Movies Like Le Pacte des loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf)

71% Hercules Jul 25

Le Pacte des loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf) Reviews

garyX
garyX

December 21, 2006
An adventurer and his Iroquois warrior companion investigate a series of brutal murders in rural revolutionary France said to be the work of a supernatural creature. The Brotherhood of the Wolf is a strange fish indeed. It is a genre spanning hybrid of period romance, supernatural horror, Holmesian mystery and martial arts mayhem. It's a strange brew indeed, but somehow it works. The basis of the story is similar to The Name Of The Rose in that a man of science investigates murder in Ye Olden Days to a backdrop of religious and political paranoia but it mixes in elements of The Hound Of The Baskervilles and Dangerous Liaisons with a Hammer Horror twist to create what is best described as a French Sleepy Hollow with Kung Fu. The eclectic cast all show their quality in their various fields, from straight to DVD stalwart Marc Dacascos' laconic, high kicking Indian to Vincent Cassell's embittered aristocrat through to the inevitably stunning Monica Bellucci's mysterious Italian courtesan. The CGI may be showing its age a little, but otherwise its visually very nice and the story, although a little lacking in focus, is so odd ball it never fails to maintain the interest. An unusual supernatural action film that transcends its patchwork of ideas to create something strangely unique.
Jens S

June 15, 2006
Leave it to the French to deliver the wildest genre mix European cinema has seen in the last decade. This is martial arts action, fantasy, monster horror, historical piece and conspiracy thriller all at once. The little wonder is: the film works in each of these aspects and especially as a whole. When you expect the showdown the story takes a few more unexpected turns (maybe even one too many) and takes you through a slightly too long but none the less exciting and spectacular finish. Especially Dacascos' fights are top notch, but the rest of the cast is just as convincing. No wonder Cassel has been a regular in Hollywood ever since. A truly original and outstanding piece of French cinema that doesn't try to be great art but just damn fun and entertaining.
deano
deano

September 25, 2006
Extraordinary and extremely cool. While delving into this actual historical mystery, the heroes uncover a mad-up conspiracy involving one-armed aristocrat Vincent Cassel and a deep-cleavaged Monica Bellucci. This frogsploitation epic has it all and then some: a monster, posh frocks (ripped, naturally), kung-fu, scheming courtiers and regular bouts of swordplay.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 1, 2011
Brotherhood of the Wolf is a stunning action horror film. Brilliantly acted and directed, Brotherhood of the Wolf is a stunning film, with an engaging storyline. This is also a different take on the werewolf genre, and it's very creative. Director Christophe Gans, who would later direct Silent Hill, helms this stunning film. What makes Brotherhood of the Wolf such an interesting film is the perfect mix of action and horror and that the film is constantly thrilling. The film has a great blend of atmosphere mixed in with the Gothic overtones of the time period of which the film takes place. Brotherhood of the Wolf is a stunning foreign film, and quite possibly one of the most impressive French films that I have seen. The acting displayed by the actors is flawless, and they each bring something original, exciting and thrilling to the screen that makes this film a much better film. The story itself is well developed and executed. The film at times has good terror, and plenty of good action scenes. Director Christophe Gans has crafted a near flawless picture that is a very memorable viewing at that. What makes this film a worthy viewing (At least for me), is that the film is a wonderful period piece that blends action and horror into a memorable, and quite frankly unforgettable werewolf monster film. This is a classic of the Werewolf genre, and belongs as one of the best of the Werewolf films. Not since An American Werewolf in London and The Howling has a Werewolf film been so effective at delivering good scares along with stunning action, acting and drama.
cosmo313
cosmo313

September 11, 2011
For a non expert on French films, I feel I've seen enough to say that this really doesn't seem like their sort of thing. I was surprised to learn that this was (and might still be) one of their biggest blockbusters. Guess I need to do some more watching.

This is an ambitious epic story that is a very stylish blend of multiple genres, including historical costume drama period piece, action, adventure, mystery, horror, anachronistic post "Matrix" style martial arts, and romance. It also deals with issues of race, religion, and politics. That's a hell of a lot of stuff for an action movie about a monster (non-metaphoric) on the loose.

The broad story takes places in 18th Century France and concersn a royal taxidermsit/naturalist and knight and his Iroquois companion who travel to the Gevaudan Province to investigate the case of a supposed wolf like monster that has een terrorizing the region.

Genre mashups are so hard to do, and do well, and though this film certainly does try, it is admittedly a bit of a mess. It's long, has uneven pacing, and feels like it lasts forever. I saw the slightly extended director's cut, so that just beefs it all up even more. Also, some of the effects are dated and not all that goods looking. They hired the Jim Henson Creature Shop though, so that shows they at least put some effort into it.

I think this film tried to do and be too much, and as a result, it's a real mixed bag that really doesn't always work as much as it should. I'm giving it a slight recommendation though, because it's never really boring, it's entertaining, and it's got some very cool costumes, great cinematography, and some okay action.

The acting is okay, but nothing truly amazing. Well, except for Mark Dacascos. He's awesome. Some of my assumptions about the plot and characters turned out to be correct, but that's fine. I wouldn't have minded being more surprised though.

I normally really praise ambition, but I think this could have been a real masterpiece had they just made it more focused and not tried ot cram so much in. Playing it more straight and accurate might have made for a less stylish and cool movie, but it would have been stronger overall.

Like I said, I'll give it a small recommendation, but it's not a brilliant work of art. It's great to look at and very entertaining though, and that's what really matters.
Cynthia S

March 29, 2011
No real deep characterization in this film, and the director couldn't decide on a plot line. Pretty much a mundane action flick that had potential and didn't deliver. Nice costuming, and cinemetography, though. I was expecting so much more from the high ratings. Very slow, and really long.....and I thought that the CGI effects with the beast were laughable.
maxthesax
maxthesax

March 30, 2011
This French production uses the kitchen sink method: a little historical politics, a little period costuming, a sprinkling of mysticism, an overdose of martial arts, and a big bad wolf (or perhaps it's just Grandma wearing a wolf's outfit). Throw this mishmash together and you've got a film that takes itself way too seriously, and one that ultimately fails in just about every way.

The story begins earnestly enough, with some Marquis penning a tale that took place several years earlier concerning a "beast" that is terrorizing the citizens of a French province. The king sends a "naturalist" to the area more because he's curious and wants to see the beast himself than because of any effort the protect his subjects (and isn't that just the way it always is with these damned kings?)

As the "naturalist" and his Indian companion traverse the countryside (and I must admit there is some beautiful photography to be viewed), they come upon some ruffians who are tormenting an old man and what appears to be his daughter. The Indian companion gets off his horse, walks into the fray and goes all Bruce Lee on the hapless Frenchies - uh oh, first misstep (as I'm wondering how a Canadian Indian in 1750 is hip to all that fu stuff).

From there the Naturalist meets up with the upper crust of the Province, and for some reason the filmmakers decide to include about a hundred characters, as if each and every one is important (here's a clue, they're not). This gives the filmmakers the opportunity to show that the upper crust were a bunch of bigots, equating the Indian "savages" to the "Negro in Africa". Ooh, sociology lesson kiddies!

The film then introduces a "love interest"... of course they do, this is a French film, what did you expect. Said affair de amour isn't just superfluous however, and in better hands could have made a substantial impact on the film. Alas! The film spends a great deal of time chatting amongst all the Dukes etc. and it is decided that they will marshal all the townspeople and local militia and go on a great hunt to capture or kill the "wolf". While on the hunt, the Naturalist and the Duchess or whatever she is, get separated (but fear not, for Jackie Chan comes with them - so no hanky panky occurs). In its place you get a bit of mysticism, as first the Indian says that he hears the dead speaking to him (hello, Indian dude, Bruce Willis here...) and then becomes the wolf whisperer, as a white wolf (Elric, where are ya when we need ya?) seems able to communicate with the Indian.

Of course the "beast" remains elusive, but heck, we all had a good time hunting, including yet another scene where the locals pit their meager talents against Jet Li, all while the girl who was being harassed by the ruffians in the scene where we first met the Indian watches with glee. She has one of those eye to eye thingies with the Indian, all filled with portents (of what we have no idea, and, funny thing, never will - though it is rumored that the wench is a witch - always wanted to use that bit of alliteration).

The film then makes up for the lack of hanky panky during the hunt by having the Marquis invite the Naturalist (and the Indian) to a brothel, whereupon the Naturalist, naturally (he he) meets up with a mysterious Italian (wow, what an international film we've got going here) who is obviously much more than a whore (even though she resides in the brothel).

So that's the setup - whew! To summarize, we've got a love interest, but the hero is also shagging the Italian. The Italian is "owed favors", probably in return for her favors, and remains a "woman of mystery". We've got a beast terrorizing the countryside, but after half of France goes a hunting, he remains unseen (it's as if the wolf is human, able to think and reason... hmmm, another red herring, or just red riding hood?). We've got possible witchcraft as well as a spiritual Indian who talks to the animals (Rex Harrison, may ye rest in peace), who is also versed in martial arts.

At this point we're almost half way through the 2.5 hour running time, and while the kung fu stuff taking place in 18th century France is pretty hilarious, I was at least entertained. Ah, but then things start to seriously unravel. The king sends some specialist hunter, direct from the court in Versailles (because, as everybody knows, the best hunters wear all those frilly costumes). There is a bit of deceit, the beast is pronounced dead and the Naturalist is ordered to return to Paris, where he is commissioned to head off to Africa - end of story. Or is it? No, the Naturalist knows of the deceit, and when the killings in the province resume, decides to return upon the request of the Marquis and the love interest, in spite of express orders by the monarchy to stay away.

There is yet another scene of a fresh-faced maiden being hunted by... well, you get the picture - and here I was wondering how all those peasant girls were so clean and rosy cheeked, even while sloshing through muddy bogs - silly me.

From here mystery and mysticism run rampant - there's some stuff involving a secret sect commissioned by the Pope (hmm, maybe the Naturalist can consult with Tom Hanks, or Nick Cage), all rolled up into a big mess where the film tries to wrap up each and every single plot thread - like the audience is supposed to care about what happens to some guy who only has 5 minutes of prior film time (was he a Duke, a Marquis, or the piss boy?).

Any film runs into serious trouble when it takes itself so seriously while asking you to believe in some pretty preposterous premises (that's PPP - I'm going to trademark the phrase). Having a Jedi master in a film where gunpowder is a recent discovery is just a bit jarring, but that's not the half of it. In attempting to make sense of everything, the film piles iffy proposition upon absurd proposition, upon plot convenience to build a mountain of.....merde? Including three or four false endings (all of which we could have done without), like a scene where the aged Marquis is brought before a teeming mob of peasants ("sire, the peasants are revolting" - "yes, they certainly are", yuck yuck) - I guess this was supposed to represent the revolution, and there's a funky bit of prose about the beast being quelled - said beast being the anger of the people, but really, was this viva la France moment really necessary, or for that matter the entire enterprise?

I also have to mention that there are some serious continuity issues here (but we're French, so we don't care about your silly continuity) - as well as a bit of truly bad CGI. The final analysis: if this film could have figured out what it wanted to be, it could have been much better, but the action film/political agenda - it's two, two, two films in one didn't do anyone any favors. I have some vague recollections of a film that was done by Disney back in the late 60's (of which I had a comic) called The Scarecrow - kind of a Robin Hoodish thing where an Englishman priest spent his evening hours confounding the crown's tax collectors - this film could have been like that, but would have required a much tighter narrative.
Conner R

January 15, 2010
A beautiful looking period piece and perhaps the most odd way to go about doing a monster movie. It works in somehow making a very plausible and believable plot having to do with an 18th Century wolf-beast, blended with kung-fu fight scenes and a love story. I wouldn't exactly call it a horror movie, but it doesn't really fit in a sort of genre. The main issue with the movie is the CGI, it's absolutely horrible, making the beast laughable.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

March 17, 2008
Realized that I had only rated this and not reviewed it, so watched it again (the "directors cut" this time) and was instantly reminded of just how beautifully shot this film is.

While it is not without it's flaws, it is very well done. And though the main premise of the story is "Baskerville-ish", it is nicely enveloped with enough French history, martial arts and lush costumes and sets that (for the most part) it is easy to overlook.

My only complaint would be with some of the CGI effects regarding "the beast". They were a bit low budget at times. But again, there is SO much other really great stuff to be said for the film, that it is pretty easy to overlook those few moments of bad CGI.
Al S

April 20, 2008
A classic. A wild and absolutely breathtaking ride. As cool and as exciting as adventure gets. It's a masterpice, a briiliant combination of historical background, fantacy, horror, mystery and outstanding action sequences. A stylish, sexy, remarkable and mind-blowing adventure. A compelling, moving and provocative film filled with great locations and sensual images. An extroadinary and fasinating movie. An amasing and explosive action-packed adventure. The action is like something from The Matrix or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The story has a great sense of character development and devotion. It truly shines with greatness and incrediable style. Samuel Le Bihan and Mark Dacascos are sensational. Vincent Cassel gives a chilling performance.
Aaron N

June 13, 2006
Jean-Francois de Morangias: So tell me sir, do they speak of the beast in Paris?
Gregoire De Fronsac: Speak of it? They're already singing songs about it.
Geneviève de Morangias: Instead of singing songs, they should be saying prayers.

Quite the strange film, which manages to pack a historical atmosphere with killer wolves, martial arts, crazy amounts of cleavage and nudity, political drama, romance, and some slick cinematography to make it all look nice. The film is too all over the place to be great, but it is entertaining.

Set in 18th century France, the Chevalier de Fronsac and his native American friend Mani are sent by the King to the Gevaudan province to investigate the killings of hundreds by a mysterious beast. During this time, more characters are introduced, including a one-armed count, played by Vincent Cassel and one of the women at the local brothel, played by Monica Bellucci. While on the hunt for the dangerous beast killing many, the two main men learn that there may be much more to the terrorizing of the beast than one may know.

Jean-Francois de Morangias: Congratulations. If I had both my hands, I'd applaud you.

At two and a half hours, this is a long movie, especially given its B-movie style plot outline. The first hour and a half was actually really good, before the movie descended into stranger and stranger territory. The characters are interesting and the premise was working for me. As the film kept going, all the other layers detracted from my liking of the movie.

The two things that were the most solid here were Mark Dacascos as the Native American who was awesome as a quiet martial arts expert and the gorgeous cinematography. Any movie that can give us both beautiful landscapes and transition fades from Bellucci's breasts to mountains is quality. Certainly adding to both these elements (Dacascos and the cinematography) is the action sequences, which make great use of slo mo and speed ups.

As intriguing as the beast aspect of the story is, seeing it wasn't too satisfying, however, it did kinda grow on me in a strange sort of way.

Now in addition to all of this, as absurd as some of the elements in this film are, what is surprising is that a lot of the characters and their character traits are actually true. Its a detail that I feel necessary to share, because what else can I say about this movie? It has some cool action, looks great, but is overly long.

Gregoire De Fronsac: How did it happen?
Jean-Francois de Morangias: I learned that sometimes one bullet doesn't suffice.
Kylie B

September 26, 2009
I loved this film. However, at the begining I wasn't of the same opinion. It took me a long time to get into the film, perhaps because (in my opinion) the ending sequence is the best part of the film.
Nani V

December 23, 2008
I fell asleep...it was sooo long. I will maybe give it another shot some time in my life time. For now, it gets 1 star.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

July 21, 2007
Good premise, decent atmosphere, lame and dumb execution. The action sequences are choppy, and become yet another proof that you just can't beat the real thing (Hong Kong cinema) when it comes to shootings this kind of stuff. Best thing of this: Monica Bellucci naked, Cassel plays wacky villians too.
cancercapricorn2002
cancercapricorn2002

October 25, 2007
In the late 18th century, a remote French village is being laid siege to by a beast. Nobody knows what it is, some think a wolf, others something demonic, but the beast has killed over and over for years and repeated attempts to find and destroy it have been futile. The King of France has finally gotten word of this and dispatches two men, Gregoire de Fronsac (a naturalist/biologist) and his enigmatic friend, Mani (an American Indian) to find and destroy the creature.

The two arrive in the village and begin their search but find impediments of all types being thrown by the villagers. Most of the resistance is thrown in the face of Mani, the "barbarian", who exhibits both amazing spiritual, medical, and physical prowess to stave off complaints. After a slaughter of the wolf pack inhabiting the woods everyone feels safe, only to have more children attacked by the creature. Fronsac and Mani track the beast to its lair only to discover a terrible secret and tragedy ensues. Then the movie really heats up!

I'm a fan of foreign films but I don't think I have ever seen one that could only be described as an action/martial-arts/romance/horror/suspense movie before and I doubt I will ever seen one again that was as good as this one. The storyline was well plotted ( maybe it had to much plot but I prefer that to none at all) and the cinematography was beautiful. The fight scenes were incredibly choreographed and this was not a surprise having seen Mark Dacascos (Mani) before in other action films. I don't want to give too much more away to ruin the experience but to sum up. This is one to check out.
Bannan i

May 18, 2008
I remember watching this...
Brian D

March 1, 2008
best french movie ever.
love this movie alot.
Ken S

May 5, 2007
This movie is so cool. It revels in it's "movie-ness" at levels that could only be equaled by the love child of Quentin Tarantino and Errol Flynn
Jason S

September 8, 2007
Excellent werewolf flick with an excellent cast and great action. Don't let the sub titles scare you away.