Breakin' All the Rules Reviews

January 26, 2008
The story is half decent, although I think a lot of these films, waste time on film which is just modelling shots. So they found it tough to fit the rest of the story in. But it works, no complaints. Funny !
½ February 2, 2007
Jamie Foxx is hilarious.
banzaibrother
February 15, 2010
Jamie Foxx and Gabrielle Union headline a very funny romantic company. The chemistry between these two is genuine. "Breakin' All The Rules" is a film about mistaken identities gone wild. While the relationship between Foxx and Union is predictable...how the other relationships turn out are not...making you stick around until the end. The movie doesn't waste time...starting out with Foxx's character Quincy getting dumped by his girlfriend. Quincy then writes a successful how-to book on breaking up and that sets off a chain reaction that will keep you in your seat until the end.
½ April 3, 2012
Foxx can act and Union is gorgeous but Breakin' All The Rules is rather boring and other than one or two smirks really has nothing worth watching.
February 23, 2008
A fun rom/com with Jamie Foxx and the rest of the cast having a blast.
Gabrielle Union has never looked so good with her Halle Berry haircut.
½ July 20, 2007
wild funny, another one of my favs, and not just because of Gabrielle Union's cute sexiness, but also because of jamie foxx's character -outrageously funny, when he came to the door with this raggedy pink robe, yo that did it...but if you've been reading my movie comments you already know that i love, love stories and this was one that had a tight plot, with realistic happenings in it, i though the ending should have been stronger, but i couldn't think of a way how to end it differently...Three and a half stars
May 10, 2007
I LOVED this movie!!!! Jamie Foxx is dead on in this movie and it shows that MEN can do the right thing!!!! LOL
½ April 2, 2007
I was shopping and saw this DVD. I do not know why I missed it but it was very funny. I enjoyed it and will watch it again it was so entertaining. Go Jamie! and Gabrielle Union awesome!!!
½ February 15, 2007
I know that I've seen this movie, but I really don't remember it that wel becaues it was very cliched and predictable. Doesn't stand out in it's genre AT ALL
February 9, 2007
another funny movie, w/ another one of my fav. actresses, Gabrielle Union, and of course the sexy Morris Chestnut
½ January 9, 2007
Sum of da shit on here kinda works but its just a movie so i wouldn't try this shit on my relationship
November 18, 2006
its the best movie ever to be born i love to watch this movie cause it is funny and gets people to laugh.lol funny and it is one of my kind of movies/...
½
Could be that I just love Gabrielle Union or I think Jamie Foxx is funny, either way it was a good movie.
September 12, 2014
As Jamie Foxx made his move toward acclaimed dramatic roles (the FX tv movie Redemption, Collateral and Ray) about a decade ago, we immediately forget that he participated in this romantic comedy in early 2004. He and Gabrielle Union made attractive leads and the film is harmless from what I remembered, just not as funny from what I remembered.
July 21, 2013
the white critics really show how racist they are, this movie is well written, produced, has great acting and is fun from beginning to end. but it gets horrible ratings because the cast is black. thank goodness the fans show the truth.
May 27, 2013
Breakin' all the rules is a very good romantic comedy. For those who are looking for drama and action, this is not the movie for you. But, it is a very entertaining romantic comedy.
April 3, 2007
[color=#000000][font=Kristen ITC]Cast: Jamie Foxx ([/font][b][font=Kristen ITC]Quincy[/font][/b][font=Kristen ITC] [b]Watson[/b]), Gabrielle Union ([b]Nicky[/b] [b]Callas[/b]), Morris Chestnut ([b]Evan[/b] [b]Fields[/b]), [/font][font=Kristen ITC]Peter MacNicol ([b]Philip[/b] [b]Gascon[/b]), Jennifer Esposito ([/font][b][font=Kristen ITC]Rita[/font][/b][font=Kristen ITC] [b]Monroe[/b]), Bianca Lawson ([b]Helen[/b] [b]Sharp[/b]), Jill Ritchie ([b]Amy[/b])[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Kristen ITC]Quincy[/font][font=Kristen ITC] is down and out after his fiancÚ leaves him for his best man. He starts to write heartrending letters to his ex-fiancÚ to express how hurt he is. His cousin Evan convinces [/font][font=Kristen ITC]Quincy[/font][font=Kristen ITC] to turn the letters into a book on how to break up with someone. In the middle of it all he meets Evan?s girlfriend, Nicky (played by the divine Gabrielle Union), and she recognises him and decides to play her own game. Anyway, it all ends up all right in the end with [/font][font=Kristen ITC]Quincy[/font][font=Kristen ITC] eventually getting the girl.[/font][/color]
April 3, 2007

½ September 6, 2005
I actually learned a lot from this movie.

[u]Breakin' All The Rules[/u] is a silly romantic comedy in which Jamie Foxx's "Quincy" gets dumped on the same day he's assigned to write a manual on firing people, and the fusing of the two causes him to write a bestseller about how to break up with people. This causes his cousin (Morris Chestnut) to solicit his advice / interference on breaking up with his own girlfriend (Gabrielle Union), and wouldn't you know it? In the process, she and Quincy fall in love. Of course, there are all kinds of misunderstandings in the interim, so hilarity of "Three's Company" proportions ensues, there's a subplot about Quincy's boss (Peter McNichol from [i]Ally McBeal) [/i]trying to break up with his wife (Jennifer Esposito), and a bunch of other crap which really isn't all that good, so not worth getting into here.

Instead, let's talk about what this movie meant to me: as I may have mentioned in a previous entry, I helped cast the movie [u]Blast[/u]! (2004, Anthony Hickox), which was an action movie written by Steven DeSouza and starring Eddie Griffen and Vivica A. Fox. From that description, you may be asking, "why have I never heard of this film?!", and the story is this: [u]Blast[/u]! was completed probably two years or so ago, and according to one of the producers, looked like a B movie. Its director was a B director, and so didn't deliver an A picture, even though he had the budget. As a result, the film sat on the shelf until this year, when it got a straight to DVD release. When I heard this, I thought they were just being harsh, biased because of Hicox's previous work, and didn't think much more of it. But for a while now, I've seen [u]Breakin' All The Rules[/u] at video stores, and have likewise wondered why Jamie Foxx and Gabrielle Union made a romantic comedy that I'd never even heard of. I finally got to see it, and now everything makes sense

[u]Breakin' All The Rules[/u] has all of the elements of a [u]Two Can Play That Game[/u] (Mark Brown, 2001) type movie - a first rate cast, complete with white guy from TV (ala [u]Hitch[/u] (2005, Andy Tennant), great production design, a great soundtrack, with real, name musical acts, and a simple story. There's something about the direction that I can't put my finger on, however, that makes it look and feel straight to video. I mean it looks great, but feels lame. Silly. Amateurish. Like you could make a movie this good on half the budget. And I would be willing to guess that it, like Blast! sat on the shelf for the same reasons, until some DVD distributor (in this case, "Screen Gems," I think) agreed to release it. It's a bad film that had all of the aesthetic elements to be great.