Budrus

Budrus Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

June 6, 2013
Ayed Morrar organizes a Gandhi-esque resistance to Israeli expansion into Palestine.
This powerful documentary captures the strength of the Palestinian people and serves as a welcome response to those critics who argue that the Palestinians exclusively resist their colonization through violence. Morrar emerges as a simple, honest, and austere man, and though the film drags at times, the overall message rings resoundingly.
Overall, it's good to see a positive story of resistance coming from this area of intractable differences.

October 11, 2010
"Budrus" is an illuminating documentary on many levels. To start, it is about everyday life and the complicated politics of the Occupied West Bank that we rarely get to see. Ayed Morrar lives with his family in the small village of Budrus that is in the path of the proposed security wall, meant to keep Israel safe from terrorists. With views from people in both Israel and the West Bank, nobody disputes the need for the wall, even though I could think of a few reasons off the top of my head. What is under dispute is the path of the wall as it cuts deeply into Palestine, including the cemetary in Budrus, and would call for the destruction of vast amounts of olive trees that the village relies on for their livelihood. As a result, Ayed arranges for peaceful protests that first only consist of men, with the women joining them later. The protests are not for the weak of heart as injuries are possible as the protestors have to face down not only construction equipment but soldiers deployed to defend them with rubber bullets and tear gas.(Actually, Ayed has spent time in jail and as a fugitive for being a activist.) The protests get much more attention from the press corps when they are joined by international activists. Then, Israeli activists join the cause which is the most important development of them all. Because now it is now longer just "us" versus "them," as the pronouns get dropped and the villagers become friends with people they could never have imagined befriending. At this point, I realize just about anything is possible.
April 28, 2013
*Nothing scares the army more than nonviolent opposition.* This fascinating and tragic documentary tracks the Israeli confiscation of farm land from a small Palestinian village in the early 2000s. It provides a modern example of the complaint of Ezekiel, *The people of the land have used oppressions, committed robbery, and mistreated the poor and needy; and they wrongfully oppress the stranger.* - Ez. 22:29. The village, Budrus, offers nonviolent resistance, especially the Palestinian women, and the situation takes a fascinating turn when Israeli citizens join with the Palestinians to resist the Israeli government incursions. *I saw in reality Israelis defending me from the soldiers of the Occupation. It was strange to see a Jew standing side by side with me,* says one of the Palestinian participants. The Budrus situation was a mere slice of the ongoing injustice, and Americans should make an effort to see this award-winning film.
April 28, 2013
How can I use 'quote marks'?
February 16, 2013
Non-violence please. Another useful documentary.
November 19, 2012
A little candle of hope in the seemingly endless Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Must be seen for its human content.
June 13, 2012
If you haven't seen this, you should.
Bardem  V.
April 30, 2012
Interesting documentary with some moments of joy and others of yawn... The best, the end, not just for be the end, but because it is inspiring.
February 16, 2012
An inspiring documentary of ordinary Palestinian villagers resisting Israeli encroachment upon their olive farms. It's also a tribute to those who have the courage to stand up for what is right, even if it means standing against your country's own interests.
November 9, 2011
Está muy buena...estas películas dentro del 9no. Festival de Cine Judío, M (C)xico pintan buenísimas
October 12, 2011
Proof again when facing the unfair actions of a democracy, non-violent protest is the best way to go. (I added a "democracy" qualifier because even Gandhi admitted Hitler would have just ran him over with tanks)
October 6, 2011
The movie was nice but depressing like any other movie on Palestine. The questions I came out with are: How LONG can Palestinians sustain a non violence stance with the non stop violence they have to sustain every day? Considering that military struggle did not advance the Palestinian issue or bring them back their occupied land, what strategy will give them a better chance? The movie suggests, non violence. Why? It answers because it give them international support IF and only if their non violent struggle gets world-wide attention. Go see the movie and give them some of your attention.
Lin F.
April 13, 2011
In this beautifully structured documentary, the viewer follows the people of Budrus from the timeless beauty of their olive groves into the line of Israeli fire, as tension builds and culminates in dramatic conflict between a steadily growing group of unarmed protesters, and the bulldozing Israeli Defense Force.

Although it would be justifiable to tell this story solely from a Palestinian vantage point, the filmmakers lend even more credibility to the voice of Ayed Morrar, the film's Palestinian protagonist, by respectfully and thoroughly presenting Israeli points of view throughout the film. Soldiers, captains, newscasters and politicians weigh in from the other side of the "wall-in-progress", while back in Budrus - a heroine emerges. Morrar's 15 year old daughter Iltezam is caught on camera jumping into a bulldozer's newly dug pit, to prevent the uprooting of yet another olive tree, as her voice-over describes what was going through her head: "what can one person do?" This heartbreaking, but ultimately uplifting documentary answers that impossible question, by demonstrating the power of peaceful resistance - even in the face of seemingly never ending aggression.
Dew Train
April 6, 2011
This is a wonderful documentary about the power of nonviolent protest against forces who do not hesitate to use live ammunition to get their way.

It is very sad that there are still entities on this earth that think they have the right to take away anything that they can steal, just because they have more weapons or power than those from whom they steal. It is very hopeful and encouraging that some people still chose not to respond with violence, opting for peaceful protest instead.

Budrus was a prime example of just such circumstances. Julia Bacha has captured evidence that, when faced with an armed oppressor, a community of people, even ones who are not all on the same political side initially, can still come together against what they all know to be wrong in a nonviolent way, and actually change things.
Angeline C.
April 4, 2011
Budrus is exceptional! I liked how it shows both sides, the Israeli soldiers and the Palestinians. This film stands above other films I have seen on this subject. It seems to shed light by calling on humanity's consciousness to do what is right in the world. I found Budrus to be an accurate portrayal of a nonviolent resistance movement.

I was really impressed how the different factions had to come together to really make a statement. It was inspiring to see Fatah, Hamas, Israeli and international activists, and especially to see the women protesting for humanity and human rights right along side the men. I like how they use public relations and nonviolent protest to protect their livelihood (Their Olive Groves).

Budrus is in my mind is a must see documentary. I recommend this doc to anyone who wants a "how to" guide for making peace and solidarity between different peoples of the world.
March 30, 2011
THIS IS A MUST SEE Movie. Understand the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians in a way you have never understood it before.
March 26, 2011
10! Inspiring story about a Palestinian village's non-violent fight to preserve their community. Well made, strong positive message. Don't miss it.
March 26, 2011
An amazing, moving and hopeful testament to the power and potential of non-violent action to make the world more just, peaceful and human.
January 30, 2011
Tonight I'm watching 'Budrus' on CBC News Network (Ch 26), airing at 7 and 10 pm, Pacific time.

October 11, 2010