Bolivia

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Bolivia Reviews

April 22, 2014
Buena, pero deprimente. Lo único que no me gustó es que fue filmada en negro y blanco/Good but depressing. The only thing I did not like is that it was filmed in black and white
March 28, 2013
I watched it last night. It gives the veiwer something to think about. Mostly "what would I do if I was being forced to move out of my homeland and work as an illegall elsewhere where I don't matter to anyone (as it turns out).The main character is a refugee of the failed US drug war, mentioning he was previously in agriculture "picking fruit and the coca leaf" until the "Yankees" decided to "burn" the plants and now nothing grows and nobody has work. Does anyone remember Paraquat? Thats what he is referring to. It just shows you what Real effect elite politicians don't do a lot of analysis into how their policies affect other countries and the people in them. If anyone should have been angry and resentful in this movie it should have been him. Watch it for yourself and see what I mean.
June 28, 2012
"Bolivia" is a small film, but it holds our attention because of what director Adrian Caetano has done with the story about human beings that roam the globe in search of a meager salary, for them and their families, only to get the scorn from the people that benefit from their labor.
March 7, 2012
Verite exploration of racism and immigration in Buenos Aires during their economic crises in the early oughts. The film is working class down to its very form and scope. Beautifully simple and resonating with truthful performances, it manages to be charged and quiet all at the same time. And while it might break its tone with a few flourishes and reach for more of a plot than it really needs in its third act, it survives intact as a morally and aesthetically ambitious act of art.
dfwforeignbuff
April 21, 2010
Bolivia (2001) This is the first feature-length film from director Israel Adrian Caetano.
It was an Argentinean & Dutch Production. Filmed in black & white & on a low budget the film was shot 3 days a week over a period of three years. Kind of a neo-realism slice of life film the mostly plot-free film is confined to a café-bar in the lower-middle class Buenos Aires suburb of Villa Crespo, with few trips outside. It tells the story of Freddy (Freddy Flores), a Bolivian with a gentle disposition, who, after Americans burn down the coca fields where he is employed, loses his job. With little work opportunities in Bolivia, he leaves his wife & three daughters & travels to Argentina to search for employment as an undocumented worker. He hopes to make money & later return to his family. He lands a job as a grill cook in a seedy Villa Crespo café where the owner (Enrique Liporace) is happy to skirt Argentinean immigrant laws in order to secure cheap labor. It is in this café that Freddy meets the characters who affect his life: Rosa (Rosa Sanchez), a waitress of Paraguayan/Argentine descent, & an outsider by virtue of her mixed heritage; Hector (Hector Anglada), a traveling salesman from the province of Córdoba who's gay; a Porteno taxi driver (Oscar Bertea), & one of the driver's buddies. Freddy also has to deal with various Argentine café patrons who view all Paraguayans & Bolivians with disdain due to their ethnicity. The film gives us a realistic portrayal of racism immigrant labor & prejudices in Argentina. Cateano used professional & non professional actors. Freddy Flores was a local non professional. Other reviewers state this film is for art film students only. I disagree. All interested in foreign film & film in South America & Argentina will like this film. It very realistic & I enjoyed it. This short 75 minute film about poverty, intolerance, violence, & despair in contemporary Argentina is powerful & I recommend it. This is a universal story. 3 stars.