By the Sword Reviews

½ April 15, 2007
Plenty of swordplay fails to sharpen this standard tale of revenge set in the professional world of sword fighting.
November 24, 2007
A good film.
September 6, 2012
A good story played well by great actors makes this unknown film one that deserves more recognition.
August 26, 2011
As good today as it was 20 years ago when I first saw it ... apparently, the critics saw a different movie. One of my all-time favorites!
July 10, 2010
By the sword is one of those movies you find yourself watching when you have a raw case of insomnia. Nevertheless, it was entertaining and Eric Roberts gives a suitable performance as the fencing instructor that values winning above all and should have been cast as the villain instructor in the original Karate Kid. F. Murray does a good job directing the actors and tells a far to familiar story of never judging a book by its cover in a fun and entertaining way.
½ May 20, 2010
A good movie, I like the theme of redemption and always being haunted by your memories and living in the past which now that it has happened you cant change. the Fencing is decent but all the minor characters are forgettable, Abraham and Roberts are good as foils to each other in the last scene...very underrated and almost unknown..always liked Abraham (he is from Pittsburgh) since he played Salieri in Amadeus the Champion of Mediocrity LOL...I also like Eric Roberts who as he gets older has gotten better and is getting some better roles, lmao whenever I see him in the Killers Video Mr Brightside...
½ October 19, 2009
There are movies out there, that have been shot down by critics, and are left largely unknown to the public.

By The Sword is one of those movies. The originality of this movie is that it develops in the world of fencing. The main actors, Eric Roberts and F. Murray Abraham are on top of their game. The story is solid, albeit a little predictable.

Eric Roberts, to me, is stellar in this movie. I've always thought he was a fantastic actor, and I'm stoked that he's back in the game. Of course, opposite to him, F. Murray Abraham also shines. In fact, if only for the two main characters, this is a must-see.

I highly recommend it!
April 2, 2006
Not a bad movie but certainly nothing to really get excited about. I actually found it rather funny as in the main character was always looking so tired. An interesting story as well (murder, lust, ambition, assholes, comedy etc.), probably best if you have nothing really good to watch on a tuesday or something. 6/10 :fresh:
March 14, 2004
I watched this movie with the hopes that it would that actually present fencing realistically and without all the snobs with whom it so often seems to be associated. Silly me. While it is more realistic than other movies I've seen involving fencing, it's stll a far cry from the real thing. The fencing resembles a wierd cross of the three weapons (foil, epee and saber), and it is still presented as dangerous and painful. Gee, maybe the characters would get hurt less often if they'd stop fencing without masks or jackets. The movie also failed to give me any likeable characters. The main guy, played by F. Murray Abraham (cool name at least), while being the most likeable, is so mysterious in the first two acts that I never connected with him, and when his secret is finally revealed, I really didn't care who won in the final duel-to-the-death (Of course! People have duels to the death in fencing! It's part of the glamor.). :(