Bright Leaf

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Bright Leaf Reviews

KevinRobbins
November 11, 2013
When he looks at me, I know I am a woman.

A young man grows up next to a young lady in the south. Both of their parents are landowners with large estates, but the girl's family is rich, the boy's family is poor, and the parents do not get along at all. The boy never pursues his dream of dating the girl. The boy grows up to become an entrepreneur of sorts, and sleeps often with another local town girl. He won't settle down with the girl he sleeps with. One day, he develops a get rich plan, and asks the girl he is sleeping with to help him financially, deep down she hopes if it works out, he will marry her, but she knows it isn't likely...and she's right. He gets rich, proposes to his childhood sweetheart, and forms a life with her. The young man believes his life is now set, but karma may circle back and kick him in the butt.

"Are you a dangerous man?"
"I get what I want if you think that's dangerous."

Michael Curtiz, director of Casablanca, White Christmas, Mildred Pierce, The Adventures of Robin Hood, the Vagabond King, Yankee Doodle Dandee, and Captain Blood, delivers Virginia City. The storyline for this picture is very compelling and actually reminded me of Gone with the Wind. I found all of the characters to be annoying at times, but all of their stories were fascinating. The acting was excellent and the cast includes Gary Cooper, Lauren Bacall, Patricia Neal, Jack Carson, and Donald Crisp.

"Be honest."
"How honest?"

I DVR'd this picture because it was directed by the great Michael Curtiz (one of my all time favorite directors). I had procrastinated on watching this for a little while, but was pleasantly surprised by the wonderful characters, up and down storyline, and the ultimate conclusion. This is definitely a must see picture that should be mentioned in the same breath as Gone with the Wind and Casablanca.

"Don't I know you from someplace?"
"I've never been there."

Grade: A
starlett2005
April 3, 2012
Bright Leaf is an amazing film. It is a guy from the wrong side of tracks who sets out to conquer the cigarette world at the turn of the century. Gary Cooper and Lauren Bacall give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Michael Curtiz did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. Bright Leaf is a must see.
February 3, 2012
Great, near epic movie. Not seen by many and more's the pity. I think it's Coop's best role ever.
sawyer g.
February 13, 2011
I thought the film was quite well done. Overall the at least the main characters were able to hold their parts together enough to keep the audience involved. Curtiz did a good job creating an epic tale of love and compromise that was an entertaining film to watch.