66% The Equalizer Sep 26

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

A Bright Shining Lie Reviews

Cynthia S

November 9, 2010
Interesting HBO movie based on the experiences of John Vann soldier, and military advisor, during the Vietnam conflict. A revealing story of cover-ups, and mistakes that are ultimately revealed about all wars. Decently done.
Christopher B

February 4, 2008
I barely remember this one, but I liked it because Paxton was in it.
flixsterbum
November 1, 2007
Having read the other reviews of this movie, I guess I'd have to defer to those who read the book this is based on and those who actually served in Vietnam as to its historical accuracy. As to the movie itself, though, I was pleasantly surprised. Generally, even the best made-for-cable movies fall just a bit flat, but this one didn't at all. More importantly, it opened my eyes to another perspective to the war that I've not seen in any other Vietnam film. For my generation, we only really know the war through movies, and generally that image is of the quagmire, of no one knowing what the hell was going on. This is the first that I'd seen where victory seemed attainable. More importantly, it stirred debate as to how the lessons learned in Vietnam apply to our current situation in the war on terror. The depiction of John Paul Vann was excellent. This was an imperfect man fighting an imperfect war. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to get a different perspective on the conflict.
moviebuff18cab
July 9, 2005
A BRIGHT SHINING LIE (1998)
Efect703
October 27, 2009
I didn't like the film too much because I'm kind of anti-war and this film does glorify war... which it shouldn't. However, the lead actor was good and this helped the film along. I didn't know anything about the Vietnam war, and this film was as informative as it was entertaining. More films should be like it in that way.
jennifer's picks & pa
January 31, 2007
More crappy movies I've seen. One day I might get every movie I've seen rated. Okay probably not. Here are some bad ones......with not much else to say.

[b]Boomerang - 4/10

[/b]Director - Reginald Hudlin

Starring - Eddie Murphy, Halle Barry, Robin Givens, David Allan Grier, Martin Lawrence.

[b]Betsy's Wedding - 4/10

[/b]Director - Alan Alda

Starring - Molly Ringwald, Alan Alda, Madeline Kahn, Ally Sheedy, Dylan Walsh, Joe Pesci, Anthony Lapaglia.

[b]Blown Away - 3/10

[/b]Director - Stephen Hopkins

Starring - Tommy Lee Jones, Jeff Bridges, Lloyd Bridges, Forest Whitaker, Suzy Amis.

[b]Bad Company - 3/10

[/b]Director - Damian Harris

Starring - Laurence Fishburne, Ellen Barkin, Frank Langella, Jonny Lee Miller.

[b]A Bright Shining Lie - 4/10

[/b]Director - Terry George

Starring - Bill Paxton, Amy Madigan, Eric Bogoshian, Donal Logue, Vivian Wu.
Jemster
June 27, 2006
[font=Comic Sans MS]I watched this movie last night and I am frankly amazed it was distributed. Bill Paxton's performance was thoroughly unconvincing. He looked and behaved like a Dufus and I am not sure if it was the Director's intention for you to be sympathetic towards the character of Lt Col Vann or to loathe him. Every scene ended with one of the cast issuing a meaningful glance or expression. I found it laughable. A real stinker of an RT.[/font]