The Brain That Wouldn't Die - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Brain That Wouldn't Die Reviews

½ January 21, 2008
Against her will, a scientist searches for a body for his decapitated fiancee. Deranged b-movie full of sleaze, mutants, cheap gore, purple prose, and general insanity. A gold mine for bad movie fans, but others may find the nonstop outrageousness makes it watchable. "Like all quantities, horror has it's ultimate; and I am that."
½ December 27, 2011
Of all the movies I've been seeing lately of this type that had any potential of being a classic, I think The Brain That Wouldn't Die probably has the most potential. If they had shifted the story around a bit instead of just playing all of the scenes in order, it could have been more interesting. For instance, if the girlfriend was already a head in a pan at the beginning of the movie, it would have given the mad scientist a stronger motivation throughout the film. Or maybe I'm just overthinking things here. Yes, it's poorly acted, constructed and just really isn't very good at all, but there's a spark of creativity here that I thought could have been made better under different circumstances and with the right people behind it. Maybe that's just me. It's also interesting to note that the cut of the movie I saw is the uncut version, which features a few extra shots of a cat fight and a couple of gore shots that were taboo at the time and subsequently cut from the movie. Overall, it's intriguing, but fails to really capture the imagination displayed on its wonderful poster.
December 12, 2010
The Brain That Wouldn't Die is a perfect example of what a B-Movie is: Boring script, slow pacing, and actors that make Tommy Wiseau look good. Now, the film is important to those that have loves for anything science fiction related, but not much else. Now, do I recommend this film? Only if you either love B-movies, sci-fi. For the rest of you, I suggest you watch the film on the show called: Elvira's Movie Macabre. It makes the film a little less painful.
September 5, 2010
I thought this was a very cool mad scientist horror movie, but then they kept playing on TV all the time, and I got annoyed with it. Anyway, the story is good, and the ending is great, but they could have better actors. Overall a good movie, it reminds you of the fifties horror movies.
October 25, 2010
Once again...
If it wasn't for Elvira's intermissions and asides, there would be no reason for sitting through this.
I fun idea...but cheaply made, badly paced, hammily acted and about an hour too long.
½ September 14, 2010
The video picture that I saw for this movie actually shows the mutant that is withheld until the very end of the movie. That's gotta be the first time I ever saw a spoiler right there on the box cover. Anyway, I think what I like most about this movie is it's seriousness. That complete lack of humor makes it all the more ridiculous.
½ January 23, 2009
Lessons learned:

1. Don't keep your fiance's severed head alive in the laboratory.

2. Don't keep failed experiments (i.e. mutant cyclops-looking monsters) locked in the closet.

3. When making a horror film, budget more than $36.50 for special effects.
½ August 25, 2007
The moving story of a doctor, a tragically maimed girl, a disembodied head kept alive in a cake pan, and a mutant in a closet. If that doesn't wet your whistle nothing will.
August 17, 2007
Unbelievably silly, with a far-stretched joke.
December 3, 2011
This is not one of the better sci-fi B-movies of the era, but it is one of those that is so bad it winds up being good (well, good is stretching it - enjoyable) because of its absurdity. The acting is fair, the story is ludicrous, but the ladies are hot! It doesn't take itself too seriously, so you shouldn't either.
November 19, 2009
A guy gets in a car accident with and his passenger (his girlfriend) is decapitated,. He saves her head and keeps it alive (a la Re-Animator) while he trolls strip clubs and other places looking for a suitable body replacement. He has the same taste in women that I do. Not that great in terms of anything here except the obvious Herbert West rip-off.
½ July 15, 2009
I fell in love with this one, when I saw it panned by MST3000. They are still a source for this list!
March 22, 2009
So great! The severed head of a mad scientist's wife forms a kind of telekenetic bond with a monster living in the closet. I give that 5 stars...
March 17, 2009
One of those fun, over the top comments on messing with nature, complete with excitable mad scientist and several mutants.
A Doctor experimenting with transplanting body parts decides to keep's his finance's head alive after a car crash.
Disappointing last scene, but some great lines. When the head's eyes opens he tells his nervous, astounded assistant "What you see is real. What's done is done and what I've done was right. It's the work of science".
September 23, 2008
Very entertaining, even though I'm still asking myself, "why did he take her head and NOT call for help??"
December 11, 2008
I've only seen the MST3K version of this and boy would this movie have sucked otherwise. Not that they're chosen for MST3K because they're renowned award winners...
July 7, 2008
So bad it's good. In this strange tale of car accident starts, leaving a woman bodiless, but her head is somehow alive. Ha.
June 19, 2008
For the most part iIcan enjoy these films. For this however, I wish the brain would die because I'm certian I've lost some brain cells from watching this.
July 14, 2007
A doctor decides to perform the ultimate grafting his girlfriend's head onto another woman's body. Just a few small problems, though...every victim he looks at winds up with a friend showing up, a previous experiment is obeying the Law of Unintended Consequences, and the head develops a form of ESP-as well as a wish to die. After finally procuring the body, the gf raises a bit of Hell-and causes the transplant to never really get started. And, in the end, the head does a DIAF. Implausible story, horrible acting, and shoestring budget-the hallmark of bad '50's horror/sci-fi. For added hilarity, check out the MST3K edition.
½ March 10, 2007
A very slow and boring movie that almost had me asleep several times. Some of the acting was alright while some of the acting was way overdone. Ther creature at the end had one of the worst makeup jobs I have ever seen in most cinema. Not really much of a horror movie, maybe more of a thriller or a drama with a horrific ending. Not really worth the time to watch.