The Boost Reviews

January 22, 2014
Okay, so James Woods seems coked up even before he gets on drugs, and every possible druggy cliche that you can imagine happens to our drugged up couple, lost in California and in over their heads and it all just comes off like a Reagan-era anti-drug screed rather than a plausible turn of events.

Might be worth a rental to laugh at though, I found it pretty amusing.
October 7, 2007
It's been forever since I've seen it, but what I remember about it is that it is a very hard-hitting movie with a very sad ending.
yram212001
½ May 29, 2006
what a terrible "lesson" movie on drugs. so many forced scenes and hype. dont waste your time like i did.
½ December 22, 2014
Based on a novel by Ben Stein, yes, THAT Ben Stein of Ferris Bueller fame. The book was apparently about Quaaludes addiction and abuse, but it's cocaine in the film. I have no idea how the book read, but the film is utterly ridiculous. It's supposed to be a hard hitting downward spiral into drugs by an otherwise on-the-rise yuppie couple, played by James Woods and Sean Young when they were still a real-life couple, but the film is pretty dumb and unintentionally hilarious at times. James Woods is a great actor, but Sean Young is just terrible. Like Arnold, the best acting she ever did was when she played a robot. Stick with "Requiem for a Dream" if you want a hard hitting film about addiction, but if you're in the mood for some serious camp, this may be a good choice.
August 1, 2014
not a great film but its worth watching because of James Woods performance. Love this guy. A true actor
March 10, 2014
Pretty flawed, but a damn good ride. Crashing and burning and cocaine-ing and lude-ing and yelling and striking deals/wives and losing deals and shit.
March 13, 2011
Classic drugs-will-ruin-your-life movie. It's also fun to watch James Woods all coked out.
½ February 23, 2011
Awesome story of a man who could have had it all, but decided to snort it all away.
August 16, 2010
SSSNNNOOOOOOOOOORRRRRTING COCAINE is very bad . . . Cocaine Gives you an edge over your competition but then it totally EATS YOU ALIVE.
(twenty-three years ago some guys were snorting cocaine off glass surface of the coffee table near me . . . there was NO WAY I was going to SNORT COCAINE or "shoot-up" PRIMARILY because of
THE BOOST

LESS THAN ZERO

BRIGHT LIGHTS BIG CITY

WIRED

. . . RUSH was too stupid
and SCARFACE (with Al Pacino) was too CRAZY

Coke-Movies and John Belushi's death when I was 10 years old SAVED me from SNORTING COCAINE.

You have to understand: John Belushi was as WELL-KNOWN in 1982 as President Obama is today . . .

and when John Belushi died and The Way in which John Belushi DIED really PHASED me.

Less than a year before, we were laughing at JOHN BELUSHI in NEIGHBORS and then John Belushi was dead from INJECTING cocaine AND Heroin.

It was Hard on my mind twenty-eight years ago . . .the SUDDEN transition from LIFE to DEATH simply because of COCAINE.

Roger Ebert gave the film three-and-a-half of a possible four stars in a Dec. 28, 1988 Chicago Sun-Times review, calling the film "one of the most convincing and horrifying portraits of drug addiction I've ever seen."

. . . of course THE BOOST got a 50% Percent on Rotten Tomatoes because people can't appreciate THE BOOST probably because they've never experienced the DEVASTATION drugs can cause in a person's life.

. . .I look at "These COKE-Movies" as ROAD-SIGNS indicating DANGERS that lie ahead if you SSSSSNNNNOOOOOORRRRT cocaine.
July 19, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

James Woods gives yet another fantastic performance. Dark and tough to watch at times but it is a good portrayal of drug use and its potential consequences.