Breakfast of Champions Reviews

bbcfloridabound
½ September 21, 2012
Want to watch a movie with no point, this is it. Can't believe Bruce Willis would stoop so low as to do this film, did he really think this was going to be a hit. 0 stars It Sucked/ 9-15-12
½ September 29, 2009
Not a bad movie but not a great adaptation of the fantastic book but still worth a look!
puffchunk
½ March 13, 2008
Bruce Willis was fun in the movie, but I think his likability rapidly decreases when he thinks nothing matters anymore. Nick Nolte's cross dressing is annoying. Still, the film was entertaining.
Harlequin68
January 23, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=darkgreen]"In Good Company" is a movie about a 51 year old sales executive named Dan Foreman(played by Dennis Quaid who is very good) who finds out almost simultaneously that his company has been swallowed up by a huge corporate conglomerate and that his wife is expecting a baby. Adding to that, is his new boss, Carter Duryea(played by Topher Grace) who is young enough to be his son. The first time we see Duryea is when he is proposing a way of selling cell phones to five-year olds which cannot be a good thing. (We learn that Duryea never knew his father and is perhaps in desperate need of a father figure who could show him the ropes, like teaching him how to drive.) "In Good Company" has some funny moments and a good criticism of corporate culture even if it is not entirely successful. It also seems to say that it is alright for young adults to be given the freedom to spend some time to find their calling.[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#006400][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=navy]Since last week's episode of Alias got me thinking of Kurt Vonnegut, I decided it was finally time to check out the movie version of one his novels - "Breakfast of Champions" which is a rather odd movie. It's about a suicidal car salesman played by Bruce Willis and a reclusive novelist played by Albert Finney. There's not a lot of plot to speak of, just people acting very, very strangely. And I was surprised to find that Nick Nolte has the legs to wear women's lingerie. [/color][/font]
FanGirl
March 25, 2007
Quirky and slightly insane, an underapperciated film.
February 13, 2010
Breakfast Of Champions is boring with no redeeming qualities to speak of. (First and only viewing - Late 2003)
August 4, 2013
This is where I say that the book is way better than the movie. The movie version is somewhat of a train wreck but is a little interesting.
½ January 16, 2008
a great look at suburban life in a small town in the 90's, where television and pills rules the nation. made it obvious that it wasn't a direct adaptation of the Vonnegut book, therefore making it enjoyable. Willis proves he can play something other than a hero, and puts on a phenomenal performance. He even still gets to shoot a gun, but this time at a TV!
½ August 5, 2007
Maybe Bruce Willis' oddest role. I never read that particular Vonnegut novel but it appears to be in classic Vonnegut style. Entertaining with a good cast and interesting character work.
½ June 10, 2007
This is pretty good if you have the patience for it. Bruce Willis' character just doesn't know where he fits in. Owen Wilson makes a cameo appearance during the film.
½ April 23, 2007
I honestly wonder if anyone involved in making this disaster ever actually read the book. A truly dreadful, shameful adaptation of one the great works of fiction in American literary history.
April 16, 2007
Criminally neglected, one of the best roles in Willis's career. Also, it happens to rate, IMHO, with Slaughterhouse 5 and Mother Night in terms of translating Vonnegut to screen.
April 13, 2007
Finney is perfect as Kilgore Trout. And director Alan Rudolph managed to capture the absurd hilarity of the novel. He should give 'Slapstick' a try some day.
May 31, 2006
FUCK YEAH!!!!! this movie has everything. it's funny, touching, spiritual, and crazy as hell. i can see why most people don't like it, but i happen to think its brilliant.
½ October 11, 2014
I guess reading the actual novel makes y look at this movie differently, it does a good job of
representing the book wich i find great because its not that easy a book to screenplay because of all the refrences to previous books by Vonnegut.
For short not to mis if your a Vonnegut fan
November 4, 2013
Completely butchers the book and manages to take the context of the book almost completely out of tone.
½ August 27, 2013
Just watched this fiasco; everybody played their parts very well especially Nolte and Finney and Willis played the nut job well enough but I don't think any Kurt Vonnegut fan is going to like this film.
August 6, 2013
Everyone involved here (the director, the writer, the cast) seems to have been tripping on acid during the making of this. Oddly, it's what's both stupid and slightly appealing about the movie.
May 28, 2013
Anybody who has not read or understood the book will absolutely hate this; the last 20 minutes of the film/last pages of the book are by far its saving grace.