The Buccaneer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Buccaneer Reviews

jjnxn
½ February 13, 2014
Colorful pageant of pirate derring-do might have been technically directed by Anthony Quinn but it bares the heavy imprint of C.B. DeMille. Brynner does well as the pirate and Heston repeating his Andy Jackson from The President's Lady captures him perfectly. Inger Stevens is incredibly beautiful.
July 27, 2007
This wasn't a great pirate movie but it was ok. Not much swashbuckling as we've seen since (and before), probably since it is based on a true story and the producers were trying to keep it real.
June 5, 2007
Hmmm, an action adventure pirate movie set during the war with the British of 1812 with Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner and Charles Boyer, hmmm, I'm there!. . .
June 1, 2007
One of the Swashbucklin'est movies to ever sail the Spanish Main! Plus, Charlton Heston as Andrew Jackson? Kickin' Yo'!
½ October 20, 2005
THE BUCCANEER (1958)
½ August 12, 2010
It's not terrible I guess, Cecil B Demille throws some serious money into it to give a set and nice costumes and it's cool to see Anthony Quinn direct but you know this movie is just....ugh I don't even know. I can't even bring myself to hate it but I felt something about it and it's bastardization of American History. It's cool to see Yul Brynner and Chuck Heston on the screen together again and Heston was born to play Andrew Jackson just look at the guy... Yul Brynner's kind of cool as the Pirate Jean LaFitte who aided Jackson and his men at the battle of New Orleans but at times laughable in his french accent and too flamboyant. The story's convuluted the directing exceeds the ability of effects at the time it's very likely not historically accurate at all. God I mean who cares about the War of 1812, the events this movie depicts were a mistake anyways the war had ended news just hadn't reached New Orleans yet, it's just so...blase I can't for the life of me think why anyone would want to watch this but can't think of a good criticism either. Oh well who cares.
November 24, 2009
Entertaining and informative, mixing fact and fiction, this historical drama loosely depicts the events surrounding the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812. I came away with a fuller understanding of the underlying conflicts and clashes which existed between the French pirate Jean LaFitte and prominent locals under Andrew Jackson?s leadership that placed at great risk any favorable outcome for America and her allies. Studio re-enactment of the major front-line engagement against the British forces features special effects a la 1950?s staging that lend a realistic flavor to the action; ditto, the period-style military dress, costumes, and armaments, along with elaborate sets and scenery of Lafitte?s duty-free marketplace in the Louisiana Bayou; the pirate?s lair at Barretaria; the governor?s mansion; the New Orleans wharf; several wide-shots of sea-faring vessels both moored in safe harbor and involved in high-seas skirmishes. Decent performances all around, although I didn?t care for Inger Stevens in the role of the governor?s daughter.
January 3, 2009
The lavish production is a plus, and in spite of the big budget, the art direction and costumes are not very convincing and it lacks period flavor. Too many slow patches, a but of trimming would have helped. But it is entertaining in a Hollywood sort of way.
November 1, 2006
This movie has great stars in their earlier years: Ingor Stevens never looked prettier; Yul Brynner was a convincing Jean LaFitte, conflicted about his piracy and desiring to keep neutrality with the United States. Charlton Heston did pretty good job as Andrew Jackson, but some moments were a bit stilted. It's really a good flick for students to learn that part of our history, and it shows that all happy endings do not include the lovers getting together with each other--sometimes the happier ending is that they sail away and find partners of similar background who will understand them better in the long run.