—— The Identical Sep 05

saw this one too
garyX
garyX

May 31, 2007
The final installment of the Bourne franchise sees Matt Damon finally discovering who he is and who's behind this fine mess he's in. I must admit, I found this film an odd one. The usual formula of a thriller involves the story being set up for the first two thirds of the film, and the last half hour climaxes with a frenetic action set piece. In The Bourne Ultimatum, it's the other way round! The first hour and a half is more of Greengrass' wobbly cam following an earnest looking Damon as he runs through interchangeable corridors, chases down generic bad guys and speeds through traffic. There is literally no plot til the last half hour. It reminded me of The Matrix trilogy in that the second film seemed irrelevant, and the two sequels could easily have been compressed into one superior film. But as it stands, it's an entertaining enough thriller which ties up the story satisfactorily (if unsurprisingly) and at least the direction contained more drama and less seasickness than the second (the climactic car chase is actually very impressive indeed.) Still not as good as the first but it will please fans of the series.
The Gandiman
The Gandiman

July 18, 2010
One of the best action flicks I've ever seen. From the moment the movie starts until it's jolting end, you are on the ride of your life. Damon, who I would have never imagined as an Action Star, has solidified his place among one of the greats
Eugene B

August 1, 2013
It's a fantastic third installment (which is rarity in cinemas) Matt Damon is brilliant as Jason Bourne in this new edition to the Bourne saga. The Bourne Ultimatum fires on all cylinders with more thrills and more action sequences that is well directed, from Paul Greengrass, and well crafted. 4.5/5
Joe M

September 1, 2012
If you can ignore the politics it a great movie.
Drake T

August 17, 2012
Everything comes full circle in Ultimatum as we explore the origin of Jason's being.

Those well versed with spy-films will find the plot rather standard boasting muddled moralities, conspiracies and a liberal political tone. It makes most of it's "bangs" again with the franchise's trademark fast-pace action, grand chase scenes and intimate camera work.

However, it's likely the most finely tuned of the trilogy, with a great balance of emotion, drama, thrills and twists. It works tremendously well as a standalone production and even better as a franchise finale.

Scratch James Bond, give me more Jason Bourne!
Everett J

August 11, 2012
When a movie franchise turns to the third installment, usually it takes a big downfall. Take the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies for example, the first 2 are great, then number three is horrible. However, the "Bourne" movies are the complete opposite. The first and second are both fantastic and exactly on par with each other, then the third manages to somehow be the best of the three. I love this movie, it has everything you could want in a "Bourne" movie, a thriller, or an action movie. Matt Damon is perfect, as is the rest of the cast. The addition of David Strathairn as a higher up trying to kill "Bourne" and save the CIA some face is brilliant. He's an awesome actor, and does an amazing job here. Paul Greengrass returns as director, and he really is the perfect director for these movies. His style is very unique, and brings a very real quality to these films that other directors wouldn't bring. I absolutely love the scenes where Bourne is on the phone with Strathairn and Joan Allen, and the looks on their faces after he talks. Makes the movies that much better. I'm excited to see where the new movies go. I don't expect them to be better than this one, as I have a feeling the franchise peaked. But not many movies are better anyway.
Tyler R

August 9, 2012
Paul Greengrass returns to direct one of my favorite action movies of all time. The Bourne Ultimatum focuses on Jason Bourne trying to piece together the mystery of his past and he's being hunted down by the same organization that hired him. The movie is unbelievable intense. The pace is faster and the first scene of the movie just puts you directly into what's going on. There's almost no stop to whatever goes on in the movie. My main area of praise for the Bourne movies is how perfectly the action and non-action scenes are balanced out. There's more action this time around, but I'm not complaining. The car chases are exciting and the fight scenes are nothing short of awesome. My favorite fight scene of the trilogy is in this movie and it's when Bourne is fighting with Desh. You get to see the exhaustion, the frustration, the blood, the sweat, everything that makes the fight so realistic. It's also a fight scene with a lot of tension. Desh absolutely pummels Bourne in the fight and it's one of the best fight scenes since Raiders of the Lost Ark when Indiana Jones is fighting the Nazi Hulk Hogan by the german plane. This review is going to be shorter than the other two because I feel like I'm constantly repeating myself when I praise these movies. There's not a lot to say about them without being repetetive. The action is excellent, the acting's great, the intrique is well executed, the dialogue is well written, the pace is fast and The Bourne Ultimatum is my favorite Bourne movie and one of my favorite action movies ever. I will see The Bourne Legacy tomorrow and I can only hope it lives up to the rest of the trilogy.
KJ P

September 25, 2010
"Jason Bourne" concludes his journey in this thrill-a-minute ride, trying to find the answers that have even been hidden behind the answers in the previous films. We get much more in depth with Treadstone and an all new project that will reveal his birth name. Matt Damon and the rest of the cast of "The Bourne Supremacy" all return, with a nice additions to the cast. This action has been improved upon, the story is much more detailed, and the smooth intense chase sequences will have you on the edge of your seat. This part of the series has come to an end, and does it ever do it with style. "The Bourne Ultimatum" is not just the best in the series, but it is highly memorable as a brilliant stand alone action thriller.
Albert K

September 18, 2010
Compared to all the Bourne entries, Ultimatum is by far, the most exciting and tightly executed of them all. There seems to be non-stop action but it is simply because of the tight and strong editing, direction, and camerawork by Paul Greengrass. The action never seems to let go but it isn't what many imagine the "action" to be. Ultimatum is a super smart, exhilarating, and entertaining action movie that sets the bar for spy thrillers. This is a must see. One of the greatest action movies of all time.
Edward B

August 19, 2007
My personal belief is that in about ten or twenty years from now, The Bourne Trilogy will be regarded as one of the all time greatest action sagas. The intriguing setup from The Bourne Identity, the conflicting morals of The Bourne Supremacy, and now the balls to the wall climax of The Bourne Ultimatum. If I could describe this action masterpiece in one word, it would be - in all caps - EXHILARATING!! Picking up a few weeks prior to the end of The Bourne Supremacy, Jason Bourne is trying to escape Moscow. Meanwhile, in London, a journalist named Simon Ross (Paddy Considine) is publishing stories that slowly reveal Operation Blackbriar - a more lethal offshoot of Treadstone, and the CIA essentially want him dead or silenced. Once Bourne learns about Ross, he seeks him out hoping to find the missing piece of his identity: who recruited Bourne and who made him the precision killer that he is today?
Realizing just how much of a threat Bourne is to the CIA, the new agent Noah Vosen leads the chase in trying to catch him, against the persuasive influence of Pamela Landy (Joan Allen) who is in some indirect way Bourne's ally. Both of these characters create just as much excitement in the scenes behind computer screens and controlled towers tracking Bourne's whereabouts as the scenes where Bourne is fighting his assassins.
And what fight scenes they are!! The choreography is more complex, faster, and constrained to even tighter quarters than in the previous film. The camera has an even shakier, documentary styles look, resulting in jaw dropping, exhilarating (there's that word again!) car chases, hand to hand combat, gun battles, rooftop chases, and seek and destroy sequence with Bourne and Ross in a crowded mall that will have your eyes glued to the screen.
Nothing more can be said about Matt Damon other than a lame joke like "he was 'bourne' to play this role". Without Damon's likability this trilogy would not have worked half as well as it has. He has helped create one of the most fascinating and legendary on screen assassins that have graced the screen since James Bond. Simply put, The Bourne Ultimatum is the very definition of a perfect action picture. It's the most fitting end to a great trilogy, and an action film to which all espionage action films from this point on will be compared to.
Alexander D

June 16, 2011
Most recent spy thrillers should be modeling after this one.
Red L

October 5, 2008
Watching Jason Bourne is always fun. He is a one-man wrecking/killing machine with humanity. It is always fun when Jason tells Pamela she is looking a little tired.
Scott G

October 29, 2011
An explosive ending to my favorite trilogy of all time, in comparison to it's predecessor's it had nothing wrong with it, and in terms of quality, it's spot on.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 5, 2011
The Bourne Ultimatium is the best in the series, and a incredible and amazing action film. The story is by far the best and is the exciting conclusion to the trilogy. The cast is great, and dare i say that matt damon was born to play this role. The action scenes are intense and awesome and the pure highlight of these films. I love The Bourne movies and this one is by far the best.
Sophie B

September 13, 2011
Stranger and not as good as the first it's a simple case of the bigger sequel with several exotic locations. It all seemed a bit too much and over the top. Although I did like the finding out more about how Bourne came to be. However I'm still not convinced of Damon's "action man" status.
Eric A

August 5, 2011
Jason Bourne is a bad ass. Best movie in the trilogy.....easily.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

May 1, 2011
The Bourne Ultimatum is by far my favorite of the Bourne films. The film is also the best of the three and it delivers intense thrills and awesome action. Ultimatum is for me, the most thrilling and exhilarating Bourne film yet. Director Paul Greengrass has crafted a fine third entry. With the Jason Bourne, every film has improved until this third one. Every film in the franchise has been more electrifying, has pushed the envelope of action and thrills and each one has offered more pulse pounding jolts of adrenaline than the previous one. The Bourne Ultimatum is a culmination of the best elements the first two films
has offered and elevates the story to a whole new level of intrigue. In Ultimatum, Jason Bourne finally finds out the truth about himself and he gets all the answers he is looking for. The cast starring alongside Matt Damon is a well chosen bunch of actors that are incredibly talented. Notably David Strathairn, Joan Allen and Albert Finney are absolutely terrific in their roles. The Bourne Ultimatum is a sequel that truly outdoes its predecessors and it belongs on the short list of unforgettable sequels that surpassed the originals. The Bourne Ultimatum is a film that delivers everything you'd expect from a Jason Bourne film, but now the story is even more developed, even more intense this time around. An awesome, thrilling film that will hold you in suspense from the first minutes of the film to the explosive climax.
Jennifer X

July 30, 2007
Definitely, definitely the best and most exciting one.