• PG-13, 1 hr. 34 min.

The Break-Up Artist Reviews

xxdebxx
xxdebxx

March 11, 2010
This is a romantic comedy about a girl (Amanda Crew - Sex Drive and She's The Man) whose job it is to do the breaking up for people. Now, in order to save her company she is forced to become a matchmaker when new competition muscles her out of the lucrative 'break up' business. A Chick flick that is playful and not meant to be taken seriously. Predictable but still fun to watch.
November 6, 2010
Too cheesy type of romantic comedy. Amanda Crew was the only reason that kept to still watch this crap movie.
August 28, 2013
very...juvenile in terms of direction, story line acting and the whole bit.
February 27, 2012
Yes, this film is a bit on the cheesy side, but I'll admit I really enjoyed it. It may be just another chick flick, but it's got heart too, and that's what makes it an even more enjoyable story to watch unfold. So, if you decide to watch this, prepare for cheese but know you'll likely end up with a smile on your face like I did.
February 24, 2012
A feeble attempt to be cleaver, but isnt.
Faroeislander
October 2, 2011
Another terrible romantic comedy.
June 8, 2011
The movie was watchable, but I felt like I had wasted my time after watching it.
November 5, 2010
One of the least successfully executed formula romantic comedies I've seen. The humor is too contrived and forced for it succeed despite attractive and passably funny leads and a couple of good supporting roles. It doesn't miss each scenario by all that much, but it misses EVERY one and a miss is as good as a mile.
Justin Oberholtzer
November 30, 2009
Many feel that love doesn't exist. That it's a four-letter word made up to sell candies and roses on Valentine's Day. Many feel that break-ups and divorces are the result of those believing in the false truth of love (which may or may not be the case). Many feel that love blows.

Brittany Brooks (Amanda Crew) is one of those people. She makes a career out of this, as she runs her own business called Splitzville. She acts as a break-up artist, splitting up couples for those who are too afraid to do it themselves. Another break-up business named E-Dump starts stealing her customers, thanks to its owner Rick (Peter Benson). To keep her business alive, she accepts to help her sister's ex, Mike (Ryan Kennedy), get back together with her.

The Break-Up artist is a mildly entertaining comedy. Amanda Crew (who is drop-dead gorgeous) and Ryan Kennedy have good chemistry, and their scenes together do elicit some laughs. Director Steve Woo, however, doesn't focus mainly on them. He also averts his attention to Brittany's friends and former clients (they were let go when she didn't have enough money to pay them), Robyn (Moneca Delain) & Tiffany (Ali Liebert), who go undercover at E-Dump to take them down. Neither of them are interesting, and Tiffany's dumb blonde shtick gets old quickly. They may play well into the ending, but their journey their was mundane.

The main reason Break-Up Artist doesn't work well is its unoriginality. It feels like Hitch's antonym, in case anybody was curious what it would've been like if Hitch helped break people up instead of hooking them up. I'm sure there were some people who had this thought (and that's perfectly fine), but I don't think there was much demand for it.

This wasn't my main problem with the unoriginality though. My main problem was most of the jokes felt recycled. Quite a few of them I've heard before (I'm almost positive they stole a line from The Simpsons). Sure, there are original jokes (these were what made me laugh), but not many.

Artist isn't entirely terrible, it's almost tolerable. The problem is, Woo relies on recycled jokes and a thin plot. The film is predictable, which wouldn't be as much of a problem if the journey was fun. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

I would've given this a lower rating, but it did give me Amanda Crew in lingerie. And for that, I'm thankful.

P.S. I didn't mean for the lingerie bit to come off as chauvinistic. I just have a crush on Amanda Crew and was happy to see her in lingerie. That's all. Please don't read into it much.