severely uncomfortable with the concept of childhood- both Alberts', as well as her own abandoned past.
Events finally climax when Albert runs off to rejoin old acquaintances with disappointing results.
Whoopi Goldberg is solid as the serious-minded Harriet. With a mixture of concern and confusion (fueled by the desire to do the right thing), Harriets' is a challenging role. Despite her cynical comments and comedic grumblings, hers is a sympathetic character to anyone who has ever found themselves in uncharted parenting territory.
Asked to alternate between adorable and infuriating, carefree and desperate, Haley Joel Osment proves himself a talented young actor. His Albert is appropriately natural and precocious, save for a few directorial choices which come off as overly dramatic.
Less challenging, but more rewarding is the title role, perfectly filled by Gerard Depardieu- who has always seemed characteristic of an oversized teddy bear. Playful, yet wise, this perfect child's companion is compared within the story to the mythical white rabbit Harvey. Like the invisible pooka, Bogus is both advisor, confidant and sounding board; and every bit as real as the child within each of us will allow him to be.
It's a tribute to the writers and the filmmakers that Bogus made it to the screen at all. Having become a cultural buzz word, the "inner child" is often the tool of choice for satirical criticism. It's a wonder that the sensitivities of the script held any appeal to today's corporate Hollywood.
Fortunately, it did, and director Norman Jewison has constructed many moving scenes throughout in testimony to its strengths.
Despite the PG rating, Bogus is more geared toward an adult audience, with plotting too slow and uneventful for most young children. Not surprisingly, we had to clear the summer staple of shoot-em-up action pictures to find a gentler film of this type.
September 16, 2011
the whole plot about friendship, that's what i like so much about it when i was a child
Matthew J.
April 16, 2011
A harmless little comedy flick which is entertaining while it lasts.
jazza923
April 8, 2005
THE CAST IS VERY GOOD. I'LL WATCH ANYTHING WITH WHOOPI GOLDBERG IN IT. GERARD DEPARDIEU IS GOOD AND HALEY JOEL OSMENT, IN A VERY EARLY ROLE IS EXCEPTIONAL. THE STORY HOWEVER TENDS TO DRAG. THE IMAGINARY FRIEND IDEA IS HARD TO SUSTAIN FOR NEARLY TWO HOURS.