Bonneville - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bonneville Reviews

½ February 25, 2008
This is more a movie aimed at older women (no comments that I am not that far off. haha), but I didn't mind it. It follows Arvilla, (Jessica Lange), who has recently lost her husband. I thought it dealt very well with her grief and it felt very real and sad. She ends up in a situation where she discovers her husband did not update his will and his old one specifies that his daughter, Francine, from a previous marriage, gets the house. Christine Baranski is horrible as Francine. I mean that in a good way, it is a horrible character - Christine does a great job with it! One of the things that made me laugh was the awful shriek ringtone Arvilla had set on her mobile for when she calls.
Francine decides that Arvilla can keep the house, as long as she returns the ashes to her to be buried with his first wife. Arvilla is in turmoil as she knows this is not what her late husband wanted. She and her two girlfriends take a road trip to revisit some old memories and drop the ashes off to the Francine (or does she....).
It is fairly slight on plot once the roadtrip stuff starts, but it is a nice female buddy movie. I think it has been compared to Thelma and Louise a few times, and I could certainly see that. I dare say T & L is the better of the two, but this is nicely acted and rings true.
LWOODS04
November 4, 2009
Cast: Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, Joan Allen, Tom Skerritt, Christine Baranski, Victor Rasuk, Tom Amandes, Tom Wopat, Robert Conder, Jayson Creek, Arabella Field, Kristen Marie Hullinger, Ivey Lloyd, Bruce Newbold, Steve O'Neill, Laura Park, Jodi Russell

Director: Christopher N. Rowley

Summary: This road trip yarn, follows three friends on a journey across the West after one of them is widowed. Along the way, they learn a thing or two about themselves, one another and life.

My Thoughts: " This film has three very talented leading ladies in it, Kathy Bates being my favorite. Arvilla is the adventurous one, Carol is the goody two-shoes, and Margene is the free spirited one. Together they all make for a good watch. The acting is strong and the story is as well. But there is no action no great adventure. BUT, I still enjoyed it. I felt like I was peeking in on the friendship of three best friends and enjoying the trip with them. Christine Baranski plays the daughter to the deceased and is a very unlikeable character. She has no sympathy for Arvilla Holden and is quite cruel to her. But then you have to sympathize with her just a tiny bit cause she too, is also grieving. This movie is not going to be for everyone, especially those who don't really like character driven stories. But I enjoyed it and thought it was time well spent."
September 23, 2009
This movie is Thelma and Louise with less theatrics. Not as good as T & L, but fun nonetheless.
jjnxn
½ May 2, 2008
Three wonderful actresses working together is reason enough to see this road movie. The script is nothing special and at times doesn't make the most sense but the ladies make it worth seeing and the scenery along the way is beautiful.
October 4, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this one. A gal-pal road flick. Three friends set off to deliver one woman's (Lange's) dead husband's ashes to the shrewish step-daughter (Baranski). Along the way, they bond, discover what is truly important, and learn to enjoy life all over again. Yes, it was tame by Hollywod's standards, but it was interesting to watch the characters grow. So they went from spitting out coffee all the way to sipping vodka (!) and did not engage in drunken all-night orgies. The film felt real and the viewer feels priviledged to watch the interplay between these three great actresses. This film struck all the right notes and was a pleasure to watch. The story is what matters.
½ August 13, 2010
Far be it for a man to stop and ask for direction but Bonneville charted this reviewer on a familiar but sometimes welcome course, diverted away from a tourist trap called popcorn blockbusters. The movie does not aspire to reverse the effects of Global Warming or end the conflict in Darfur. Rather, in a film age brimming with expensively drawn superheroes and bullet-ridden sequels, it simply sets out to tell an original feel-good tale and does it kinda sorta well. This soul-searching road trip movie does, however, employ a lot of formula and not a lot of dramatic punch, focusing on a largely ignored demographic.

In this PG-13-rated drama, a newly widowed Idaho woman (Lange) sets off on a road trip with her friends (Bates, Joan Allen) to deliver the ashes of her deceased husband to a mean-spirited stepdaughter (Christine Baranski).

It begins amidst death, yes. But debut writer/director Christopher N. Rowley quickly (and smartly) whisks moviegoers away from this maudlin fog and sets the wheels a-turning early on. Humor proves to be the best medicine and the script injects the action with just enough to douse the funereal setting. The story ultimately conveys that honoring life is, perhaps, more important than honoring death. But the age of the characters makes this lesson timelier. Though far from ?old,? the mature casting rejects any notion that road tripping is only for the young. All involved drive home the point that the search for oneself is a lifelong quest. Unfortunately, the standard material sometimes makes this viewing experience FEEL like a lifelong quest.

Bottom line: A road to nowhere special.
½ February 25, 2008
Loved it!
March 5, 2008
Thelma & Louise + The Bucket List + P.S. I Love You + Mormon sensibilities = a movie your grandmother should find positively raucous.
½ June 20, 2010
It was cute, but not great. Good cast, but it wasn't really anything special.
June 26, 2009
I enjoyed this movies very much. One needs to do what ever it takes when one dies and a promise is made. what a great trip plus love in the air. funny also.
½ March 17, 2009
Didn't care much for this one. Too many whiny, annoying characters. Particularly the characters played by Joan Allen and Christine Baranski really got on my nerves. What a shame.
½ August 11, 2008
For a chick flick this was actually a pretty fun watch. I especially loved the Mormon humor, and the choice of actresses was pretty good too. Overall a fun movie, and it makes you think. :P
July 27, 2008
Definitely not a film for the young crowd, but a good one for those who've experienced loss, especially that of a life mate and who are in the process of figuring out who they are without their loved one. It was a nice change to see a "road trip" movie featuring seasoned and mature characters and not the usual sophomoric cast of nubile young things and the randy bucks pursuing them.
½ June 21, 2008
Now if the story were half as strong as the three leading ladies. Kathy Bates, Jessica Lange and Joan Allen carry the movie. But unfortunately the story is rather simple and cliched
July 10, 2008
It's refreshing to find a good, clean movie these days. It's a movie about making promises and whether you're going to keep or break them. It's also a movie about letting go. Also, there's nothing like the friendship that is portrayed between these three women. It's a great movie!
July 6, 2008
Great cast, but not much is done with it with the story. This type of film has been done a millions before and better.
½ June 25, 2008
:fresh: :fresh: :fresh: (out of four)

[color=plum]I am a sucker for a road trip movie, especially when it is as earnest and thoughtful as [b][i]Bonneville[/i][/b]. [QUOTE]The idea is far from original, but when pros like Lange, Bates, and Allen jump in their 1966 convertible and head down that all-too-familiar highway, it's a trip well worth taking.[/QUOTE] [/color]
[color=#dda0dd][/color]
[color=#dda0dd]Living in Pocatello, Idaho, Lange has just lost her husband and decides to deliver his ashes to Santa Barbara, California where his daughter from a previous marriage wants her fathers ashes to be with her mothers. Convincing her two best friends to join her on the driving trip, they dive into their adventure, meeting a long the way a young hitchhiker, a flirty truck driver, and a Vegas jackpot. No new territory here, but the classy actresses are wonderful and the beautiful Utah scenery, from the Salt Flats to Bryce Canyon is stunning.[/color]
[color=#dda0dd][/color]
[color=#dda0dd]I also like how the actresses dared to skip playing the three Mormon women as cliched stereo-types. Each is a full personality who embodies their characters to the richest. Most movies choose to portray religious people, especially Mormons as freakish, cult-like people. Here they give us a very realistic look at a group who is not as different from the mainstream as people would like to think.[/color]
½ June 18, 2008
5.5/10. The cast boosts the story very much. It's a slow moving, predictable and rather mundane story. The writing is hardly extraordinary. But again, a movie with Jessica lange, Kathy Bates and Joan Allen can't be all bad.
April 5, 2010
100405: Mediocre actors doing a story that's already been done.