—— Transcendence Apr 18

Brown Sugar Reviews

poohtiger
poohtiger

July 19, 2009
Somehow I had never seen this movie before last night and I couldn't believed that I hadn't. It's a very good romantic comedy/drama that will remind you a little of When Harry Met Sally. There is even a scene where Taye Diggs character (Dre) spouts off on the different types of women and which ones are just to date and which ones are to marry, that scene echoes Billy Crystal's similar scene in Harry met Sally. Anyway this film main storyline has childhood friends Dre and Sidney (the gorgeous Sanaa Lathan) flirting around the issue of whether to just remain friends or become something closer. The point becomes moot when Dre ends up marrying hot to trot Reese (played by Nicole Ari Parker, who for once plays the bad girl instead of the usual saint). But Dre and Sidney still are such close friends that he spends more time with her than his own wife which leads to some friction. This being a romantic comedy, you know things will eventually turn out for the better, but getting there is what makes this movie works. A talented cast works wonders including Diggs and Lathan but also Queen Latifah as Sidney's cousin; Mos Def as a singer trying to break into the business, who is helped by Dre; and Parker. But the standout is Sanaa Lathan as Sidney. She manages to make her character seem very real, showing every emotion possible for happiness to sadness and all in between. When she is onscreen, the camera definitely loves her and so will audiences. Did I mention she was drop dead gorgeous. There are only a handful of women or men for that matter that can hold your attention with their acting ability and looks at the same time. I would put Ms Lathan up there with the legendary Elizabeth Taylor in her prime. So I highly recommend this movie, great for couples, great for romance lovers, great for film lovers in general.
Dre: It's when you talk like that, that's what makes me think that you're jealous.
Sidney 'Syd' Shaw: What?
Dre: Yes. Jealous!
Sidney 'Syd' Shaw: [throws a cookie on the table] No wonder you two are married, you're both crazy! Look here, contrary to what you and your wife may think, I don't spend my nights thinkin' about you, okay?
Dre: Shh! Lower the voice.
Sidney 'Syd' Shaw: I got a man who's fine, intelligent, successful, and gives it to me on a very, very regular basis and the s**t is the bomb!
Dre: So! I don't care what -
Sidney 'Syd' Shaw: Dre I need you to be happy for me. I need you to be there for me, just like you asked of me. So - so I can have tea and eat cucumber sandwiches with the crust cut off!
iLeo
iLeo

April 12, 2007
A great movie!
November 30, 2011
Enjoyable for the hip-hop context, even though the love story devolves into pretty predictable melodrama in the second half. Chock full of great cameos from actual hip-hop stars, ranging from Mos Def in a big role, to Talib Kweili, De La Soul, Russell Simmons, and others.
brandankurtis
September 20, 2010
They're both approaching 30 and have found success in their different but equally demanding careers. He's a hip-hop producer/exec, and she's a magazine editor for XXL. Their relationship is defined by their mutual love of hip-hop, and for each other. His name is Dre (Taye Diggs) and her name Sidney (Sanaa Lathan).

It was three years ago that I fell in love with H.E.R. (a girl named Katie) and offered her "Brown Sugar" as a Valentine's Day gift and for her birthday (which was two weeks later). For most who fell in love with H.E.R., hip-hop started back in the '70s with DJ Kool Herc driving around the Bronx flatlands blaring the sound of a new era on his speakers. For me, I fell in love with H.E.R., hip-hop, the first time I heard "Walk This Way" by Run-D.M.C. and Aerosmith, which was recorded in 1986.

Director Rick Famuyiwa has a passion for the music, and it seems to have culminated with "Brown Sugar," a film that some have called an urban version of "When Harry Met Sally" with a hip-hop beat. Sidney begins nearly every interview with the same question: How did you fall in love with hip-hop? For her, it was July 18, 1984, when she discovered a music genre with break dancing, DJing, emceeing, and graffiti tagging - the four elements of hip-hop.

It's the passion for the rhythm and the beat that brought Sidney and Dre together as children. Early in their time in college, they both considered giving it a go at romance, but Sidney decided it wouldn't be right. Her close friend Francine (Queen Latifah) warns she's turning into a Terry McMillian character. Now, as adults with careers and goals, their romance lives have taken radically different courses. Dre has become engaged to Reese (Nicole Ari Parker), who is beautiful and not some monster as movies like this would require. There is a sense of sincerity in a scene where she and Sidney confront one another about Dre.

Dre, meanwhile, who works for Millennium Records, has been assigned by his boss (Wendell Pierce), who wants MTV rotation, to produce a pair of jokesters named Ren and Ten and who call themselves the "Hip-Hop Dalmations" - "they represent that whole unity (that's 'u.n.i.t.y.') thing." Dre quits Millennium after this fiasco and decides to start his own label by first signing Chris Shawn (Mos Def), who he believes is a real artist. Dre and Sidney both realize they have to keep their feelings for one another on the down-low, especially since she is now involved with professional ballplayer Kelby Dawson (Boris Kodjoe).

"Brown Sugar" works as a pretty sweet romantic comedy that also doubles as a metaphor for the loss of dignity in hip-hop. Sid and Dre's being in love is paralleled against hip-hop's acceptance into the mainstream, and its loss of any meaningful qualities. They both feel the beat, and the passion since that day in July 1984 when they fell in love with the same thing, and its growth over the years. But despite the over-commercialization of my favorite music genre, one thing is certain:

I still love H.E.R.
fujhay
April 20, 2009
I dig the comparisons of once sincere spoken hip hop. evolving or degrading for popularity. and the metafore sweet sweet sinai lathan makes to innocent love.

genuis intertwing the two.
mrlawan
December 28, 2008
I saw this on my first movie date with my girlfriend and we're still together, how could i not like it
shonshon1b
September 13, 2008
Another romantic comedy that I enjoyed! I especially loved the performances given by Queen Latifah and Mos Def.
mangosrok
August 2, 2008
OMG i freakin love this movie it is soooo much lyke the other movie she did love and basketball which is another one of my favorites
BlackPrince64
July 8, 2008
I SIMPLY LOVE THE REMEMBERANCE OF THE DAYS OF REAL HIP HOP AND HOW IT INFLUENCED THE HEART, NOT THE MIND.
thescunk
March 17, 2008
l also watched this pussy ass, mushy, love story of a movie in jail. God, you know, of all the movies you could see in jail.
November 26, 2007
This movie brought back so many memories of being in the birthplace of rap and what it meant back then to us. They're love story is amazing and very real.
moviegirl50
August 7, 2006
I really liked this movie! At first I wasn't sure about it because I thought it was only going to be about "HipHop" which I'm not really into. But it was about Love and relationships and I liked the way they tied the whole hiphop thing into it. Give it a chance!
July 31, 2007
This movie is amazing. And the musical selection for the movie completes the movie. It is very well put together.
July 20, 2007
This is "Love and Basketball" only replacing Basketball with Music...this has been done before and its getting old...Its not bad, just an overdone story line.
owilliams
July 16, 2007
LOVE THIS MOVIE, ALWAYS ENJOY IT WHEN TAYE & SANAA ARE IN MOVIES TOGETHER, IT'S LIKE VERY GOOD CHEMISTRY WITH THESE TWO.
lovelyladyof071
July 15, 2007
love it! typical grow up est friends and don't realize they love are in love with each other until they are both with other people. Funny and cute!
July 13, 2007
I really liked this movie...really cute and really understandable (meaning I can see how this could happen).
jeckone2001
July 7, 2007
one of my all time favorites, and not only because of the serious sexieness of Sanaa Lathan, but because i'm a hopeless romantic for detailed and factual love stories, and also because i'm a lover of rap music, Hip-Hop is a part of my culture, being born and raised in the heart of Harlem, NYC...how the story is built and developed around the love of rap and the Hip-Hop culture which somewhat mirrors their relationship is genius. this i one movie i watched at least 10 times, at least, i just watched it in my ride when i went on a road trip and the end still makes my eyes water, just to know that once you find love it'll never leave you.
ThatDeal08
June 26, 2007
This moive was so good when it came out and still is till this dat Taye diggs played his part oh so well
crhodesverner
June 23, 2007
Touched my heart. I like movies like this. Hip hop, love, cute guys that are sexy, sexy women too (Hey!), check it out. You'll like it too I bet.